QUESTION about cultural victory

I can't look at it right now, I'm at work.
Sometimes I enter the industrial era via Fertilizer if that will give a big food boost. It comes right after Chemistry, which gives a boost to production.

I gave it a quick look. I see a couple of problems; you should have build the hermitage in your city with all the culture wonders (I think that was Beijing.) And you need roads connecting your cities so your units can move around faster, and more importantly for the free gold.

It looks like you're doing better :)

You probably will be ahead of the King AI if you reach industrial by 1690 AD, but it depends on how the AI is doing. You can check in the demographics.

The most enlightening is that you pointed out my not using trade routes for food within the empire, also, not to focus too much on Wonders.

The problem about road is coming from myself. I always worry about enemies using roads to quickly reach my other cities for assaults. The other main reasons is because of the maintenance costs, is that one 1 :commerce: per tile? What free gold? Please enlighten again.

Currently, I have researched archaeology. Now, I have a serious problem: what do I do with the Antiquity Sites not within anyone's borders? Also, if I setup a landmark within another civ's border, will I have any benefits by doing so?

Also, about Liberty and Tradition. I ve found every time I choose Tradition, my :commerce: grows bigger and faster. If I choose Liberty, I have settlers and workers, but I get relatively poorer. Do you have the same experience?

Attachments

• AutoSave_0209 AD-1878.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
The problem about road is coming from myself. I always worry about enemies using roads to quickly reach my other cities for assaults. The other main reasons is because of the maintenance costs, is that one 1 :commerce: per tile? What free gold? Please enlighten again.

A couple of points. First, on enemy military use of your roads, roads inside your culture borders only provide a movement bonus to civs with which you have an open borders treaty -- and, by definition, you have no such treaty when you are at war with that civ. So, no need to fear that your own roads will be used against you in a war.

Second, this War Academy article explains the economics of road, railroad and harbor connections with your capital. It was written for the vanilla version of the game, and refers to road and harbor connections as "trade routes" (in BNW, they are now "city connections"), but the economics of city connections have not changed from vanilla to G&K to BNW, so everything in the article is still accurate (other than its use of the obsolete term "trade route").

A couple of points. First, on enemy military use of your roads, roads inside your culture borders only provide a movement bonus to civs with which you have an open borders treaty -- and, by definition, you have no such treaty when you are at war with that civ. So, no need to fear that your own roads will be used against you in a war.

Second, this War Academy article explains the economics of road, railroad and harbor connections with your capital. It was written for the vanilla version of the game, and refers to road and harbor connections as "trade routes" (in BNW, they are now "city connections"), but the economics of city connections have not changed from vanilla to G&K to BNW, so everything in the article is still accurate (other than its use of the obsolete term "trade route").

GREAT! Thanks for the pointers.

World War 0:D:D

I replayed the game from Industrial and get to the current #210

I am at War against with Russia and the Mayan.

And I have traded with Assyria to start war against Russia.

Now Portugal has declared war against Assyria

India is at war against Japan...

Check the Notification Log

This is really interesting....

Attachments

• WW1 Wu Zetian_0210 AD-1880.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
Also, about Liberty and Tradition. I ve found every time I choose Tradition, my :commerce: grows bigger and faster. If I choose Liberty, I have settlers and workers, but I get relatively poorer. Do you have the same experience?

This is generally true, and most players face this difficulty when playing liberty. Tradition has direct bonuses to gold. 4 free culture buildings + 4 free aqueducts will save you 8 GPT from maintenance, and you'll have gold from Monarchy, a 20 pop capital will give + 10 gold. Liberty does not give any gold directly, you could arguably save some gold since you can afford to have fewer workers because they improve faster but that's it, no free stuff, no gold bonus. Then there is the tall vs wide debate. Tradition is associated with tall play since it gives food bonuses, a lot of bonuses in capital, and generally bonuses towards having few tall cities (free stuff in first 4 cities, happiness that is proportional with number of citizens in the city, etc). Liberty on the other hand seems tailored for wide empires, you get a bonus for settlers and workers, per city bonuses (+1 hammer, +1 happiness), and a deduction in SP cost based on number of cities.

Tall play is a lot more efficient for the GPT than wide. City connections will give more gold because the formula is based on city population. More cities require more roads so more maintenance costs. Also having 4 copies of each building is a lot cheaper than having 7-8 or more. Just for the Colosseum, in a 4 city tradition game you pay 8 GPT, but with a wide 8 city liberty game you will pay 16 GPT.

Well, it's most enjoyable when I am winning the game, I suppose that is a natural feeling.

But then, I have now been thinking what it would be like to play instead of the AI, against human players in MP games.

There are a couple of things that is observed:

1) The AI on King difficulty is merciful when attacking. Their numbers may be appauling at times, but they could do better when it comes to killing my military units. When playing against human players, I wonder how merciful will my opponents be.

2) The City-States are invincible against AI. For instance, Florence is my current ally, and I am at War against Russia and the Mayans. Geographically, Florence is on the south end of my empire, right at the "bottleneck" of the continent seperating my land and the Mayans. So far, I don't need to worry too much about the Mayans because Florence is doing exceptionally well. But then I wonder, when playing against human players, would Florence be so incidentally on my side during war time?

When playing against human players, I wonder how merciful will my opponents be.

They won't be :) You should check the multiplayer forum out, I've only played a bit of multiplayer in CivV (more in Civ4). An experienced human player won't suicide units in frontal assaults, they will steal your workers, pillage all your horse and iron resources and maybe pay/bribe AI civs to attack you to draw your forces away. Don't spend hammers on trying to get *any* early wonder unless you are isolated.

