WW2-Global

Ian - Not sure that it was ever a problem with the US buying units in the Pacific. They never had that much cash. Have you played the British?

All - No comments on my proposed readme file???

Bob, i fully agree that the British need help in this version. However in one of my older games as Germany it was annoying that the USA was pumping out units in the Philipenes without using transports to bring them in.

The readme file sounds fine to me, but maybe you shoud ask some nativ English speaker ;)

Bob1475, I read your draft for the readme and my jaw dropped to the floor. I was not aware of the mobilization and cumulative power plant setup in the scenario.

I have built the extra power plants where they were needed but personnaly, I will not mobilize. I don't think it's required to have a production bonus for building units in order to win the scenario, the only advantage the AI has is numerical superiority. Take that away, and all the fun goes with it.

Overall, I think your readme is excellent and there should point a link to your post.

razing report for my current game (Germany with manually booste3d AI aggression)
Tobruk either razed or desrtoyed by the British, Tabriz raised by the SU.
update Bardai and Tekro are vanished, too

Bob, I like it too. I'm sure it's one of those things that you can work on it forever. I'm sure there are some other things we can add to it, given enough time to think about it :).

I didn't know about the cumulative power plant setup either, I was playing like vanilla civ.

IanGrieper, Saulosi,DarthCycle - Thanks for your kind words. My idea (not yet approved by Rocoteh) is to put this into a document that would be available for download with the scenario file.

DarthCycle - You will find the AI does mobilize but does not take advantage of the full power. As far as I understand all of this was deliberate by Rocoteh in order to boost production (just like the low costs of temples, cathedrals, etc). In my opinion this is what makes this scenario have such a good "feel" as it is truly a war scenario.

Any corrections or additions out there?

Bob1475 said:
Last week I made reference to a readme file for WW2-Global. As a long-time player I have learned many of the modificactions that are not documented. I think we owe it to new players to pass on this information because we can only determine the vaule of their comments if we all have the same info. Below is a draft and I would appreciate comments, additions, corrections,etc

Bob, this will be a godsend to any newbs just starting the game. It will also help those of us who have playing it for a few versions. Thanks again. :)

BTW Rocoteh would it be possible to add some tobacco to Bulgaria and Turkey. I only have late 1830s figures for Germany but these countries seemed the main source of tabacco before and during the war.

Soviet Union-Deity-v1.9 continues

I know v2.0 is being extensively tested, but I want to finish this game!.
To more effectively mimic v2.0 I started new house rule for this game only on turn 20ish 1941. All armies were disbanded. New MGLs just go to hurrying improvements (mostly offshore rigs). I never draft as that will be disabled for 2.0.

So. Germany and Italy are knocked out about turn 25, 1941. A few turns later I make peace with Japan after conquering all Japan mainland Asia cities.

After a few turns of peace I declare war on the allies and take in turn India, and much of Africa. My militia forces are HUGE and defense almost takes care of itself. As I found when attacking Germany my airforce suffers from lack of quality fighters on offense (until the advent of the Yak-9) so I concentrate on armor and mobile artillery and rockets. BTW where is the Katyushka? Did I miss it late in tech tree?

Afer Yak-9 became available I went on an AF building spree turning most of my non-improvement building over to Yak-9, Pe-8 and Sturmoviks.

By week 52, 1941 I have all of Eurasia and 2/4 of Africa. IN order to avoid razing too many cities in the poorest part of Africa I made temp peace with the allies and demanded a bunch of pop1 cities from the decimated French. After a few turns I will renew my conquest of the Allies and I have been building some naval forces for the invasion of britain. More soon....

Sounds like your pummeling em'. My game at the moment, Im also playing as Russia, though Im not too far in.

Good luck and keep reports coming.

Bob1475 said:
Germany SID v2.0
1941 (until week 31)

Our strategy for 1941 worked easily. We took all cities in Africa with strategic resources (coal and oil) except Algiers. Essentially this left British,Belgian and French with banzai infantry charges against our tanks and rockets - we lost zero units and killed uncountable infantry.

