Last 2 World Wonders unveiled

Going with the theory that it's an Autocracy-only wonder and that Motherland Calls is an Order-only wonder, are any of the new wonders suited for Freedom or would it have to be a retooling of a current one (e.g., Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower).

Isn't Hollywood and/or Broadway a new wonder?

Prora... please tell me it isn't too late for April's Fools...

Brazilwood camp, producteur de teinture et de bois

Producer of dyes and wood? Are they talking about gameplay or just about the historical uses of Brazilwood?

Now that we're talking about it... there is no other resource that points to a civilization as strongly as Brazilwood points to Brazil... if Brazil were not announced yet, I'd say Dennis Shirk was talking about it in the Q&A.

Isn't Hollywood and/or Broadway a new wonder?

Broadway is, but so is the Uffizi and Globe Theater. I suspect Broadway is for Great Writers (just like the Globe Theater). But having it as a Freedom wonder is interesting at least.

I don't know how seriously we can take Prora when the article says the ISS is a wonder when it's actually a WC thing

It doesn't mean it isn't both.

Prora ....the World Wonders are starting to feel a lot less awe inspiring.

Prora? Really? A Nazi beach resort? Instead of something like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Petronas Towers? :crazyeye:

Prora is probably the least awe-inspiring wonder from either Civ 4 or Civ 5. But we have had worse in the civ franchise in my opinion

I wonder what the quote for Prora will be.

"We spent 750 million dollars on that?" - Albert Speer

I think we could have found a better "Autocracy" wonder collectively if we tried. IE an example:

The Amber Room was nicknamed the 8th Wonder in the World in the 1700s. Its origins are from the early 1700s when it was constructed by one of the Prussian Kings and eventually given to the Russians as a good will gift, but Hitler made it a point to retake the Amber Room and bring it back to Germany. It was made from over 7 tons of amber and used over a ton of gold. During the Nazi era it was one of the most prominent attractions in Germany and a source of pride.

It wasn't built to exemplify Nazi ideology, though, which is what I think the difference is.

I don't think Motherland Calls, Prora, and Statue of Liberity will have anything to do with Ideologies (they could), because of the fact that they'd have to share similiar benefits to one another, and no wonder shares anything like that. All Wonders are unique, so how does one approach this by giving each of the 3 wonders something unique but at the same keep them balanaced so they refer to Ideologies?

Being balanced doesn't have to mean they have to be the same or even similar. If they are Ideology-specific, they need be no more similar than the tenets of contrasting ideologies, which we know can be quite different. The fact that only one person can build it means it can be a little more powerful than a tenet, too.

Although its not quite on a scale with the Colossus or Parthenon, I'll give them some leeway in that it must be very hard to find something that really does exemplify autocracy without straying over a line into inappropriateness or causing offence, either by presenting something the nazis did as a 'wonder' or by linking something fairly benign that might be a source of legitimate civil pride with that regime. This seems to quite cleverly cross that bridge in a diplomatic manner.

Olympia Stadion, Tempelhof Flughafen or Flak Turm would all be more impressive nazi wonders, another one could be the fascist Italian square colosseum called EUR.

I really think that the Olympia Stadium would've been the best choice.

Actually - the best choice, by far, would have been the Volkshalle, as not only does it exemplify Autocracy but also is truly a wonder, but it would have been the first 'hypothetical' wonder in the series (apart from the Cure for Cancer from Civ III).

Can anybody think of another candidate for a wonder that A) exemplifies Autocracy and B) acts as a tourism boost?

Yes yes, we don't have confirmation that Prora serves either of these functions, but just supposing, could we actually think of something better than a 5km-long hotel?

Olympia Stadium. After all, people really did come from across the world to go there, and it was designed specifically to impress tourists, unlike Prora which was intended for Germans!

And, again, the hypothetical Volkshalle. I'm guessing the Weldhaupstadt would've had plenty of tourism. :p

Speaking of wonders never builded: Tatlin's Tower for order!
Spoiler :

or Newtons mausoleum for freedom:
Spoiler :

Top Bottom