Civics Improvements Suggestions

So if I don't have right civic, I might surprise declare. But with Imperium, not so surprising anymore?
Interesting ideas!

Presumably tributes would not be paid to or by anyone with whom you're currently at war? I quite like those ideas otherwise. :)

Yes, those are great ideas.

A few suggestions:

I would rename "isolationism" to "ignorance". Of Isolationism I would expect something significant, like no contact possibility at all (like the minor civ thing) or no trading. That could be a fine idea for a modern civic (offset by major boni), but would be annoying to be forced to from the beginning.

Can you explain how "most powerful" and "least powerful" civilisations are defined?

Very good ideas! :goodjob:

I would rename "isolationism" to "ignorance". Of Isolationism I would expect something significant, like no contact possibility at all (like the minor civ thing) or no trading. That could be a fine idea for a modern civic (offset by major boni), but would be annoying to be forced to from the beginning.

Agree.
North-Korea is isolationist imo. Could we have something to imitate that?

I also like 88GTS's proposal.

P.s: Don't forget to update dinamic civ names after civics are done.

I wasn't trying to model isolationism from examples like North Korea. North Korea is not isolationist, but more like blind to the world. If you want an example of a historically isolationist country, see the USA (pre-1950's).

So here are more or less my ideas for Foreign Affairs civics:

Isolationism (Starting Civic, no Tech requirement)
No Upkeep

Appeasement (Available at Currency)
Low Upkeep
Pay 5% of :gold: as tribute to most powerful civilizations
+2 relations with most powerful civilizations

Imperium (Available at Feudalism)
Low Upkeep
Seizes 50% of foreign connectedness profits with your cities from civilizations weaker than yourself
+33% :commerce: from foreign connectedness yield
-4 relations with civilizations weaker than yourself

Protectionism (Available at Mercantilism)
Low Upkeep
No Foreign Trade
+33% :commerce: from domestic connectedness yield
-2 relations with all civilizations

Interventionism (Available at Political Philosophy)
High Upkeep
-50% War Weariness
+1 relations with other interventionist civilizations
-1 relations with isolationist and protectionist civilizations
Civilizations can not cease relations with you
Civilizations at war more likely to allow diplomacy
+25% :commerce: from foreign connectedness yield

Redevelopment (Available at Social Contract)
Medium Upkeep
Pay 5% of :gold: to weakest civilizations
+2 relations with the weakest civilizations
Forces "Rite of Passage" agreement with weakest civilizations

Yes, now you can be a jerk with your civic choices. To be clear about the Pay 5% of :gold: options, you pay 5% of your gross :gold: income, and that 5% is split amongst the eligible civilizations, it is not 5% each.
What happens if you're losing gold instead of having a positive income? Same for AI of course. I mean, what becomes of that 5%?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13349475 said:
What happens if you're losing gold instead of having a positive income? Same for AI of course. I mean, what becomes of that 5%?

I did answer that in the post:

To be clear about the Pay 5% of options, you pay 5% of your gross income, and that 5% is split amongst the eligible civilizations, it is not 5% each.
It's not part of your profits, it part of your gross income. Even if you are losing gold, you still have a positive gross income, but your gross expenses are greater than income.

I did answer that in the post:

It's not part of your profits, it part of your gross income. Even if you are losing gold, you still have a positive gross income, but your gross expenses are greater than income.
Sorry, I didn't read it very well. Got it now. :)

So that payment is coming out of what you make, or is it coming out of thin air? (Sorry, just a tad confused ^^)

I think it'd be interesting seeing multiple 'world power' civs running Appeasement :lol:
I wonder how the AI will handle these new civics? If they'll prefer switching to ones with +Diplo modifiers if they're weak, or if they're a "Peacemonger" will switch to ones that make weaker civs like you more (And conversely, warmongers like Alex will switch to ones that abuse weaker civs) or if they'll just grab ones at random?

Would there be any +relations with civs with same Foreign Affairs (akin to the Monarchy ones)?

