News: SGOTM 22 Sign up Thread - Caput Mundi

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 22 Sign up Thread - Caput Mundi

Sign up NOW for the next SGOTM, featuring another BSPollux map, administered by AlanH.

You are Julius Caesar. Your destiny is to construct Caput Mundi, the capital of the world. The Roman people trust you to lead them to greatness and build the eternal city. In a world filled with savages and with the cards stacked against you, it won't be an easy task. You better be prepared for the worst.

Your goals in this scenario:
  • Never change or lose your capital.
  • Build 7 Wonders of the World in your capital.
  • Win the game by space or conquest.

All your actions should be dictated by the main goal of keeping Rome well and protected. Therefore you may only found a city (or keep one you got from another nation) if:
  • Your capital has at least twice the number of civilians as your city count (including the new one). So if you own three cities and want to build a fourth one you need a population of at least eight.
  • Your capital has at least as many civilian buildings as your city count (including the new one). Your palace is a building, Wonders are buildings and all normal buildings count but barracks, walls, stables and the like do not.
  • Your Capital has at least twice the number of military units defending it as your city count (including the new one). Once you discover Bronze Working or Iron Working, warriors and scouts won't count towards this any more.

Clearifications, Examples:
Spoiler :

For all requirements:

All requirements have to be met whenever you get a new city in any way (founding it, conquering it, buying it, etc) after you founded your capital. They have to be met only when you get the city and can be broken afterwards. You wont be disqualified if you move troops out, lose a building or shrink your population after you founded a city.

For the buildings requirement:

"Building" in this context refers to:
-Your palace
-All Wonders (National Wonders and Wonders of the World) and Projects if they show up in the buildings list of your city
-Special buildings (Academy)
-All normal buildings in the game if they are shown in the buildings list of your city

A few buildings are excluded and don't count, namely:
-Barracks
-Bomb Shelters
-Bunker
-Castle
-Drydock
-Stable
-Walls

If wonders grant you a building it will count as long as it's in the list.
If a building is disabled in any way and doesn't work, it still counts as long as it's shown in the list.

This scenario is intentionally more straight forward than previous games. It won't be easy, but less confusing, hopefully. Our goal was to offer an opportunity to players who didn't take part in any SGOTM in the past. All our teams are happy to accept new members of any skill level.

Your starting area
Click for a full size image

The AI-difficulty level is monarch.
Your opponents received some significant starting bonuses including the priesthood technology.
You begin with three warriors and the hunting technology in addition to your normal starting units and techs.

Game Options
Ancient Era Start
Normal Speed
No Vassals
No Goody Huts
No Events
Raging Barbarians
Space or Conquest victory only

Map size Standard
6 Opponents
Map: Modified Pangaea
Difficulty: Monarch
=================================

Timetable

The Pre-game Discussion Thread for this game is now open for business.

Please sign up in this thread by September 6 at the latest. To help us to assign players to teams, please indicate your preferred team, whether you have played previous SGOTMs or SGs, and the highest level of Civ4 difficulty you can typically win at. Don't be discouraged to sign up by this, we like to have new players as well.

The team discussion threads for this game will open on or before September 8

The team starting saves will be available here on September 12.

The completion deadline will now be January 7th. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the standard BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod. We do not propose to use a newer version of BUFFY, even if it arrives in time.

If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.

Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game. You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading a SGOTM 21 starting save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, then you are ready to play.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Please sign up for this game as soon as possible by posting your own details in this thread. I shall update the draft team lists below during the sign-up period.

Please use the separate Pregame Discussion Thread for any non-sign-up questions or comments about this game. AlanH or BSPollux will give definitive answers to detailed technical issues you raise.

Current Sign-up Lists
The table below will display your stated team preferences as I add you to the database. The number of players in each team is shown in brackets, as are non-playing advisers.

I'm willing to play.

I'm happy to see a monarch game btw.

Havent read the scenario yet, but of course I'm in.

5th Element please

MGN please.

I'm in, FE of course.
I'll see if this time i'll can actively participate or remain as a dedicated lurker.

Blimey, Fifth Element getting in early, me too (if they'll have me).

I'm in! Normally play at Immortal, but am very rusty so Emperor I guess.

I'll join any team that would be happy to have me :)

Can I join Fifth Element?

I'll throw my hat in the ring.

My FE teammates are really on the ball considering I'm the 6th one to show up.

I'm getting more comfortable on Immortal. Playing on Monarch ought to be fun.

I'm in. Unallocated for now.

I suggest to keep the sign up open to see if this competiton can see the light and to revise the other dates once it can - hopefully - start.

It's sad.

PR threw in the towel last game after real life caught up with 2-3 of our players. If we did set up a team here it would be more for fun and we would be missing most of the core of our team. There are 2-3 players who might join a team. Personally I think the PR name should be retired. Maybe bring back Trash Team.

If people want this to happen 2-3 players need to take charge of a team and find new players.

I have no idea about TSR or PD.

You could join Cactus Pete in XTeam.

It feels like we have two teams of 4 and one team of 6. I'm afraid this will be the end of SGOTM but would still like to play this scenario. It seems fun.

Maybe it is to be expected. I had a feeling many teams were struggling with only having 1-2 active players.

Top Bottom