Meanwhile we took Arabia and drove into India where we were slowed only by the meager railroads which we had to build from Persia to connect to the British RR lines. We took India and were about to move into SE Asia when it just proved too boring.

In the interim we launced SeaLion and took the British Isles easily. Could have taken them earlier but did not want to dedicate the necessary units to keep them quiet.

Russians stayed out of the war in 1941 after taking a chunk of China from the British - obviously learning their lesson from our earlier battles and in awe of our military force.

Japan on the defensive vs Americans in the home islands having lost Hiroshima and Akita and Kushiro British)in 1941 on top of the three cities they had lost earlier.

Americans wiped out the Mexicans.

At this point I am stopping the game. What was surprising was the lack of significant tech lead by the opposition. I suspect the inability to trade reduced happiness and production in GB.

In a little while I will try and GB game to see.

Bob1475,

Thank you for the report.

I have followed this playtest with great interest.
Its very surprising that AI not have managed to create a huge tech lead.

Changes must be made with regard to Sealion.

Looking forward to see reports from your new playtest.

Thank you and welcome back.

Rocoteh

eaglefox said:
Britain V2.0 - Sid Level
Week 10, 1940

It definitely seems hard to play Britain, especially because of the terribly slow science. I simply don't have any good units to build. While the Japs and the Germans are churning out their marines and tanks in numbers I have a handful of infantry and a few aircraft to defend my territory. most of my cities are pretty slow, which is an added disadvantage. I think that India should get a wonder to produce Indian infantry. they did fight pretty well in the jungles of burma against the japs and did manage to stop the invasion. right now, i have more or less 15 infantry in india for its defense, which is not good considering india did supply a good force for the fight.
moreover, the science doesn't seem to be improving a whole lot. i did manage to build a few libraries and universities but its still slow. hopefully the courthouses and police stations will get it going. the japs are advancing well into china. they are actually now at the border with britain, and have about 8 marines in india, so i am gearing up for a showdown there. they destroyed all my forces in hong kong so i decided to give it to the chinese. they lost it after about 3 or 4 turns. the germans have conquered all of western europe, but they seem to have settled in now as they can't get to me through turkey or russia. that is good. i actually expected that they'll go and fight the danes and the greeks and the yugoslavians, but no action on their part for a few turns now. i have started sending some spitfires to india for aerial defense. hopefully they'll suffice against the jap bombers. but i desperately need some tanks in india. matidas would be nice, but i think i am a bit far away. my economy is slowing down. so overall the picture looks bleak. but let's see how the japs do agaisnt me in india.

Note: The germans have razed Marseilles in France.

eaglefox,

Thank you for the report.

I think the changes you propose with regard to Britain sounds good.

I will add auto-production of Indian infantry and will also add
libraries and universities.

Looking forward to more reports from this playtest.

Rocoteh

iastch said:
Great scenario..

but... the "China" in the game, who are the nationalist chinese, calls Ch'iang a General Ch'iang, not chairman.... the communist chinese calls Mao chaiman Mao....

o yeah.. and how come the Mao leaderhead is used for the nationalist chinese... while the persian leaderhead is used for the communist chinese??

and it would be great if we can play as communist chinese also xD

iastch,

Thank you.

The next graphic update will correct problems with the leaderheads.
I will make Communist-China playable.

Rocoteh

Bob1475,

Thank you for the reports.

"Early period was getting used to the fact that I had resources but not necessarily everywhere. Where in the past I would use islands to make transports, etc I had to accept that the best I could do was infantry and heavy artillery(for some reason I don’t need resources for heavy artillery but I do for regular artillery?). Accordingly I had troops trapped in Gibraltar, Malta, etc." Bob1475

OK, I will correct that.

"I expect the Germans Navy to be a problem in 1941. I will need to convert more of the home islands to naval production." Bob1475

That is realistic!

