The Sinister Scheme of Dr. Fu Manchu

What?! No gloating, V?! I guess you missed my post.

I have to admit, I'm glad you settled blue spot. IMHO that and the NE spot are currently the better spots for cities. So good job on that. Will have a look at the save and comment in a bit.

What?! No gloating, V?! I guess you missed my post.

oh why? I thought you were american football fan!

Yeah Jagr was unbelievable and of course awesome Pavelec.
I think the US made a big mistake with running the way they did in 1st period. It was like marathon where you start sprinting first 10 km... guess what will happen in the rest 32...

I was scared they will withhold the scating whole 60 mins, but luckily they totally fall off from the 2nd period on. They clearly hadn't enough power and our team made big adjustments in gameplay with going with long passing completely skipping the checking of the 3 forwards forcing even more backchecking and wasting of power.

Our team looks really strong, they seem to know what to do. There was a little bit luck with the Zidlicky touch, but other then that we seemed to have the situation under control (no cheesy bounces and 2nd shots). The 1st period was really hectic for us ;-).

@FR

good job with that surprising settling ;-) I like it.

agree on ag->ah->tw->pot.

Still would start settler size 2.

Btw the improvements should be farm 1 NW, pasture if AH available.
Would be actually great to build the settler with the cows ;-).

Hmm I am too lazy to calculate it... you can prefarm another FP probably (just mark it), but once you have AH, cows should be improved asap (6 yield tile).

I would settle the 2nd city at the spot 3N, but that will probably do woopdeedoo.

I still regret a bit the already lost opportunity of settling that PH: would have provided for a very unusual gameplay, and that's how one learns the most...

All above is OK with me. Actually, I have reconsidered the tech switch I have earlier suggested as we might not need the cows' +H THAT soon, so it DOES make sense to go pasturing, ergo, AH first.

I am OK with the speedy settling, although I am not using it usually. It seems to have worked well in my previous SG and, on the whole, might be very suitable to a game with financial and early cottageing...

One drawback in the current situation seems to be the placement of the warrior in conjunction with the cleared area: I would have much better preferred him to be to our West.

How do you feel about popping the huts? I usually do this with scouts, but hate it when the AIs pop the ones left behind, so am prone to doing it also with warriors, esp in the early stage...have had some nasty experiences though...

One drawback in the current situation seems to be the placement of the warrior in conjunction with the cleared area: I would have much better preferred him to be to our West.

How do you feel about popping the huts? I usually do this with scouts, but hate it when the AIs pop the ones left behind, so am prone to doing it also with warriors, esp in the early stage...have had some nasty experiences though...

Do you mean our other West? ;) :)

Just pop them with the warrior. I rarely ever build scouts as they are a glorious waste of hammers.

Yep, I think the spot you settled works out well simply as it allows us to mitigate health issues and get up our empire faster. You will often hear that plains cows is a "glitch" when find in the start area as a "food" resource. However, it's actually a very good tile - great for EXP and IMP leaders - but if not combined with better food resources like corn or fish it's not great for the start. Still, given what we have to work with, I will take it over nothing.

Yet, our actual future capital might still be right to the north. Personally I would settle the second city on the spot I recommended - 1W of the PH. That spot screams Bureau Cap

Overall, it was a pretty bad roll of a start though

Well, in reply to the latest posts of both L and V, the placement of Manchu Snarl, aka (still !!) P'yong-something - was suggested by Cam, so all:goodjob:go to him ... as well as all the :cry: if something goes astray....

I won't be returning with the warrior to pop the hut by the initial tile where our settler was created by THE Dr, as it seems more reasonable to make the usual circle and bust the fog - if there isn't a massive request to pop it, of course - but I'll pop the one on, or almost on, the way.

Right now I'd consider the other potential settlings as 5N of the Snarl and 1E or NE of the NE Cam-dot. But it's too early, and I hope to shed some more light on the land to both the NE and N / NNW. These bare lands don't offer too much protection for the warrior, so, keep your fingers crossed!

That hut near the original start is a guaranteed positive pop - well, unless it's map. Anyway, I would go back and grab it before an AI gets it.

General note: City overlap is not a bad thing

That hut near the original start is a guaranteed positive pop - well, unless it's map. Anyway, I would go back and grab it before an AI gets it.

OK, I trust you on this - I am usually playing on larger maps. I'll pop the one SE first and then go NW.

General note: City overlap is not a bad thing

I know, I have had very few games of full-blown cities besides the capital, but I still don't like it...:(

Had a look at the save. I reckon you settled correctly. Also, there is a nice enough spot SW with piggies and clams which would be a nice change from the otherwise desolate wasteland we find ourselves in. My guess is that the AI will have really nice spots but, keeping with our evil scheme, they will not be theirs for too long! MUAHAHAHA!!!

To be repetitive, I believe that we've got a fair amount of exploring and tech'ing (e.g. Horses, Copper) before we have to commit to a second city site.

