ARCHAEOLOGIST seems dull

Any thoughts on the ARCHAEOLOGIST unit? The fact that they simply go into ruins and provide either a landmark or discover a great work, make them really lackluster. It would've been great if a number of different things could've been discovered randomly, or it led to some sort of mini-game where you pick through a number of choices (i.e., the archaeologist exploring a tomb and having to make choices to get to a secret crypt), increasing the risk of the archaeologist dying or you receiving something even more amazing.

Another idea would be if the archaeologist can explore another civ's landmark secretly, find a great work of art, and risking war/diplomatic tension if the other civ finds out?

Or... can you upgrade a worker unit to it?
Do they convert to an enemy's culture if captured?
Are they consumed when used?

:confused::crazyeye::confused:

Well, the point isn't exploring your territory, it's about exploring other Civs' territory with the unit.

I'm guessing they are consumed when used or else they would just have workers do the job. And, by the way, you can dig up artifacts in other civs' territory and if you do, they will get angry at you.

OOoooooh. I was under the impression that you could only search your own lands. The fact that you can into other lands with the arch. make him more desirable.

Does that also mean that EVERY arch. site is exposed upon researching archeology? or it gradual? If it's all exposed at once, then I think it would trigger an archeaologist rush, and by modern era, all sites of antiquity would be gone which wouldn't make much sense historically speaking.

I don't know if they are revealed like natural resources or if an archaeologist has to go look around to spot them.

My guess is you can see them all if you get the tech. But others who don't have the tech can't see them.

In the Indiana Jones movies there were always maps with red marked lines. He didn't stayed at home.

The Archaeologist is essentially a Worker variant... the "Construct Archaeological Dig" action is a Build Action rather than a special button, so it follows that the Archaeologist is not consumed by the action (Build Actions don't consume units, and the tooltip doesn't say anything about the unit being consumed).

If nothing else, it's better than a Worker due to the Move of 4. It would be nice if there are additional Build Actions that the Archaeologist can perform. A preview mentioned that the Archaeologist in unlocked with University, which is curious if Antiquity Sites aren't revealed until Archaeology.

That'd be pretty wild if they'd have to spot them. Maybe one the later exploration policies would tie into that? Id really enjoy essentially exploring the map a second time. Still get giddy when I spot goody huts, maybe this will be the same.

So, is the archaeologist invisible or something? Funny that folks express concern about the vulnerability of caravans, but don't express trepedations about invading another civilization with a civilian unit and expending it to return with a prize.

"Are you trying to dig up MY artifacts? So much for that Open Borders agreement! Goodbye, Dr. Jones!"

WAR IT IS! :sniper:

Anyway, I would like it if there was som reward element like that of a goody hut. Some minor random benefit.

The Archaeologist is essentially a Worker variant... the "Construct Archaeological Dig" action is a Build Action rather than a special button, so it follows that the Archaeologist is not consumed by the action (Build Actions don't consume units, and the tooltip doesn't say anything about the unit being consumed).

If nothing else, it's better than a Worker due to the Move of 4. It would be nice if there are additional Build Actions that the Archaeologist can perform. A preview mentioned that the Archaeologist in unlocked with University, which is curious if Antiquity Sites aren't revealed until Archaeology.

You might be able to dig them up before Archaeology, I was just speculating. It could be the difference between being able to dig them up and being able to house them in a museum.

I think archs. are the modern scouts. just move them around and only they can discover arch. sites and then find out whats in there.

There was a different article which said that you must have an university in a city in order to build them, which makes sense I think. Don't ask me to figure out which article. I've long since left off keeping track.

You might be able to dig them up before Archaeology, I was just speculating. It could be the difference between being able to dig them up and being able to house them in a museum.
Well, as with creating a Great Work with a GP, I don't think the game is going to let you do it unless there's an open slot somewhere to put it in.

We have city ruins as well, so maybe they can investigate them prior to antiquity sites.

Raze a city, queue up an archaeologist. Nothing gamist about that. :)

They said in a article that when someone research Archaeology the fist "lot" is revealed, them after each era new ones appear, so if you got the the lead in research you could steal archeology sites from other civs and they will never know, same will happen with the player

This too point to that if you steal archeology sites from other civs you could get a diplomatic hit

They said in a article that when someone research Archaeology the fist "lot" is revealed, them after each era new ones appear, so if you got the the lead in research you could steal archeology sites from other civs and they will never know, same will happen with the player
Well, they may not know for sure, but if they some dude in a sable fedora walking through your yard, prolly a good idea to cap him on general purposes.

If you're feeling generous, maybe you can return him. "Looks like your dog wandered onto my property. Glad I caught him before he started digging up my garden. Don't let it happen again."

Top Bottom