Opinion about Victory screen.

poom3619

Ping Pang Poom!
As everyone have known. When one achieve a victory, regardless of Victory type. He/she will get a digital watercolor painting and message basically say "You won!".

I for one who feel that this is underwhelming. I guess there were movie played when you achieve victory since Civ2. With quality intro movie and "leaderhead" Civ5 had so far. It would be great if Victory screen will have so too.

I might post this on any thread with the word "Nitpicky". But as I think no one talk about it so far, I think it would be better to hear your opinion about it.

The victory and wonder video's were nice in civ 4, but the problem I found with them was; Watch them once, never watch them again! It's kind of a waste of resources to produce the video's when they are really of minor importance.

It seems they focused all the video's on the leaderheads in 5, which I think is a better idea.

What would be cool is if they could create a template to where each victory video basically uses images from the game you just played to tell the story of your civilization. The data they've written into the game with the event saving for archeology could probably be used for this

What would be cool is if they could create a template to where each victory video basically uses images from the game you just played to tell the story of your civilization. The data they've written into the game with the event saving for archeology could probably be used for this

This is a really cool idea.

Don't care for the videos.

I actually like the beautiful wonder "paintings" a lot too, no need to wait for the animation to finish.

The current victory screen has graphs and a map-level replay. It's not especially well implemented, but it's sufficient.

A canned video isn't any better than a static image, in my opinion; once I've seen it once or twice, I probably won't watch it again. In particular, the victory videos for Civ IV were pretty lame. Soldier plants a flag at the south pole that explodes the world! Yawn.

The current victory screen has graphs and a map-level replay. It's not especially well implemented, but it's sufficient.

A canned video isn't any better than a static image, in my opinion; once I've seen it once or twice, I probably won't watch it again. In particular, the victory videos for Civ IV were pretty lame. Soldier plants a flag at the south pole that explodes the world! Yawn.

...and paint the planet red. Not quite exciting, so as guys building a giant monument in aged big city. But better don't talk about the past, We're talking about future :)

I too, have an idea about variable victory video. It's like, in Conquest/Domination victory where a shady man walk past a defeated national flag (that is civ's logo in a rectangle flag) and relive certain battle/conquest for 1 second and move on to another until he sit on a throne before pan to cheering of ten thousand-ish people on foreground and then zoom out to the slowly rotating globe view of the map or map view for non-cylindrical map.

or Science victory can be that you be able to scout the Alpha Centauri and convince World Council to send spaceship named UNS Unity to a planet there and after 40 years passed, The ship exploded with 7 escaped pod survived and land on the planet... :D

They fixed my biggest complaint. Now you actually get to see the rocket launch before the space victory splash comes up. While I prefer wonder videos, I'm fine with splash screens overall.

I do think they should change the culture victory splash screen with the new victory condition, though.

I don't know if a video would help, but the victory splash screen feels kind of underwhelming after hours of playing. One friend of mine joked that maybe the game could shut itself down and open an Excel sheet to help the anticlimax.
I really liked les berceaux's idea!!

I'd rather see a update to the end game graphs and replay... Now it's just tottaly underwhelming. Especially the fact that the cultural borders extend over the oceans making the world tottaly blurred. I think it should be changed to something full-screen with just a bit more options. and the art you see to celebrate your victory or your loss could maybe be accompanied by some other pictures of your empire (or your capital) and maybe just a screen of the leader you play.

One thing that would be cool would be some AOE3 like graphs showing detailed progress bars etc. The Age of Empires series had perfect end-game graphics. It wasn't anything splashy but jst a lot of information including the ability to look at the map of your conquering empire. maybe most importantly it had epic music!!

I'd really just like some graphs and the expansion over time, like in the replay, or maybe a sped-up version of the game you just played.

They do have graphs and stuff in one of the tabs already. I don't look at them much because they crash me to desktop; one of the few instabilities in the game for me.

When I win, I check out the demographics and my score then I quit and start a new game. I don't have any attachment to the splashscreen or prefer a video either way.

I'm indifferent. The splash screens are a bit anticlimactic though unless the end videos were sufficiently tailored to specific game events like les berceaux proposed I'd just click out and ignore them after the first couple of wins. The map replay still stands as the most disappointing end-game feature...

What about the defeat screen?

You lose all your cities. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Another civ is the only one with the original capital. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Another civ completed Utopia Project. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Another civ's tourism surpasses everyone else's culture. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Another civ sent spaceship to Alpha Centauri. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Another civ got half/two-thirds of all votes in the United Nations/World Congress. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Another civ got a score higher than yours after the year 2050. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

You spawned in an impossible location. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

You were unable to spawn. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Retire from the current game. Giant marble statue of a woman is being excavated in the middle of a desert.

Percy Bysshe Shelley must be proud with Ozymandias making an appearance very often.

It can get rather boring and loses its shock value. We all know that in real life, not every single civilization that collapsed ended up with a giant marble statue of a woman being excavated in the middle of a desert.

I was rather disappointed with the science victory; I always enjoyed the CiV 3 version. Overall though I think there are things better to spend their time on.

If we are talking ideals I'd love civ specific victory screens for each type which adapt to your game. Imagine winning a culture game as England and all the leaders of your game are bowed before Victoria, or domination as Aztec and Montezuma is clutching the still-beating heart of Washington! :clap:

Although this breaks down at science victories and some civs, but I'll be damned if every one of Monty's wouldn't be a boon to society!

In the meantime, the defeat screen for the United States would resemble a scene from Planet of the Apes.

The Siamese defeat screen would show a flooded Buddha statue.

The Roman defeat screen would look like Pompeii.

The Egyptian defeat screen can resemble the current defeat screen.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it (it's a little off-topic) but isn't the Democratic Victory screen going to be different now? It looked like they were using that graphic for the World Council now.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Diplomatic victory and probably not. It's a picture of the UN. They already used it for that. So I'm sure it'll just be used again.

ETA: Although the World Congress should probably have its own art, not the UN art, imo.

Top Bottom