New NESes, ideas, development, etc

@erez87:

Here are the scans of the rules. Let me know if any are too terrible to use.

Attachments

• Greece 1.pdf
    425.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Greece 2b_NEW.pdf
    369.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Greece 2c.pdf
    385.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Greece 3_NEW.pdf
    359 KB · Views: 84
  • Greece 4_NEW_0001.pdf
    449.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Greece 5.pdf
    140 KB · Views: 122
Playing as one of many gods hovering over a single nation

I thought of a NES when I saw Starlife's idea, based on what I'd rather see.

The premise would be based roughly on Ben Bova's Grand Tour series of novels.

Our very own solar system is a huge place, with endless possibilities well within our own reality. My NES would attempt to stick to at least plausible science, set perhaps 50-100 years in the future. So that means, no faster-than-light travel, no unobtainium, and a good attempt at making sense. I'm not a physicist and I have no degrees, so I wouldn't promise perfect accuracy but I'm not afraid of a little internet research.

Out of control global warming, widespread famine, increasingly unstable political atmosphere, and a desperate demand for natural resources have all caused Earth to look outward for survival.

The players take the role of private corporations that are leading the way to the rich resources of space. Their goal is profit and they must please their investors first and foremost. They can do this by mining valuable resources, selling research to academics back on Earth, or by selling services to other corporations.

Each player starts with offices on earth and access to the International Space Station located at L1, and perhaps a point system with which they can specialize their company.

I've never modded a NES before, so I'd love some advice for running this. I have the concept down pretty well, but I don't really know what to do for the rules.
I know I'd like to have a tech tree, and was thinking a system of pluses and minuses to a dice roll for decision making.

Is there any interest out there for a hard science NES like this?

I thought of a NES when I saw Starlife's idea, based on what I'd rather see.

The premise would be based roughly on Ben Bova's Grand Tour series of novels.

Our very own solar system is a huge place, with endless possibilities well within our own reality. My NES would attempt to stick to at least plausible science, set perhaps 50-100 years in the future. So that means, no faster-than-light travel, no unobtainium, and a good attempt at making sense. I'm not a physicist and I have no degrees, so I wouldn't promise perfect accuracy but I'm not afraid of a little internet research.

Out of control global warming, widespread famine, increasingly unstable political atmosphere, and a desperate demand for natural resources have all caused Earth to look outward for survival.

The players take the role of private corporations that are leading the way to the rich resources of space. Their goal is profit and they must please their investors first and foremost. They can do this by mining valuable resources, selling research to academics back on Earth, or by selling services to other corporations.

Each player starts with offices on earth and access to the International Space Station located at L1, and perhaps a point system with which they can specialize their company.

I've never modded a NES before, so I'd love some advice for running this. I have the concept down pretty well, but I don't really know what to do for the rules.
I know I'd like to have a tech tree, and was thinking a system of pluses and minuses to a dice roll for decision making.

Is there any interest out there for a hard science NES like this?

very interested. you should check out sysNES- its a good space-based nes.

I'll try and get some rule ideas from them, especially SysNES's chart for travel times.

Its just always kind of bugged me that in most of these games the player controls entire planets or whole star systems as the smallest level of control. Planets are big. Even just Earth has thousands of separate cultures and hundreds of significant countries. Humanity could spend the next thousand years just exploring this solar system, and not get close to finishing.

I've also always like the idea of controlling a corporation or faction, as opposed to a sovereign nation. Much like your last NES Immac, having to work around someone bigger and more powerful than you is a fun challenge. The Earth governments would be that here.

I'm thinking that having several maps would work the best. I'd have an orbit map of the whole solar system, then a map for each of the planets and/or moons that are large enough for multiple colonies. There's a surprisingly large amount of places that you might not expect.

Sorry guys, college is pretty time-consuming. Haven't really participated much.

My problem with hard science fiction is that well.. it takes away too much from the fun of playing the game and generally poking at each other with swords/spears/guns/tanks/big robots/spaceships, etc.

I really can't be bothered about whether a planet can plausibly have a tilt of 86° (it can) or trying to explain how people can afford space travel.

I just feel when it becomes more of a game to stab at other's "sense of realism" - and let's face it, all "hard" games end up like that, see preChaNES - the fun in the game goes away because it falls into arguments of, "NOT REALISTIC!" "NO YOU" "NO U", etc.

Heh, preChaNES problems were most certainly not derived from scifi 'hardness'. Though I do agree and its why I set SysNES far in the future where I can dictate whats allowed - "No you can't pound the enemies world with rocks, you must use ships and lasers and space marines!"

Still no big robots, but thats personal dislike rather than realism concerns ;).

Haha, I can see how that could be a problem. I guess what I really just want a game that's focused on our solar system. It comes from my old passion for the real space program more than any desire to be anal over science. That and FTL has always bothered me heh.

I was thinking of focusing more on economics and business espionage than space empires anyway, maybe that will prevent people from fighting over the correct tilt on the planets.

I'll need a good economic system for that then, does anyone has any suggestions?

Ryaz:Thanks! That website is really handy! I was wondering how I was going to figure that out!

is there any interest in another fantasy NES? are people sick of the FFH universe or can it be revisited? Is there 7 players interested in a FFH NES?

What does FFH stand for?

well, i was thinking of a mix of fall from heaven (FFH) and earthdawn (if people remember that). instead of mulcarn covering the world in ice and snow, ceridwen would cover the world with all-consuming horrors...

in both cases its a 'recover after the apocolypse' type scenerio.

i have some maps up in the ultimate map thread if anyone is interested.

well, i was thinking of a mix of fall from heaven (FFH) and earthdawn (if people remember that). instead of mulcarn covering the world in ice and snow, ceridwen would cover the world with all-consuming horrors...

in both cases its a 'recover after the apocolypse' type scenerio.

i have some maps up in the ultimate map thread if anyone is interested.

ooh oooh ooh. That sounds awesome. I am dying to get into an FFH NES. FFH NES+ Apoca NES equals even more awesomeness!

If Seon's in, count me in as a country right beside him.

just so you know, the NES will require you to download an excel spreadsheet with every update. You don't need to do any math or anything, but it will tell you what forces you have available, the status of your cities and rural improvements, the commanders you have available, etc. Also, the FFH NESes (especially the one i ran) are not simple. they are multiple layers of complexities and generally seem to require more work from the players then the 'traditional-style' NESes. This is just a personal preference on my part. But i feel i should warn potential players.

Top Bottom