General A New Dawn discussion

Yeah, definitely events and quests need to be balanced, especially the latter: 17 arenas in a huge map it's probably too much, although for National Sport League Event you have time until Modern Era.

Just for fun, I took the 6 free 0xp muskets and sent them barb-hunting on an unsettled jungle-covered continent. Despite losing one, the other five are now up to 10-15 xp and are becoming veteran barb arquebusier killers. Their medic2 ship has been invaluable in escaping a few tough situations and healing up from 0.1:strength: almost death.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14417520 said:
Yeah, definitely events and quests need to be balanced, especially the latter: 17 arenas in a huge map it's probably too much, although for National Sport League Event you have time until Modern Era.

One of the problems with quests as they currently stand is that the requirements are generally keyed to the default number of players for the world size, and these are higher in AND than in BTS for any size above Tiny. For example, Standard size is 7 players in BTS and 10 players in AND. Blessed Sea is definitely weak; the completion bonus is either convert up to 20 of your own cities to your state religion OR build Temples of your state religion in all of your cities that are at least size 5 OR get 1 Great Prophet. I did tone that one down to only being 1x the default number of players rather than 1.5x the default number of players, but that's still probably too much.

The number of units generated by events and quests is also hardcoded in Civ4EventInfos.xml. I can understand wanting to scale the numbers, but we definitely have to tell the program the difference between an event that gives Musketmen and an event that gives Great Spies.

Just for fun, I took the 6 free 0xp muskets and sent them barb-hunting on an unsettled jungle-covered continent. Despite losing one, the other five are now up to 10-15 xp and are becoming veteran barb arquebusier killers. Their medic2 ship has been invaluable in escaping a few tough situations and healing up from 0.1:strength: almost death.

So,is it sure that medic2 promotion apply also to different domain units,for example : a ship with medic2 healing troops on adjacent land?

Seems to work that way, yes. Units loaded inside a ship with Medic promotions (more precisely - loaded in a ship on the same tile as a ship with Medic promotions) definitely get healed faster, I also had an invasion force (in another game) on the shores being healed by the nearby Medic ships.

With enough XP available, you can make pretty nice cargo ships with Medic and Cargo promotions. Then give March to your Grenadiers (and later Marines and Paratroopers) and you get fantastic amphibious raiders with fast healing.

Yes,I usually give cargo ships the medic promotion and load them with amphibious-promoted troops or marines of course.So they attack and heal without touching land.

Medic II gives 10% to adjacent units, next tile.
Medic III gives 15% (from memory) so cumulative 25% to adjacent units.

Me, I just produce medical explores/adventures etc. Name them a random ('rd') in the naming function and call them General 'rd' of the 'x' Army group. Then you have your mobile medical, would only defend if army is being wiped out, then meh!!!! Of course, having march help a lot as well, combat III and March, 17 Exp.

I don't know how often it happens with others but in my current game I have at least 3 cities that are really unhealthy (10-20 :yuck:), yet they still happily grow in size for having enough :food:. So enough surplus :food: can negate any affect of :yuck: which is not so fortunate IMO.

I'd like to see an event/mechanic similar to the Slave revolt mechanic. It's chances would be 1% for 1:yuck:, so the more unhealthy the city is the greater the chance is.
When the city is struck by an epidemic it instantly loses 1 population and the player is offered to choose what to do next.

"We can only pray and hope that things will get better soon."
50% chance that the epidemic continues and 20% chance that it spreads to any nearby cities (even to healthy cities).

"Quarantine immediately! No one may enter or leave the city."
City is disconnected from trade network so will have no access to resources and won't generate :commerce: from connectedness.

What do you think?

I have no problem with dirty cities growing. Coding such an event shouldn't be that hard except for the connectedness part which requires dll coding and it's not easy at all because that part is a bit delicate and I would prefer not to touch it and break something else.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14429856 said:
I have no problem with dirty cities growing.
I don't have problems with dirty cities growing either. I have problems with having no consequences for dirty cities still growing. A :yuck: can be negated by +1:food:.
Coding such an event shouldn't be that hard except for the connectedness part which requires dll coding and it's not easy at all because that part is a bit delicate and I would prefer not to touch it and break something else.
Than it could be just a -1 population in the city with chances to continue epidemic and to spread to other cities.

I agree that something should be done with the consequences of unhealthiness.We could tone up the local instability or add more unhappy faces as an effect of :yuck: especially for large cities (pop>20 or 25 maybe...).
Also I cannot understand the unhappiness from:"We hate how large our nation is!"
OK I know the game isn't a precise sim of real world but I cannot accept that there are people who hate their large nation:confused:.I believe the opposite.IMHO it would make more sense to tone up the unhappiness for large cities instead and eliminate the discontent for large nations.

I agree that something should be done with the consequences of unhealthiness.We could tone up the local instability or add more unhappy faces as an effect of :yuck: especially for large cities (pop>20 or 25 maybe...).
Instability would be ignored if one plays with Revolutions Off. Also, I cannot imagine unhealthiness as a source of anger before the Modern era. Remember: ancient people thought that they are ill because of the anger gods/spirits and not because they are... err... covered with poo.

Also I cannot understand the unhappiness from:"We hate how large our nation is!"
OK I know the game isn't a precise sim of real world but I cannot accept that there are people who hate their large nation:confused:.I believe the opposite.IMHO it would make more sense to tone up the unhappiness for large cities instead and eliminate the discontent for large nations.

At first I didn't like the idea either, but by time I started to love that mechanic because it makes the game more challenging.
But I agree that "We hate how large our nation is! :mad:" sounds very lame.
I'd prefer something like: "We feel that our government doesn't take care of all its citizen!" :mad:

Instability would be ignored if one plays with Revolutions Off. Also, I cannot imagine unhealthiness as a source of anger before the Modern era. Remember: ancient people thought that they are ill because of the anger gods/spirits and not because they are... err... covered with poo.

At first I didn't like the idea either, but by time I started to love that mechanic because it makes the game more challenging.
But I agree that "We hate how large our nation is! :mad:" sounds very lame.
I'd prefer something like: "We feel that our government doesn't take care of all its citizen!" :mad:

Yeah, I'll simply change the text about empire size. Maybe something like you've proposed.

The possible problem with this feature isn't the era but the city size.That's why I proposed anger for large cities.(And it's not very feasible to have mega-cities in game before Industrial/Modern era).Also it's not the only feature of game that would be ignored if someone doesn't play with Revolutions.IMHO the mod is better balanced with Revs ON.

Better for the player, maybe. Unless Afforess or 45 (etc.) have done a bunch of work, the AI still has trouble with it.

Top Bottom