Right now I'd be looking at 5 North of Manchu Snarl, or a site to the north west to grab the remaining Floodplains, or something to get those Pigs (crap :hammers: down there though), but we're not at that point yet, and don't know if we're on top of the AI or have land to rapidly expand.

Patience my evil brothers and sister ... patience ... and it will all be ours ... haha! Mwahahah! etc. :devil:

(@ woopdeedoo ... 'yes' to IE8 ... I'm a creature of habit ;)).

Hahaha. Cam, I do believe you replied to a post made in another thread! BTW, from your YT vids, it looks like you are using Win7? Consider updating to IE9 if you insist on using IE :D It's a bit less of a crummy browser than its' predecessors.

To be repetitive, I believe that we've got a fair amount of exploring and tech'ing (e.g. Horses, Copper) before we have to commit to a second city site.

Right now I'd be looking at 5 North of Manchu Snarl, or a site to the north west to grab the remaining Floodplains, or something to get those Pigs (crap :hammers: down there though), but we're not at that point yet, and don't know if we're on top of the AI or have land to rapidly expand.

Patience my evil brothers and sister ... patience ... and it will all be ours ... haha! Mwahahah! etc. :devil:

I see two wide diverging takes on our long-term strategy: (1) fast settlement (settler up on L2), quip BW vs (2) go cap, find Cu before 2nd settling. I hope we'll have some additional info before we come to: (1) L3 or (2) no visible horses around. I'll stop at this point if you, guys don't come to an agreement or will pick up whatever I like most, but would like to hear L and W, too.

I'll start, or rather continue playing in a couple of minutes, but you are kindly invited to share thoughts and positions. BTW, I do realize that there are (almost) always various ways to go or different decisions to make.

On monarch the risk of going broke is not big so quick city 2 for some military production will be good.

we have there like 12 flood plains screaming "work me!". We need 3 cities for them ;-). The sooner we start with it the better. The same for cottages...

Once we got financial leader with so many flood plains I kind of don't see other way then brutal rex fueled by those FP's.

The strategic IS problem I concur, but cities are "spawnbusters" too ;-).

I am not sure with the timing if going with settler size 2 or 3 brings him out sooner, since the improvements take time and growth too, it could be that size 3 could be quicker. You should maybe FR do some quick math on it :).

you should not run away with the initial unit though, have him close after some more exploring.

On monarch the risk of going broke is not big so quick city 2 for some military production will be good.

we have there like 12 flood plains screaming "work me!". We need 3 cities for them ;-). The sooner we start with it the better. The same for cottages...

Once we got financial leader with so many flood plains I kind of don't see other way then brutal rex fueled by those FP's.

The strategic IS problem I concur, but cities are "spawnbusters" too ;-).

I am not sure with the timing if going with settler size 2 or 3 brings him out sooner, since the improvements take time and growth too, it could be that size 3 could be quicker. You should maybe FR do some quick math on it :).

you should not run away with the initial unit though, have him close after some more exploring.

I am not sure that I understand the "IS problem" - I know about the "IS curve" but will have to look up the CFC abbr list as I don't think this is relevant, and if it's not there, than, please, somebody help!

I'll continue playing in c. 2 hours from now, and will try to do the fast - and hopefully, simple - math by then.

However, for your pleasure - and to provide you with the opportunity to make an early impact on the game, hear, V, W, hear, hear! - below is the save at T26 (3000 BC), as some thumbnails summing up the map.

In a nutshell, we have got a map, fishing, and $43 from the huts. We have metFDR and Churchill (coming to our place with archers), we have seen, and our warrior is close to, a lion in the East, there are quite a few resources inthe middle range, including 2 horses and 1 stone (and one more 'cow glitch'). We have popped culture and have just arrived to L2. We have a farm on a FP and are working on a cow pasture.

I feel inclined to go the speedy spread-out way - but first and foremost to get one of the pastures that will help with further recon and jumping over the BW (however, please, keep in mind that I almost never did the latter).

I intend to finish the pasture and hook it - although farming another FP doesn't seem a too bad idea either as we don't seem to need the +H yet.

THE MOMENT THE PASTURE IS FINISHED, IT'S TIME TO DECIDE ON SWITCHING TO A SETTLER OR CONTINUING WITH THE WARRIOR.

I'll try to reflect on this in the meantime, but please: those of you that are awake and don't watch football, soccer, hockey, soap, etc., take a look and speculate on which branch of the fork we might better follow....

Attachments

• Fu Manchu BC-3000.CivWarlordsSave
    93.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 104
Short-an-sweet: we have 4 turns till pasture, 5 turns till L3. If we switch to the settler right now, we'll have him in 10 turns (100/(4+3+3). If we wait till L3, we'll have him in 12 turns: 5+ 100/(6+4+3+3) but we would have invested 5 hammers into our 2nd warrior and will be at L3. I am definitely for waiting till L3.:D

You are more than welcome to provide your insight and help to W, whose call it will be as to whether to finish the 2nd warrior first, or to switch immediately to the settler:mischief:

Nevertheless, I'll wait for your comments during the next hour and a half, or so, till I make the last moves of my turnset.

checked the save... looks really good.

