Civilization V: Brave New World Fall Patch Public Beta

Japan still feels very weak compared to other civs.
Germany will take a bit more playing to get a feel for, but im not very impressed so far.

Other than that, good work on the patch.

Cheers.
Main problems are still there: the UAs. Furor Teutonicus is still terrible - who wants a bunch of weak melee units? I thought their intention was to make it different to Iklwa, but it's still very similar, and much worse.
As for Bushido, I remember seeing some mathematical explanations to why it's an almost irrelevant bonus, so that's still there.
The Hanse and Samurai/fishing buffs are cool, but IMO Germany is now a mediocre civ instead of terrible and Japan remains among the worst.

These are existing bugs, but quick to fix:

Advanced setup.lua
line 827 should read: "for i = numPlayers, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS - 1 do" (it's missing the -1)

TradeLogic.lua
line 2133 should read: "for i = 0, GameDefines.MAX_CIV_PLAYERS - 1 do" (it's missing the -1)

PlotMouseoverInclude.lua
line 258 should read: "for i = 0, numUnits - 1 do" (it's missing the -1)

CivilopediaScreen.lua
line 2461 should read: "if thisTech.AllowEmbassyTradingAllowed then" (y, not ies)

ReligionOverview.lua
lines 444 & 521 should read: "if (pPlayer:IsEverAlive()) then" rather than ":IsAlive()" or commented out

UniqueBonuses.lua
missing a line which reads: "local nullOffset = Vector2( 0, 0 );"

With regards to the problematic popup queue management, noticed that:

1/ Demographics.lua, GenericPopup.lua, and VictoryProgress.lua are all lack the call to "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupShown"

2/ TechPopup.lua is calling "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed" rather than "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed.CallImmediate"

3/ the call to "Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed.CallImmediate" is done by the ShowHideHandler upon hiding the popup, but the problem with this logic is that popups may be hidden by the game engine when encountering a higher priority popup e.g. upon function key press, once the higher priority one is closed the lower priority one is restored, so Events.SerialEventGameMessagePopupProcessed.CallImmediate gets called again for no reason. And actually both cases can occur, because e.g. when clicking with the mouse on toppanel item the popup has a low priority and does not get displayed until the one called with the function key is closed... And when pressing function keys in sequence it can quickly become a mess :crazyeye: it's actually surprising the game engine gets popups stuck so rarely

Do samurais dissapear after finishing boat?

if they would why build a samurai to do the work boat job?
but even if they dont it seems pointless to me, the time a samurai takes to move to next city another boat is built sooner

This was answered in the thread:
No, this is essentially a worker action for them. Your Samurai embarks, moves to an improvable sea resource, and then a worker action appears allowing you to create a fishing boat. You can do this with as many sea resources as you have within your borders.

i just found a mistake (or something forgotten) in the civilopedia. It claims that Berserkers are available at metal casting, instead of steel. The unit description says the same, although it is sadly not true. Is that a planned balance change for denmark? If so, i'm all for it.

i just found a mistake (or something forgotten) in the civilopedia. It claims that Berserkers are available at metal casting, instead of steel. The unit description says the same, although it is sadly not true. Is that a planned balance change? If so, i'm all for it.

I don't think so.
Sure, longswords wouldn't be just one tech away from muskets, but then regular swords would be just one tech away from longswords. If anything, muskets need to be moved up by one or two techs.

I don't think so.
Sure, longswords wouldn't be just one tech away from muskets, but then regular swords would be just one tech away from longswords. If anything, muskets need to be moved up by one or two techs.

to clarify: It claims that Berserkers are available earlier as part of their specials. That buff for denmark would be nice.

I also have a minor nitpick concerning the german UB: Hanse is the name of the organisation, the buildings were usually referred to as Kontor or Hansekontor

The changes to the commerce tree are good on the whole. Now there is only 1 nearly worthless policy (mercenary army). For Mercenary Army to be worthwhile you have to open commerce directly after your first tree. This means that it would either replace patronage for consulates which seems superior in most cases or delay rationalism and your ideology. Landsknechts are not that good even though they are cheap. After the medieval era they quickly lose value. One option would be to decrease the gold cost for purchasing units. Another option would be to provide another unit like the landsknechts in the modern era. Guerillas perhaps?

Still disappointed because no fixes for Hotseat/MP (well, MP has gotten some fixes), and no denoucing.. human to human diplomacy should be more "interactive" :(

Turns seem longer to me, too. More specifically, during the city-state phase.

I also would like to point out that you say there are 3 city state one for each type, when there's 5 city state types (Military, Maritime, Cultural, Religious and mercantile).

to clarify: It claims that Berserkers are available earlier as part of their specials. That buff for denmark would be nice.

I also have a minor nitpick concerning the german UB: Hanse is the name of the organisation, the buildings were usually referred to as Kontor or Hansekontor

Google tells me the Hanse can be both the organization and the Kontor.

Moderator Action: Please read the guidelines for this thread, from the opening post:
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

To make this as efficient as possible, we’d like to follow some basic guidelines:

1. We are using this as an opportunity to correct bugs with the game. Because we are close to release, new features or additions cannot be considered.
  2. We are focusing primarily on functionality related to the patch change-list, with a secondary priority on older bugs that we might have missed.
  3. To keep things moving at a brisk rate, if you spot a bug, please post a new thread to the 2K Civilization support forum (http://tinyurl.com/n93yx2z) with the subject starting with “[BETA]”, so something like this: “[BETA] – The new Great Work “The Kiss” image isn’t displaying”. This helps the engineers to quickly pinpoint beta specific bugs while browsing the forum. We will also be monitoring the “Civ5 – Bug Reports” forum at CivFanatics.
  4. Within the thread, please post a save of the turn before the problem reveals itself, along with a description of what you did, and any other supporting info you think would help, like a screenshot. This will allow our engineers to grab the save, and see what’s causing the problem quickly.
  5. If you experience a crash while playing, go to the root folder of the game (mine is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\), and check for a “[filename].mdmp” file that corresponds to the date and time of the crash. If you have one, please zip it up and post it to the support forum in the format above.
Moderator Action: They are not looking for the features you miss, but issues you may encounter with the patch. Please post according to the guidelines.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

if they would why build a samurai to do the work boat job?
but even if they dont it seems pointless to me, the time a samurai takes to move to next city another boat is built sooner

It's cheaper. Much cheaper on low-hammer cities. And another reason to gun for Steel (or is it Chivalry? I never play Japan).

Is the Landscknecht supposed to be on the tech tree?

Also yay, the fixed the damn notifications in hotseat!!! Now I can see when Pantheons/Religions/Friendships are founded!

I notice that the American Minuteman receives the promotion which allows them to earn Golden Age points from kills:

Code:
<Row>
      <UnitType>UNIT_AMERICAN_MINUTEMAN</UnitType>
      <PromotionType>PROMOTION_GOLDEN_AGE_POINTS</PromotionType>
</Row>

This wasn't documented, so perhaps a mistake?

Top Bottom