"On the ground we lost Gibraltar to the Germans (they razed it)" Bob1475

There seems not to be a 100% way to stop city-razing.

"I took out the Thais fairly early but the Chinese took one of the cities. I took a chance and rushed an Antiaircraft Battery in Hong Kong. Accordingly Hong Kong still stands and is making units!" Bob1475

Very good!

"Japan could not take Canton, Nanning, Kunming, Lhasa and the northern cities before the French counterattacked. Seeing that they were making progress and the Russians are going North I have just launched my offensive and have taken Chungking. French have taken Chengtu. I am letting the French through my lines as they are keeping the Japanese busy." Bob1475

This is a great surprise.

"Again I am surprised at the slow level of tech by the Axis." Bob1475

I agree.

"Russians have an aircraft carrier in the South Pacific. Germans land Panzers near American airbase. Russians raze city next to Oslo. Week 5 Russians declare war on Dutch – here we go!" Bob1475

AI is strange!

"Week 10 – Russians take Damascus, Stack of over 150 Russian units approach Jerusalem, I remove troops from Jerusalem to make a stand at the Suez

Week 11 – Russians take Jersusaelm, Suez, Baghdad" Bob1475

I guess it will be very hard to stop this offensive.

"Week 14 – Perhaps the Russians are overextended – we take Luxor back but I doubt we can continue without Africa production - Russians take Luxor back and then taker El Agheela and raze it. Checked Russia OOB – they have 325 Motorized Rifle Divisons and 114 T-26, 32 KV1s and 26 T34/76 against my 106 Matildas – a lot in defensive positions and 31 Cruisers." Bob1475

Again: This will be tough.

"Wait what about this!!! Rocoteh – Key question here – do we really need to have strategic resources a part of this scenario? How about removing them as a prerequisite for any unit production. After all this is a war scenario. Islands will still be unhappy but at least they can be productive. This way we keep the speed of the game load and between turns but don’t lose any of the production issues. If not the advantage is to Soviets and Germans as land powers." Bob1475

Very interesting idea. I have thought along these lines since I removed
trade over sea and by air.

I am considering to remove resources as prerequisite for unit production.
Its an important change though and I welcome as much feedback as possible
on this issue.

Rocoteh

HAND said:
Problem solved.. tried downloading, deleting and reinstalling again and now it works. I'm not sure if it was in the wrong directory or corrupt file or something. Now i can play test! :)

Btw.. i had a very fast load up time ..2 mins 48 seconds (spec: Athlon 64 3200+, 1Gb DDR)

HAND,

That is very good!

Looking forward to hear from you again.

Rocoteh

Bob1475 said:
Last week I made reference to a readme file for WW2-Global. As a long-time player I have learned many of the modificactions that are not documented. I think we owe it to new players to pass on this information because we can only determine the vaule of their comments if we all have the same info. Below is a draft and I would appreciate comments, additions, corrections,etc

Draft Readme file for WW2 Global

WW2 Global is the result of many months of work by Rocoteh and active participation by many players. The goal is to give a realistic representation of the WW2 period on a global basis. To accomplish this Rocoteh has made significant modifications of the Civ 3 Conquests game. Each change has been extensively play-tested but everything is continually challenged and adjusted.

Many of these changes have been made to increase production and to make the scenario more realistic. Because of the extensive number of units and continuous development the Civilopedia cannot be trusted at this time. You will learn most of the key unit capabilities via play – this readme is to give you highlights of significant changes to gameplay.

1. MOBILIZATION – In Conquests you have the option of MOBILIZATION after researching appropriate technologies. In Conquests, MOBILIZATION brings increased shield production but once started you can only build military units and related improvements. In WW2 Global you get the increased military shield production but do not lose the ability to build other improvements (although without the shield bonus). Therefore you should ALWAYS be MOBILIZED. Note that each time peace is declared with any of your opponents MOBILIZATION is turned off. Be sure to turn it back on to keep your production up.

