Announcing BUFFY

Hey everyone, I am new to all the 'technical' editing features (Xml...).
1. I have downloaded BUFFY and I'm not sure if it is running?
2. How do I edit terrain features, such as making oil and whales more valuable?
Thanks!

1. I have downloaded BUFFY and I'm not sure if it is running?

You need to load BUFFY after launching Civ. From the MAIN MENU go to ADVANCED then LOAD A MOD then selected BUFFY-3.19.001 and click OK. You should see the name in the top-right corner of the screen.

2. How do I edit terrain features, such as making oil and whales more valuable?

This works the same as with regular Civ. Make a copy of whatever XML file in the Assets folder where you installed Civ and place the copy into the same folder hierarchy in BUFFY's Assets folder. Make your changes here.

For help with modifying the XML files, you can ask in the general/modding Civ forums or look at the tutorials there.

I went to load a mod and did not see the BUFFY mod to load. What do I need to do?

Did you run the installer after downloading it? Check that it is installed in the right place. Go to your BTS installation folder and look in the Mods folder for a folder named BUFFY-3.19.001.

What happens when you load the mod? Does Civ crash to the desktop? This is most likely because you have not updated BTS to 3.19 which BUFFY requires. Your BTS folder is probably located in

C:\Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword​

ok, stupid me. I don't have BTS, I will go buy it in a few minutes. Do I need to uninstall Buffy, etc or will it be ok when I upgrade to BTS? Knowing BTS would have helped a lot... :blush:

Can't wait to try these new features really like BUG, just switched from BUG to Buffy.

Not an extensive mod user...

Is it possible to run Vairetas Delectat and Blue Marble along with Buffy as I do with BUG?

Currently using this advise to handle the BUG/Buffy Conflict.

For anyone having trouble with BUFFY, the first thing to try is to disable the use of CustomAssets.

Go to your BTS installation folder
Navigate into Mods/BUFFY-3.19.001
Open BUFFY-3.19.001.ini in Notepad
Change NoCustomAssets from 0 to 1

Would all this be solved by removing my Current BUG or is the issue handled in a different way.

Thanks for any help.

Love the mod so far. No problems encountered yet, but....

How do I get rid of the blinking "Alt-Control-O" message at the bottom of the screen? Even when i use it, it won't go away. If I could just get it to stop blinking, that would be a lot better. Its very annoying and distracting!

Is it possible to run Vairetas Delectat and Blue Marble along with Buffy as I do with BUG?

If you remove BUG from your CustomAssets folder and install it as a mod (multiplayer install), it won't interfere with BUFFY. Then you could install BM and get it to work with BUFFY and BUG. However, VD must be installed as a mod which would not work with BUFFY if you want to submit HOF/xOTM games. If you don't, you can copy its files into the BUFFY folder.

How do I get rid of the blinking "Alt-Control-O" message at the bottom of the screen?

Hit ALT + CTRL + O, go to the System tab, and uncheck "Options Shortcut Reminder".

I installed BUFFY without BTS. Do I need to uninstall it before I install BTS? Thanks for your help.

It's probably best to do that to make sure it doesn't get in the way of installing BTS. It won't cause any harm if you leave it there and it doesn't work, though. Just reinstall it again if so.

it would be great to see the addition of artstyles and units into this mod =3

installed it, started a game with it on deity, and I didn't win.
Now, where is this famed performance improvement?
:lol:

on a more serious thing, I modified the settings in game, and they were not saved (good thing the flashing alt o was back, I wouldn't have thought about this, would have exited the game as usual expecting the game to autosave and would have faced a little problem).
tried again, and this time it worked.
Don't ask me the difference, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case you have an idea.

"Warning: The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. Games played will not be valid for submission blah blah blah."

happens everytime i load it up and i have to reconfigure all my UI settings. this is on vista 64.

installed it, started a game with it on deity, and I didn't win.
Now, where is this famed performance improvement?
:lol:
Did you only build 1 warrior? Well, there is your problem. With BUFFY at Deity you need to build 2 warriors to guarantee the win.

I am having the same issue as Gorey. I have changed the entire directory to read-only and changed user access as well. I think this is an issue with how vista "reads" the file directory setting. Individual files in the folder are all read/write but vista doesn't recognize read/write folders for some stupid reason. I didn't have this issue with HOF 3.17 but I do now with BUFFY. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried running BUFFY as admin and Vista really doesn't like it. I don't even get the warning page I got running it as a user - it just crashes and says the programmed stopped working.

"Warning: The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. Games played will not be valid for submission blah blah blah."

happens everytime i load it up and i have to reconfigure all my UI settings. this is on vista 64.

It is a File Permission problem with Vista. Look here for the solution. I had the same problem when I first loaded it up and this did fix it.

Top Bottom