We have a lot of flexibility with 2x horse nearby.

From what I saw i agree with growing to size 3 mostly because the cows will be due in 4T
i actually like to expand east 1NW of horse (works some cottages of capital + horses) and 1 SE of western horse.

There seems to be good land (a lot of corns) further, but I think this core is needed first and expand from inner to outer.

I think we have ton of good land around, so we should prioritize settlers over workers for a while ;-)

checked the save... looks really good.

We have a lot of flexibility with 2x horse nearby.

From what I saw i agree with growing to size 3 mostly because the cows will be due in 4T
i actually like to expand east 1NW of horse (works some cottages of capital + horses) and 1 SE of western horse.

There seems to be good land (a lot of corns) further, but I think this core is needed first and expand from inner to outer.

I think we have ton of good land around, so we should prioritize settlers over workers for a while ;-)

With no other ideas externalized, I am postponing the settler till L3, and making the last moves of my turnset.

I'll be considering all the rest at my leisure later:D

The save will be uploaded right thereupon.

Cam, I think I am off and W on after T30, right?

Ok, I stopped at t29.

Nothing extraordinary, but a minor decision is to be made: what to do with the worker till TW (in 3t) and the Pottery (in 8 more turns) come in. I'd suggest that he farms the farthest NE FP: without the +1f much later to come for farmed tiles, we seem to be at total food count of -1f now. But more importantly, we have two reasonable chores to do: farm or mine. I prefer accelerated growth with an additional 1$. But it's up to discussion or, if insignificant at all, W might make the decision (hopefully, after giving some thought to what has been thrown in on this issue.

I personally like very much the dot 1NE of the cows in our SW: grabs cow, horse, and corn: a very nice 2nd settlement. But we shouldn't forget to be true to our character, ie our Midas touch.... Horses would be nice though to deal with archers and find out the AIs - except the Russians, of whose land - in our SE-end - we had a glimpse after meeting their scout the last but one turn.

OK, below are the save and the thumbnails. A short report will follow.

Bon voyage, W!

Attachments

• Fu Manchu BC-2880.CivWarlordsSave
    94.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 93
4000 BC (t1) - settler starts searching for a place to exploit the FPs without the risk of suffocation

3880 BC (t4) - P'yongyang on the map (does it mean that no Korean city is on the map, or that their capital has a different name? I can feign I didn't rename our capital to Snarl in emulation of the most minisculous tricks of THE Dr, but the truth is: I forgot. Do you believe it?:lol:
Worker (15t), Agri (9t)

3800 BC (t6) - hut popped -> a map indicating that we are close to the Southern pole of the Earth

3680 BC (t9) - culture-pop cum hut-pop -> Fishing is ours for free, not so bad in this food-scarce land, oh, well we need to get to the coast first:mischief:

3640 BC (t10) - 2nd hut pop - $43:cool: but could be more:(

3520 BC (t13) - Agriculture>AH (11t)
Lions on the hill that is 4W of Snarl

3400 BC (t16) - stone seen in the North

3360 BC (t17) - FDR (archer on the stone): peace

3280 BC (t19) - Snarl: worker>warrior (15t), worker starts farm

3160 BC (t22) - warrior sees a lion nearby (DON'T FORGET, please, the lion is still lurking around our warrior (close by, on the N side), the Russian scout was evidently not considered quite so delicious, so BEWARE!!)
Buddhism fdl

3080 BC (t24) - AH>TW (8t)
TWO horses in sight

3000 BC (t26) - Churchill's archer at the NE end of our fat cross; peace
Worker moves onto cow to pasture
Snarl grows to L2

2920 BC (t28) - Stalin's scout appears right by our warrior, he's below us in score :eek: has met only FDR and is already annoyed with him :crazyeye: So untypical! Some kind of a trick of THE comrade? He's trying to pull the leg of the Dr?:mad:

2880 BC (t29) - the Westren border of the Russian empire seen in our SE-est end, as of now.
Worker finishes pasture

Expected: L3 in 2t, 2nd warrior in 2t, TW in 3t, an eaten-up warrior in ...t.

Question of the turnset: Where the ... is Korea, Dr?

END OF TURNSET

Thanks for the report ... and well done on keeping our Warrior alive 'to boot'! :)

Good to see there are quite a few settle-able spots (and Stone in case we had an interest in The Pyramids :mischief:). I agree that both Horse tiles can be taken in by pretty nice city sites, and that Gold-Pigs-Clams city is another.

I think that 'light apricot' culture is Korea, not Russia.

Roosevelt {developmental} and Stalin {conflict-oriented} tension is to be expected. Although it includes BtS leaders, see peaceweight.pdf where leaders at the extreme ends of the chart tend not to 'get along' from the outset. This whole thing is kind of messy to explain, and I'm not sure if you have a handle on this 'peaceweight', 'warmonger respect', 'base attitude' etc. stuff already or not.

Top Bottom