Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

The Python code is failing to load. It sounds as if the mod may not have the fixes needed to make it compatible with the Mac version. A lot of mods contain code that looks in the Windows Registry to discover where the game software is installed. That code fails on a Mac, of course. We fixed it in BUG but Ruff may not have included the changes in his mod.

If I get time this evening I'll download it and have a look.

The Python code is failing to load. It sounds as if the mod may not have the fixes needed to make it compatible with the Mac version. A lot of mods contain code that looks in the Windows Registry to discover where the game software is installed. That code fails on a Mac, of course. We fixed it in BUG but Ruff may not have included the changes in his mod.

If I get time this evening I'll download it and have a look.

Really? The only reason I am trying Ruff's is that I was told that BUG will not run correctly on a Mac. Is there a version of BUG that works for Mac?:)

Yes, this whole thread is about running BUG on a Mac. But as stated by EF above, the "B" in BUG stands for BtS. I thought the reason for trying Ruff's mod is that you want a Warlords mod!

Or did I miss something between post #250 and here?

Yes, this whole thread is about running BUG on a Mac. But as stated by EF above, the "B" in BUG stands for BtS. I thought the reason for trying Ruff's mod is that you want a Warlords mod!

Or did I miss something between post #250 and here?

Right, I forgot the issue is that it won't work on Warlords. So, I hope you will look at Ruff's mod and fix it for Warlords, if that's not a big hassle. Thanks.:)

I've confirmed that the first problem is the assumption that the Windows Registry is available, and I've hacked that code to work. However, it is now claiming that it has failed to read the .ini file, even though it appears to have done so successfully. I'm still working on that ...

I've now worked through a couple more Python problems and got the Python code to load successfully. However, when I start a game it crashes. There is no Python error message, the game software just bombs while interpreting some Python code.

I'm not too sure where to go from here. Debugging this problem probably needs someone with a better understanding of the sequence of calls handled by the mod Python code during game startup.

I've now worked through a couple more Python problems and got the Python code to load successfully. However, when I start a game it crashes. There is no Python error message, the game software just bombs while interpreting some Python code.

I'm not too sure where to go from here. Debugging this problem probably needs someone with a better understanding of the sequence of calls handled by the mod Python code during game startup.

Hey, thanks for trying. Anybody else want to take a crack at this Pyton code problem? PLEASE!:D

I had another crack at it after a night's sleep. Here is a zip file containing four files that I modified while getting it going. I'm not certain that all the changes I made along the way are necessary, but I'm not going to take time to go back and undo them to find out.

Download and unzip the attachment, and put each file into the mod in place of the installed one of the same name. Here are the full paths and names for each file ('~/' means the '/Users/<your_user_name>' folder):

~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/Assets/python/screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/Assets/python/screens/CvModSpecialDomesticAdvisor.py
~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/Assets/python/RuffModControl.py
~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/RuffMod_2w.ini

Please note that I made sure that the mod folder was called 'RuffMod_2w'. It may not get this name when you unzip the downloaded mod initially. Please rename it if necessary, to ensure that the mod can find itself.

I haven't tested it very thoroughly. I just made sure I could start a game, there are no Python error messages, and that it doesn't crash when I open up the options screens - you use Alt-J to get to the mod options once it's running.

Please let me know whether it works for you.

Attachments

• RuffModMods.zip
    35.1 KB · Views: 199
I had another crack at it after a night's sleep. Here is a zip file containing four files that I modified while getting it going. I'm not certain that all the changes I made along the way are necessary, but I'm not going to take time to go back and undo them to find out.

Download and unzip the attachment, and put each file into the mod in place of the installed one of the same name. Here are the full paths and names for each file ('~/' means the '/Users/<your_user_name>' folder):

~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/Assets/python/screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/Assets/python/screens/CvModSpecialDomesticAdvisor.py
~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/Assets/python/RuffModControl.py
~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/RuffMod_2w/RuffMod_2w.ini

Please note that I made sure that the mod folder was called 'RuffMod_2w'. It may not get this name when you unzip the downloaded mod initially. Please rename it if necessary, to ensure that the mod can find itself.

I haven't tested it very thoroughly. I just made sure I could start a game, there are no Python error messages, and that it doesn't crash when I open up the options screens - you use Alt-J to get to the mod options once it's running.

Please let me know whether it works for you.

Congratulations! I tried it, but I am having the problem you had yesterday. It crashes when I try to start a game with the mod. I checked and rechecked, but I can't figure out what I did wrong with the files.

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt, but could you please upload the entire mod file that you are using? That way, I could just drop it into the Warloads Mod folder to be sure all the files are in the right places. Thanks.:)

Here it is. It's a zip file, of course. Unzip it to create a folder. Make sure that folder is called RuffMod_2w, and put it in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Warlords/Mods/

Attachments

• RuffMod_2w.zip
    647.2 KB · Views: 191
I installed it correctly, but it still crashes when I try to launch a game. Since it runs okay on your Mac but not on mine, there has to be something peculiar going on with my computer. Maybe some other Mac user who plays Warlords can download and see whether they also have this problem. I may be having some sort of "init conflict" problem, or something like that happening. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. It is really appreciated!

What does the crash report say?

[EDIT] Hmm! Mine's doing the same now. Strange - it worked fine immediately before I posted the modded files. Investigating

If Autolog is enabled when you start a game, then it crashes.

My test was with a blank RuffMod_2w.ini file, so Autolog was disabled. But when you start a game in that state, the mod automatically sets Autolog to Enabled = 1. As a result, the next time you start a game it crashes. I gave you a copy of my .ini file that had been set to Enabled = 1 after my successful single test run.

I can get it to start up multiple times if I use the attached RuffMod_2w.ini file. This has the following settings for AUTOLOG:

[AUTOLOG]
Silent = 0
Enabled = 0

Unfortunately, this means you will not be able to use Autologging.

