XCOM overpowered?

Keep in mind that the Science Victory is also futuristic. We are no where near the ability to set off to Alpha Centauri. We've never even made it to Mars unless you count a probe.

It also is in the "future tech" era. That said, on multiplayer, it would be pretty annoying to fight against. Though I imagine the dev's felt a need to accelerate games which have taken so long to finish by conquest.

They could do something like idk stealth tanks or drones or special forces units or snipers (next level of ranged after bazookas). anything that might be based on our world just to keep it somewhat accurate. Like someone said I like Civ series because of how they are history based. I always imagined that a spaceship is just a slightly advanced rocket that could be built by 2050.

In the dozens.. hundreds of games I've played I've only used them once (game was already won, had to delay my victory purposefully for trying them out). There's no regular game I've played where the game has lasted this long.

They could do something like idk stealth tanks or drones or special forces units or snipers (next level of ranged after bazookas). anything that might be based on our world just to keep it somewhat accurate. Like someone said I like Civ series because of how they are history based. I always imagined that a spaceship is just a slightly advanced rocket that could be built by 2050.

What I'm saying is at that point, there are several items which are future tech. Things beyond our current world. This allowed them to move past what we have, and be creative. I do understand you'd rather not have future tech, but then that would also remove the science victory as well. At least the science victory isn't something you play against.

Science victory could be re-modeled to be idk a universal cure for something or a genetic experiment that requires you to build 6 'wonders', maybe even a mission to Mars. Although that would deviate from Civ tradition of having the same science victory.

I feel like if they wanted to make it realistic, the last military units available should have been drones (planes) instead of the Giant Death Robots and XCOM.

I feel like if they wanted to make it realistic, the last military units available should have been drones (planes) instead of the Giant Death Robots and XCOM.

I think that should be before future tech. Those are real now. Maybe they'll put drones where stealth bombers are now in the future. That would be cool.

^^huh.. drones weren't even in civilization 5...

Yes, I realize that...we are talking about "should of"s, not what exists.

He seems to think that "future tech" should include current tech's of the real world. I'm saying that current tech's should be in the information era, and stick/keep things that don't exist in future tech.

Considering Xcom were formed to fight advanced ALIENS to protect Earth, yes, it`s overpowered as well as making no sense at all. I modded them out of my game along with GDR. They are not what Civilization is about and when I pay money for something I don`t pay for some Dev`s stupid joke. They can pay me if they want me to have their immersion-breaking joke.

Civilization is a boring casual empire micromanagement simulator. It's not about your immersion it's about developing a fun game to play, and true fans of Firaxis appreciate the reference. When you pay for a devs game you pay for what the dev developed. You are a customer, but that does not make you the boss. Don't act so entitled by thinking that the devs owe you anything, because they dont.

they are probably OP in the strict sense, but, at this point of the game either you should have won or you are just having fun anyway so that doesn't matter to me. i purposely do not use them regardless, or GDRs. i could see this unit having an annoying effect in some MP games but doesn't apply to me either.

what i do find immersion breaking is, in the XCOM unit description, it's something that seems to refer to something outside of the game completely, which is a bit lame. i forgot the exact wording of the description.

Yes, I realize that...we are talking about "should of"s, not what exists.

He seems to think that "future tech" should include current tech's of the real world. I'm saying that current tech's should be in the information era, and stick/keep things that don't exist in future tech.

Sorry, but this is wrong. future tech is a single technology available at the end of tech tree and it does not provide any units. GDR and XCOM are in information era, which is where we are living right now, so all modern military is eligible to be in the game. ;)

Sorry, but this is wrong. future tech is a single technology available at the end of tech tree and it does not provide any units. GDR and XCOM are in information era, which is where we are living right now, so all modern military is eligible to be in the game. ;)

I guess you are right. It didn't used to be that way. It was changed in a patch or one of the expansions. Though Xcoms weren't around then, but GDR's were.
Spoiler :

I think what makes XCOM squad most OP is the fact that their planes can't be intercepted when they are paradropped off like they used to in civilization 4.

Top Bottom