So that payment is coming out of what you make, or is it coming out of thin air? (Sorry, just a tad confused ^^)

It is coming out of your profits. It costs you money. I plan on putting the actual amount lost in the civic help text.

I think it'd be interesting seeing multiple 'world power' civs running Appeasement :lol:
I wonder how the AI will handle these new civics? If they'll prefer switching to ones with +Diplo modifiers if they're weak, or if they're a "Peacemonger" will switch to ones that make weaker civs like you more (And conversely, warmongers like Alex will switch to ones that abuse weaker civs) or if they'll just grab ones at random?

I doubt that will happen. I will code the AI in such a way they will take into account their rank.

I wasn't trying to model isolationism from examples like North Korea. North Korea is not isolationist, but more like blind to the world. If you want an example of a historically isolationist country, see the USA (pre-1950's).

IMO it's only half true: North Korea is isolationist and blind to the world. They are running the wrong civic to their situation.
We may not need a civic like Norht Korea's, but I think we need a better name for the starting civic.

A different idea:

I have civic idea for a long time, but though it is undoable until now.

Global Defence Initiative (Military)
(Yes, it is inspired by Tiberian universe :lol: )

It would be a "world peace assuarance" civic.
  • Once a civ switches to GDI a new special civ is spawned: United Nations Peacekeeping Forces (UNPF).
  • Every civ running GDI are automatically in an unbreakable Peace-treaty with each other.
  • With GDI you cannot declare war on your own, only through UN resolutions.
  • UNPF is locked in GDI.
  • UNPF settles no cities. If it captures one, as soon as the city is pacified, there is a voting which civ should own it (strongest civ are included and the ones that have some culture in the city).
  • +:) in your cities and -military production, and cannot build nukes.
  • UNPF Base (civic building): Spawns periodicly units for the UNPF civ with the orders to guard the city. Increases maintenance and -:hammers: (some of your production is shifted to UNPF).

What do you think?

I am sure you thought about it already, but just in case:

If the player receives money that way from other cive, it should be clearly displayed.
I think both the foreign advisor and the domestic advisor would be the correct place for that information.

I am sure you thought about it already, but just in case:

If the player receives money that way from other cive, it should be clearly displayed.
I think both the foreign advisor and the domestic advisor would be the correct place for that information.

I was planning on putting that on the finances screen, there is plenty of room where inflation used to be.

IMO it's only half true: North Korea is isolationist and blind to the world. They are running the wrong civic to their situation.
We may not need a civic like Norht Korea's, but I think we need a better name for the starting civic.

I think Isolationism fits, it is the policy of remaining apart from the affairs of the world. In the early game, more than any time else, you are apart from other civilizations, often even prevented from sharing maps, techs, etc (due to lack of prerequisite technology).

A different idea:

I have civic idea for a long time, but though it is undoable until now.

Global Defence Initiative (Military)
(Yes, it is inspired by Tiberian universe :lol: )

It would be a "world peace assuarance" civic.
  • Once a civ switches to GDI a new special civ is spawned: United Nations Peacekeeping Forces (UNPF).
  • Every civ running GDI are automatically in an unbreakable Peace-treaty with each other.
  • With GDI you cannot declare war on your own, only through UN resolutions.
  • UNPF is locked in GDI.
  • UNPF settles no cities. If it captures one, as soon as the city is pacified, there is a voting which civ should own it (strongest civ are included and the ones that have some culture in the city).
  • +:) in your cities and -military production, and cannot build nukes.
  • UNPF Base (civic building): Spawns periodicly units for the UNPF civ with the orders to guard the city. Increases maintenance and -:hammers: (some of your production is shifted to UNPF).

What do you think?

Mmmm....A bit too far out there. :p

Mmmm....A bit too far out there. :p

Yeah, especially when United Nations is only available with Diplomatic Victory on (except if you click on that option in Custom Game for your reasons.)

Top Bottom