However, there is another option available for use with Warlords. I have created a Mac version of each of the HoF Mods for use in the Games of the Month, and you can download the Warlords one here. Download that and install it. As far as I can tell, it contains all the same stuff as RuffMod - and it all works!

Just to be annoying, this one should be installed in /Applications/Civilization IV/Warlords/Mods/. I think it will work in the ~/Documents ... /Mods/ folder, but if you ever want to use it to play a Game of the Month then you will need it to be in the /Applications/.... folder.

So there you go - two options!!

Attachments

• RuffMod_2w.ini.zip
    726 bytes · Views: 196
Okay, this is progress. The new RuffMod_2w.ini file does the trick. It's too bad there is no user instructions in his upload for computer-dummies like me. The reason I wanted this mod in the first place was to help with dot mapping. I don't see any mapping tools here in his options when I hit Options-J. Am I missing something? Thanks again!

I think dot mapping was introduced in BUG, but I'm not an expert. If so, it won't be in either RuffHof or HoFMod.

Isn't there some sort of dot mapping tool in the basic game?

Ok, got the BUG mod working fine after doing some of the editing from earlier in the thread. I have a Pitboss game going (my desktop machine runs Windows), and I tried to connect to that game with my Macbook Pro. When I get into the main game screen, I have no UI.

I remember that being a problem when I first installed BUG. I also know that when I connect to the Pitboss game via Windows the game does not run BUG. My guess is that the edited files are causing the loss of UI.

I'm assuming there's no way to enable/disable BUG in the Mac. Am I correct in that assumption?

The other thought I had was that maybe there is a may to have another install of BtS without the BUG mod installed so that I can use that for the Pitboss game. Is that possible?

Thanks for any help!

I think dot mapping was introduced in BUG, but I'm not an expert. If so, it won't be in either RuffHof or HoFMod.

Isn't there some sort of dot mapping tool in the basic game?

At one point in this saga, I got to a place where you can toggle between what he calls "map mode" and "player mode." I activated it accidentally. I am just going to experiment with it some more to figure out things.

Regarding the logging issue you mentioned, here is something Ruff wrote about logging…

I have extensively modified the logger based on personal experience and feedback from the forums. All logger information is controlled via a ini file (a la HOF logger) in a number of ways ...

The logger does NOT start on game start. You have to start the logger yourself using ALT-L. It will then display a dialog box regarding logging.
However, if you select the 'silent' option, the logger will start automatically with default file names and no in game messages
You also have the option of showing "IBT:" after the completion of your turn and before the computers turn
You can also dump battle statistics (total units victorious and defeated split between attacking and defending) to the log with ALT-B. This will also reset the counters.
The logger can now log war status (without any DLL changes in the vanilla version)
The logger can now log changes in State Religion
The logger can now log changes in attitudes
The logger can now log changes in civics
The combat message now contains the combat victory probability and location of the battle
The tech commenced message now contains the number of turns to learn the tech
The build (units and buildings) messages now contain the number of turns to complete the item

http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-168783.html

I found that the logger does start automatically unless you explicitly set Silent = 0.

If Enabled is omitted, or explicitly set to 0 in the .ini file then the game enables logging after the first game launch, and sets Enabled = 1. If Silent is not explicitly set to 0 then the next game launch will automatically start logging, and that causes the Mac version to crash.

As I say, I believe the HoF Mod's implementation of Autologger works better.

That sounds like it is expecting a different version of Warlords than the one you have. Perhaps there was a more recent Warlords patch that broke Ruff's mod. You can try the steps on the Troubleshooting page in my sig (should be the same for Warlords), and I can try to help, but I'll be pretty limited since it's been so long and I don't have Civ4 at all on this new machine.

That being said, I'm sad to say that Ruff's mod doesn't include dot mapping. That's a feature of BUG. If you want to get your hands dirty in Python coding you could extract it with a few weekends of work.

Ok, got the BUG mod working fine after doing some of the editing from earlier in the thread. I have a Pitboss game going (my desktop machine runs Windows), and I tried to connect to that game with my Macbook Pro. When I get into the main game screen, I have no UI.

I remember that being a problem when I first installed BUG. I also know that when I connect to the Pitboss game via Windows the game does not run BUG. My guess is that the edited files are causing the loss of UI.

I'm assuming there's no way to enable/disable BUG in the Mac. Am I correct in that assumption?

The other thought I had was that maybe there is a may to have another install of BtS without the BUG mod installed so that I can use that for the Pitboss game. Is that possible?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, you can enable and disable BUG. The method depends on where you installed BUG.

A) If it is installed as a mod:
1) if you haven't modified the .ini file for BTS, just don't load the BUG mod
2) or you can modified the .ini file:
&#8230;...find these lines:

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = 0

when you don't want BUG running the lines should be as above
when you do want BUG running modify the second line to read:
Mod = Mods/BUG Mod

B) If it is installed in CustomAssets in your "~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword" folder:
1) Rename CustomAssets as something else, such as "BUG CustomAssets", when you don't want to use BUG. CIV will create a new empty CustomAssets folder when it runs. When you want to use BUG again, delete the empty CustomAssets folder and rename the one with BUG as Custom Assets again.

2) Alternatively, just move the CustomAssets folder with BUG in it out of the CIV BTS folder to wherever you like. When you want to use BUG again move it back into the BUG BTS folder and answer yes when MAC OSX asks if you want to replace the existing folder (which is empty, as above).

As to why you have trouble with the Pit Boss games. One of the authors, I think it was EmperorFool, (who I know is participating in this thread), said elsewhere in reply to a similar question that BUG Mod was designed for single player games and may not work properly in multiplayer games.

Top Bottom