They won't be :) You should check the multiplayer forum out, I've only played a bit of multiplayer in CivV (more in Civ4). An experienced human player won't suicide units in frontal assaults, they will steal your workers, pillage all your horse and iron resources and maybe pay/bribe AI civs to attack you to draw your forces away. Don't spend hammers on trying to get *any* early wonder unless you are isolated.

Now this is what I have expected. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find MP sessions.

And how can I tell how far I am from Cultural Victory?

Which information should I keep tracking?

Attachments

• Wu Zetian_0239 AD-1938.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
OK, I've attached some screenshots from your game with some red boxes to highlight key issues and things for you to pay attention to.

The first screenshot is from the Victory Progress screen, showing your level of influence over the other civs (ranging from a high of 94% with Indonesia and a low of 19% with Mayans). The Mayans are your biggest challenge.

The next screenshot is the Culture Victory tab from your Culture screen, which provides a rough overview of who has become influential over how many other civs (at this point, everyone is 0 of 7 civs), and the ideologies and happiness of the other civs. As you can see, Mayans are content, which is not helpful in the grand scheme of things.

The next screenshot is from the Influence by Player tab from your Culture screen. The important details here are your level of influence over each civ (Exotic, Friendly, Familiar, etc. -- the goal is at least Influential with each), the tourism modifiers that apply to your relationship towards that civ (you can mouse hover the percentage to see what modifiers apply), and how much tourism with that civ that modifier yields (i.e., 82 tourism x the modifier that civ provides (plus 100% of course) -- so India, where you have a +40% modifier, is experiencing 114 tourism from you).

The second Influence screen scrolls down to show your influence with the Mayans. It shows that you are merely exotic with them and have only a 6% modifier, resulting in only 86 tourism to them. The tooltip shows that you are suffering from a -33% tourism modifier due to different ideologies -- put a diplomat in Maya's capital to eliminate 25% of that -33% malus. If you can buy open borders from the Mayans (where they open their borders to you, but yours remain closed), you can pick up another +40% (since you've taken Cultural Exchange).

Notice that you can also flip the view on this screen to show influence from the standpoint of another civ. The last screenshot shows influence from the Mayan perspective. Note that they have the benefits of a +34% modifier for having more happiness than you (resulting from the Order tenet Dictator of the Proletariat). The only way to combat that is to boost your own happiness above the Mayan happiness.

As for what you are doing in your cities, you appear to be in good shape on theming bonuses and you are building a Hotel in Beijing, which will have a immediate positive impact. You are also building a Hotel in Nanjing, but that's a bit of a waste since you have no great works in that city. Your other two cities need Hotels much more urgently. You could use more artifacts, but I see you are digging one now and building another archaeologist, which is good.

As an aside, you built Hermitage in the wrong city. You should have built it in Beijing, where it's native bonus and the bonus from your religion would have the most impact (in fact, Beijing is the only city that still has your religion, so you aren't even getting the Hermitage bonus from your religion, which makes that a wasted follower belief).

I see you built your Musican's Guild quite early, so you have more Great Works of Music than you want or need at this stage of the game, and it means naturally spawning Great Musicians will come much more slowly -- you need them to perform concert tours with the Mayans. You have completed Aesthetics, so you are able to buy Great Musicians later in the game to perform the concert tours. But if you want to buy more than one Great Musician you will need to ramp up your faith output. You only need two more temples (plus one shrine) to allow you to build the Grand Temple -- those alone will give you an additional 13 faith per turn, and you need it (you're currently only generating 16 faith). There's only one religious CS on the map and they are both hostile and in Mayan's back pocket, so I wouldn't waste gold on them (although friendship would net you some additional faith).

Finally, in a couple of turns, your World Ideology proposal will go down in flames and International Games will pass. You really need to shift all production to IG and try to win that. And wake up your workers to build railroads; you need the production bonus ASAP.

Attachments

• Victory Progress.jpg
    Victory Progress.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Influence by player.jpg
    Influence by player.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Maya Influence.jpg
    Maya Influence.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 112
  • Influence for Mayans.jpg
    Influence for Mayans.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 79
I know now. I mean the Mayan being my biggest challenge.

I have Portugal, Japan, and the other 2 popping up and said they are buying jeans and listening to our music, guess that is the result of mine culture being influential over them

Now I have 4 of 7.

The question is : am I going to beat the Mayan?

So Far I have conducted one concert within her border
and worst thing is I am at war with her and the Russain at the same time.

Attachments

• Wu Zetian_0296 AD-2016.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Browd,

If I summarize what you say, I lack musicians to perform concert and is the only way for me to beat the Mayan?

Also, I am much interested in knowing what I have done wrongly on Hermitage. I am a very beginner, so more information and explanation is going to help a lot

On Hermitage, one of your chosen religious beliefs boosts the culture and tourism from Hermitage. Frankly, I don't much care for that belief, but it is OK. But you only get the benefit of that belief if Hermitage is built in a city that actually has your religion. Since Beijing is the only city with your religion, that's where it should go.

Also, Hermitage's regular benefit (aside from the 3 art slots) is that it boosts the culture output of the city in which it is located by 50%. Again, Beijing is your city with the greatest culture output, so Hermitage should have been built there. You would be getting more social policies much more quickly with Hermitage in Beijing.

For what it's worth, you also were not working all of your scientist slots, which severely hampered your tech rate and meant you weren't generating Great Scientists. Even in a culture game you need to be rocking on your science to be competitive.

And as you look at the attached save, that's after using 1 underpowered and 2 decently powered (post-internet) Great Musicians to perform concert tours with the Mayans.

Top Bottom