Unable to play. Blank Menu!

Rugal

Chieftain
Hi.

When I execute dunewars everything seems fine, but the menu graphic interface is blank. Apparently this is an installation problem as I have readed in this forum, but I think I have done everything properly:

- CIV IV
- CIV IV Beyond the Sword Patch 3.19
- Dune Wars 1.9.1b final
- Dune Wars 1.9.6 patch

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Rugal

if by blank it means you have no text to click on, like new game you have to unpack the fpk. we had guys with similar issues with master of mana

I highly doubt that unpacking the fpk will help. Are you able to play other mods you have downloaded? Do you have any local files in your "my games" directory such as other GUI extensions for Civ IV? If so, you may try deleting these as they may conflict with all mods. It is also worthwhile to try turning on python exceptions to see if any messages appear. There is an older problem related to foreign language extensions, if your "My documents" subdirectory has non-English characters; but I am pretty sure that was fixed a while ago.

I guess the OP does play Civ4 normally in another language than English.
And if a mod only supports English (like the most), you'll get blank menus after start. The solution: Change the ingame language to English and start the mod afterwards.

unpacking the fpk did help for some weird reason. of course we tried setting the language to English first as well as some other things (like a clean install of cIV to get rid of other mods interfering).

if by blank it means you have no text to click on, like new game you have to unpack the fpk. we had guys with similar issues with master of mana

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Where can I find this fpk files? I have searched all over the Civ4 folder and I don´t find it.

I highly doubt that unpacking the fpk will help. Are you able to play other mods you have downloaded? Do you have any local files in your "my games" directory such as other GUI extensions for Civ IV? If so, you may try deleting these as they may conflict with all mods. It is also worthwhile to try turning on python exceptions to see if any messages appear. There is an older problem related to foreign language extensions, if your "My documents" subdirectory has non-English characters; but I am pretty sure that was fixed a while ago.

My Windows 7 realease is an Spanish version, but we have all your characters in our dictionary. This is what I have in "My games" folder. Do you want me to delete all CIV shortcuts in there? By the way I have not tried other Civ IV mods, but I can tell you CIV IV runs properly.

How do I turn on python exceptions?

I highly doubt the fpks are the problem. As suggested by The_J, few mods contain support for all languages. Temporarily, please try this: start the base game with no mods; set the game language to English; exit all the way out of the game; then start Dune Wars. If this solves the problem, at least we know what is wrong. One contributor did translate the entire mod into French, which is greatly appreciated. Most mods do not have the resources to translate the entire mod, so most mods are only playable in English.

I highly doubt the fpks are the problem. As suggested by The_J, few mods contain support for all languages. Temporarily, please try this: start the base game with no mods; set the game language to English; exit all the way out of the game; then start Dune Wars. If this solves the problem, at least we know what is wrong. One contributor did translate the entire mod into French, which is greatly appreciated. Most mods do not have the resources to translate the entire mod, so most mods are only playable in English.

There you go! After changing the lenguage in CIV Beyond The Sword from Spanish to English, Dune Wars menu is perfectly visible!

Thanks again fellas!

Top Bottom