2. MULTIPLE POWER PLANTS – In Conquests you can have only one power plant (oil, hydro or nuclear). If you have one plant and build another the first power plant disappears. In WW2 Global you can have multiple power plants and their effect is incremental. More power plants means more shield production.

3. In version 2.0 of WW2 Global there are no armies. Armies were eliminated because the AI does not effectively use them.

4. All infantry units have amphibious capability. Marines are available (in most Civilizations by automatic production) but not needed to attack from transports – any infantry unit can attack from transports – armored units cannot attack from transports.

5. Granaries are not available. While increased production is a goal, dramatic growth in small cities is not.

6. Pollution can be cleaned up by one worker in one turn.

7. Governments are locked.

8. Production time has been increased for railroads (at least your workers won’t be worrying about pollution!)

9. In version 2.0, trade via air or sea has been eliminated. This was done to speed up loading time. However, it can have interesting impacts on your game play. If you have islands or a wide empire be prepared to adjust your game strategy. Key resource locations can make or break your production of important military units.

10. If you are in a locked alliance your scoring is based on the total impact of your alliance – take care of your allies!

11. In version 2.0 drafting is no longer possible.

12. In version 2.0 it is no longer possible to steal technologies.

13. Various special wonders exist to automatically produce special flavor units. These exist within the major power cities.

Bob1475,

Very good!
Thank you.

I will post this info again and then create a link on the front page.

Rocoteh

This important info on WW2-Global have been written by Bob1475:

"WW2 Global is the result of many years of work by Rocoteh and active participation by many players. The goal is to give a realistic representation of the WW2 period on a global basis. To accomplish this Rocoteh has made significant modifications of the Civ 3 Conquests game. Each change has been extensively play-tested but everything is continually challenged and adjusted.

Many of these changes have been made to increase production and to make the scenario more realistic. Because of the extensive number of units and continuous development, the Civilopedia cannot be trusted but be sure to find out which planes give you "lethal" ability. You will learn most of the key unit capabilities via play – this readme is to give you highlights of significant changes to gameplay.

1. MOBILIZATION – Mobilization is no longer possible in version 2.4.

2. MULTIPLE POWER PLANTS – In Conquests you can have only one power plant (oil, hydro or nuclear). If you have one plant and build another the first power plant disappears. In WW2 Global you can have multiple power plants and their effect is incremental. More power plants equals more shield production.

3. In version 2.4 of WW2 Global there are NO ARMIES. Armies were eliminated because the AI does not effectively use them.

4. All infantry units have AMPHIBIOUS capability. Marines are available (in most Civilizations by automatic production) but not needed to attack from transports – any infantry unit can attack from transports – armored units cannot attack from transports.

5. POLLUTION can be cleaned up by one worker in one turn.

6. MARSH terrain cannot be altered in WW2 Global.

7. GOVERNMENTS are predetermined and cannot be changed in WW2 Global.

8. Production time has been dramatically increased for RAILROADS (at least your workers won't be worrying about pollution!)

9. In version 2.4, TRADE via air or sea has been eliminated. This was done to speed up loading time. However, it can have interesting impacts on your game play. Note that specific cities retain trading capabilities (noted with airports (normal airports will no longer give that mark on the map)). These cities are key to trade in large empires for intercontinental trade. If you have islands or a wide empire be prepared to adjust your game strategy. Key resource locations can make or break your production of important military units.

10. If you are in a locked ALLIANCE your scoring is based on the total impact of your alliance – take care of your allies!

11. In version 2.4 DRAFTING is NOT possible.

12. In version 2.4 you cannot STEAL technologies.

13. Various special wonders exist to automatically produce special flavor units. These exist within the major power cities.

14. Most cities have wonders with no effects. These were placed in order to reduce RAZING by AI. "House rules" require that the human player does not raze cities.

15. All governments have "paid labor" for hurrying production in WW2Global 2.4.
"

Credits for the above info by Bob1475 have been added at Post 2.
Link established at Post 1.

Top Bottom