Thinking about YouTube videos

Jester Fool

Emperor
Hello Dune Wars fans. I operate under the assumption that Dune Wars is one of the best (if not the best) mods. I have a YouTube account (for videos) and a JustinTV account (for live videos). Posting my games (in written format) takes a lot of time (but I will finish the games I have already started). Also, there is the issue of pictures (too many on a page) causing loading times to be too long (for a single post since all pictures in a page get loaded at one time). I have the passion, but are enough people interested in seeing a playthrough of Dune Wars on YouTube (similar to what AbsoluteZero (check out his vids) does for Deity play in vanilla civ)? Let me know. Somebody should do it - I wouldn't mind being that person. The spice must flow.

It sounds great. I haven't done much with video. I assume that the vid would be 15 minutes in length, and the actual gameplay would be much longer than that. Is it easier to edit video, compared to taking pictures and writing captions?

Initially, YouTube would be a PITA but once the 15 min. limit is lifted, the effort would be trivial. I think you have to get enough views though to get the time limit lifted but I could be wrong. JustinTV otoh, you just cast (the easiest method). Not that big of deal either way but it would be embarrassing if the views were low. Hence, the main question is whether there is enough interest. YouTube would not be feasible with low interest (due to the time limit) but casting I will probably do regardless (for the fun factor - and I could always post when I am fixing to play).

but once the 15 min. limit is lifted, the effort would be trivial.
I don't think anyone would be interested in watching to watch a youtube video more than 15 minutes long about a Civ4 mod.

I thought you had in mind creating a "highlights reel" video, covering the major strategic decisions and fun points in the game, with a narration. That could be cool, but it would probably be a lot of work to create.
I think it would be very dull for the viewer to literally just watch you play; Civ is a pretty dull game to watch. Gamecasting is better suited for games which are more active and which are shorter; a civ game can take many hours. No-one is going to watch that.

No-one is going to watch that
Maybe not me playing perhaps...but AbsoluteZero gets a lot of views - I am one of them. Same thing for TheMeInTeam. Of course they play vanilla civ.

I love watching "let's play" videos on YouTube. It's a great way for a 4x novice like myself to get a handle on a new turn based strategy game of which I generally suck at.

Go for it!

I don't think anyone would be interested in watching to watch a youtube video more than 15 minutes long about a Civ4 mod.

I thought you had in mind creating a "highlights reel" video, covering the major strategic decisions and fun points in the game, with a narration. That could be cool, but it would probably be a lot of work to create.
I think it would be very dull for the viewer to literally just watch you play; Civ is a pretty dull game to watch. Gamecasting is better suited for games which are more active and which are shorter; a civ game can take many hours. No-one is going to watch that.

A bit of a necro, but I know hundreds of people who like watching an hour long videos from certain youtubers. If you know how to narrate, let's plays are a great business.

Allright, I've decided to start my own LP. I am not a good talker (yet) and I haven't played this mod much, so it's a semi-blind let's play, but since nobody else does it I guess it's my duty, because I really like this mod :).

Once I get better with the mod and the english speaking, I plan to start another LP, more professional and representative.

Top Bottom