Multiplayer: Sequential Turn Mode

Luckystrike77

Prince
Dennis told us there will be some new modes for multiplayer, I'd like to discuss this one:

Sequential Turn Mode: Hybrid (standard simultaneous multi outside of combat, sequential inside combat).
How will this work out? Death to doubble moves exploits?

That sounded like two separate modes to me - sequential mode, and hybrid mode (which is a hybrid of the existing simultaneous mode and the new sequential mode).

That sounded like two separate modes to me - sequential mode, and hybrid mode (which is a hybrid of the existing simultaneous mode and the new sequential mode).

Let's discuss all of them then. Which one will help us with the doubble move/shift-move dilemmas in multiplayer?

Edit: Guess I get it now, it's just parting up the turn in sequences? All doing for instance building at the same time, then moving units the same time?

If there is no proper turn-based mode I'm simply going to keep playing PBEM instead of this pile of trash they dare call multiplayer.

If there is no proper turn-based mode I'm simply going to keep playing PBEM instead of this pile of trash they dare call multiplayer.

Actually, I respect the hybrid mod, I think its' the smartest thing they've ever came up with. Why?

1. Sure, Turn-Based mode is very classical, but do you honestly wanna spent half of your time just waiting for the others to do anything? At least with Sims Turns you save so much time.

2. The problem with Sims Turns was the combat, which was very unbalanced because of the fact that everybody took their turns at the same time

3. This will be fxied with one of the new modes, where in War time only, you and your opponent take turns attacking each other.

The thing is, we might wanna stop complaining about the bad multiplayer and realize, hey, they dedicated A TEAM to do this. That's something to be hopeful for.

The best sollution for multiple people playing MP is in my mind simultaneous turns, but it has it's weaknesses to a turn-based mode. The most important of those is the doubble-moves that makes fast clicking a major component of warfare.

To solve this I'd like a system where you can't move a unit you moved the last turn again the next turn, until there has gone 6-10 seconds. Voila, problem solved.

From what's been said, sequential is like SP, or hotseat - strictly separate turns. You can't do much during an opponent's turn.

Hybrid sounds like it plays as simultaneous turns until two humans are fighting each other, then goes sequential.

Although it sounds good, no more clickfest, I wonder how it work. I assume it initiates when a unit attacks another unit? So there's still a bit of the clickfest left: To be the first to attack?

Other than that: Great news!
As a multiplayer-only player I welcome this. Battles are, if you don't makes some rules, quite annoying.

Although it sounds good, no more clickfest, I wonder how it work. I assume it initiates when a unit attacks another unit? So there's still a bit of the clickfest left: To be the first to attack?

Other than that: Great news!
As a multiplayer-only player I welcome this. Battles are, if you don't makes some rules, quite annoying.

What kind of rules do you make for MP?

I'd assume one smart rule sit that the defender waits until the attacker ends his turn.

This sounds reasonable.

I'm looking forward to seeing hybrid mode in action, because one of my biggest frustrations with the current game is exploits from simultaneous turns. For the general stuff, city building, tile improvement, and such, it's not a big deal, but in combat someone ends up moving twice, or the person with the least lag acts first, no matter when the orders are given. It makes the game unplayable against some opponents.

My biggest hope is that they finally add more diplomatic options between Human players, it's so lacking and could be improved, even if it has no effect (which, ironically, if the AI improves, it would have an effect on you).

This sounds reasonable.

I'm looking forward to seeing hybrid mode in action, because one of my biggest frustrations with the current game is exploits from simultaneous turns. For the general stuff, city building, tile improvement, and such, it's not a big deal, but in combat someone ends up moving twice, or the person with the least lag acts first, no matter when the orders are given. It makes the game unplayable against some opponents.

Another problem is players waiting for the turn timer to almost complete every single turn before moving their troops. When every player in war does that, every turn last as long as the turn timer.

Another system where you are forced to wait abit after moving will actually make multiplayer games flew faster.

I'm terribly excited about the multiplayer fixes. When they announced it, I did a little dance in my chair. Luckily no one was around to witness that.

Actually, I respect the hybrid mod, I think its' the smartest thing they've ever came up with. Why?

1. Sure, Turn-Based mode is very classical, but do you honestly wanna spent half of your time just waiting for the others to do anything? At least with Sims Turns you save so much time.

2. The problem with Sims Turns was the combat, which was very unbalanced because of the fact that everybody took their turns at the same time

3. This will be fxied with one of the new modes, where in War time only, you and your opponent take turns attacking each other.

The thing is, we might wanna stop complaining about the bad multiplayer and realize, hey, they dedicated A TEAM to do this. That's something to be hopeful for.

Yes. I found simultaneous turns in combat to be an offputting clickfest. You couldn't be strategic because you simply had to click faster than your opponent and hope the game was responsive. But hotseat style games are annoying outside of wartime because you end up waiting 5 minutes for someone to decide what building to build.

This turn based combat overlay is the best solution I could have hoped for. I can't wait to dig into it.

Yes! After all that's the point of turn-based games.

Then you can go play your multiplayer games in sequential mode, and the rest of us will happily go play quicker games in Hybrid mode. From the sounds of it, the genius of the new multiplayer is the amount of options available for players to make the game they want.

Hybrid mode sounds like what we have been asking for years, a mix of simultaneous and turn based. Click fest eliminated :)

Top Bottom