Select All Units for promotion

Soup464

Chieftain
Hi All,

I'm using CIV4 Custom game. "Units Auto Promote" was not selected at the beginning of the game. Is there a way to change that now. I have 35 or so Musketeers that I would like to promote to Infantry all at once. Is this possible or will I have to goto each city and do it manually..

Thanks...

If you hold down, I think, Ctrl, when clicking on the upgrade button, all units of that type will upgrade. I think it's control anyway. Just hover over the button for a while and it will say what key to hold down whilst pressing said button, to upgrade all of a type.

No it's not CTRL, it's Alt. And you don't need to have your units in a city in order to upgrade them, you can do it anywhere within your cultural border. And "Units Auto Promote" has nothing to do with upgrading. That setting just tells the governor to issues promotions like City Raider, Combat 1 etc. And I doubt very much that it will do a very good job of it. I've never tried it myself as I just don't trust the game to make those kinds of decisions.

Auto-promote is for promotions, not upgrades.

You'd use alt for all units and control for all units in the current stack, in terms of upgrades (though I for the life of me can't remember the last time it was ever a good idea to globally promote units. Ok, I can...leonardo's workshop especially in civ II, which did it for the price of the wonder). Point is, I recommend against trying to promote 30+ muskets into infantry unless you are going to be using them to attack, but in that case you'll probably have them all in a stack anyway - just select them.

Another drawback of "upgrade them all" is that the game does so, until you run out of cash. Don't know how the game decides which order to upgrade them (order built??), but you are likely to find your front line units still backward while your far away and garrisson units have been upgraded. All in this stack is nice and mouse over will even show you the cost.

Top Bottom