Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

You can probably squeeze more out of a homebuilt than a prebuilt.

It seems I've got a problem:

Spoiler :

Immediately following the AI's turn, the tech change occurs, right? After Democracy (as seen in the bottom right) I advance to the industrial age. But instead the game crashes. This is not a bug with the scenario, it happens in epic games too. So it has to be a problem with something else.

Any ideas guys?

In WordPress Im tinkering around with php files to do different functions. Of course i keep a backup. Question -- is this a good way to learn things?

It seems I've got a problem:

Spoiler :

Immediately following the AI's turn, the tech change occurs, right? After Democracy (as seen in the bottom right) I advance to the industrial age. But instead the game crashes. This is not a bug with the scenario, it happens in epic games too. So it has to be a problem with something else.

Any ideas guys?

Visit the civ iii tech support forum

Visit the civ iii tech support forum

I was concerned that this may be a problem with my computer hardware rather than the civ3 engine.

What would cost more, replacing a prebuilt laptop's graphics card and motherboard, replacing said laptops's cooling system, or buying a new prebuilt laptop outright with the same specs?

New laptop, although the motherboard and GPU come close.

Depends on the cost really. For a 400$ laptop, the three may as well be equivalent.

I recently installed DivX player on my vista x64 desktop. Ever since, playing video in any program causes the computer to crash, about 2 seconds into the video playing. It is also crashing when the power-saving feature automatically shuts off the monitor. Rolling back the display driver didn't make any difference.

help meeeeeeeeee

I recently installed DivX player on my vista x64 desktop. Ever since, playing video in any program causes the computer to crash, about 2 seconds into the video playing. It is also crashing when the power-saving feature automatically shuts off the monitor. Rolling back the display driver didn't make any difference.

help meeeeeeeeee

Id say a codec issue. Try removing that completely and install K-Lite Codec Pack or CCCP. (I use K-Lite but other members here use CCCP).

What is a | called?

Pipe.

Ok thanks.

Question: On my site I have a directory of PDF's. I left the directory listing open because theres nothing else in there and it makes it easier to grab the URL's I need (you can look yourself if you want.). The directory permissions are 755, all the files are 644 and the parent directory is blocked off. Is there any risk to leaving it open?

According to my experience, If i run a graphics-intensive program on a desktop, the computer will freeze and I have to force a reboot. However, if I run the same program on a laptop with similar specs, I will instead get an error message, and the program closes instead of freezing the computer.

Is this generally true when it comes to computers?

According to my experience, If i run a graphics-intensive program on a desktop, the computer will freeze and I have to force a reboot. However, if I run the same program on a laptop with similar specs, I will instead get an error message, and the program closes instead of freezing the computer.

Check that you have the newest graphics and main board drivers installed.

It depends on the graphics driver Id say

What is the error message, what are the various drivers, what are the specs? Is one system running a different OS? I know that Windows 7 (and to a degree, Vista) recover from driver crashes fairly well, while XP just bombs.

What is the error message, what are the various drivers, what are the specs? Is one system running a different OS? I know that Windows 7 (and to a degree, Vista) recover from driver crashes fairly well, while XP just bombs.

Yeah, that was one of the issues I had to deal with. My XP machine... the drivers would crash minimum once a month. Eventually it got to the point where I could completely remove and reinstall the graphics driver in 5 minutes flat, not including installation time.

On Vista, Ive actually seen the graphic driver crash once (overheating) and then recover itself without a reboot. It was ... interesting.

Yeah, I was referring to old Dell desktops and laptops I used to have, both of which had XP. Since using my current two laptops, one with 32 bit Vista and the other with 64 bit Vista, I've only had to deal with such crashes just a few times, unlike repeatedly like with the old XP Dell computers. I forget what most of the specs were, but the laptop was eventually upgraded to have 2 gigs of RAM.
Yeah, that was one of the issues I had to deal with. My XP machine... the drivers would crash minimum once a month. Eventually it got to the point where I could completely remove and reinstall the graphics driver in 5 minutes flat, not including installation time.

On Vista, Ive actually seen the graphic driver crash once (overheating) and then recover itself without a reboot. It was ... interesting.
I've seen that a number of times with my old XP machines. Haven't seen that on my current laptops.

Top Bottom