[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Kael said:
Did you build the Catacomb Libralus? It puts a mage guild in each of your cities.

Yes I did. I guess I need to read civpedia more. Thanks.

I also need to say that I'm amazed at how well you and your team are functioning. It feels like you've been a team working together for a long time. Great project management/ team synergy. It must be given how responsive you all have been to bugs/ideas/game play balance/and just how each step (since I started at 0.07 at least) seems so well coordinated with how the feel of the game story you all talk against in your replies in this forum.

I also like how you're taking what is great about civ and complicated tech trees and choices, but still keeping it simple and clean. Innovation is not often about having all the features in your product, but about choosing only the best ones and saying no to all the rest.

Great job! And amazing customer satisfaction on the prompt replies to pretty much anyone who participates in the forum. This mod is a lot smoother than any others I've checked out. (No offense to anyone else who has mods going on, and I certainly haven't checked out all of them.)

Kael said:
No, spellcasters only get their first sphere for free.

Maybe I'm missing something in the strategy here with regards to trading, but my workers on auto-pilot created a bunch of mana nodes into nature mana so that now I have 4 of them. Is there something in the AI that would make them do that instead of selecting a type that I don't already have or am not already working to complete? I don't see anyone really wanting to trade any mana nodes with me.

If I only get the first sphere free (and given that I'm ahead in the tech tree in this line so no one else to trade with) is there any way to make it something I don't have to micro-manage?

hawkeye72 said:
Yes I did. I guess I need to read civpedia more. Thanks.

I also need to say that I'm amazed at how well you and your team are functioning. It feels like you've been a team working together for a long time. Great project management/ team synergy. It must be given how responsive you all have been to bugs/ideas/game play balance/and just how each step (since I started at 0.07 at least) seems so well coordinated with how the feel of the game story you all talk against in your replies in this forum.

I also like how you're taking what is great about civ and complicated tech trees and choices, but still keeping it simple and clean. Innovation is not often about having all the features in your product, but about choosing only the best ones and saying no to all the rest.

Great job! And amazing customer satisfaction on the prompt replies to pretty much anyone who participates in the forum. This mod is a lot smoother than any others I've checked out. (No offense to anyone else who has mods going on, and I certainly haven't checked out all of them.)

Yeah, I can't say enough good things about the team. At what they do, they are the best and I am constantly amazed by the quality of their work. I am biased, but I think in some ways they do better work than even Firaxis (come on, is there a cooler unit than those dragons?!?).

They also share a common vision for the project and they dont get bothered if their ideas arent included. They have always been mature and professional and I was surprised to find out that some of the team members are quite young.

My signature used to be "Creator of the Fall from Heaven mod" but I changed it to "Member of" because its a much better reflection of the effort involved. FfH2 is truely a team project and it would be signifcantly less than it is if any one of the members weren't a part of it. I get a lot of personal appreciation for the mod, which isn't deserved as it is truly a team effort and I dont think anyone outside the mod probably realizes how much the quieter members of the team really contribute.

The community has also been awesome. I was worried about opening up the playtest to a large group (and I had no idea how large it would become). But from the begining there has been very little that hasnt been immediatly revealed to the community for feedback. And that feedback has always been friendly and helpful. I wish I could be even better about posting here, I deeply appreciate every post and recommendation made. I know you guys take time out to write them. In the begining I really tried to make sure to respond to everything but because of all of the feedback (to much of a good thing) that hasn't always been possible. Still I do read them all and we have taken tons of ideas from the community, making the mod even better.

Looking at the change list for 0.13, of the 29 additions 7 were from the community (Giant Spider, Grigori Medic, Govannon, Repair ability, Dragon's Hoard raze ability, Unyielding Order spell, Valor spell). And the community is by far the biggest contributor of accepted balance changes.

hawkeye72 said:
Maybe I'm missing something in the strategy here with regards to trading, but my workers on auto-pilot created a bunch of mana nodes into nature mana so that now I have 4 of them. Is there something in the AI that would make them do that instead of selecting a type that I don't already have or am not already working to complete? I don't see anyone really wanting to trade any mana nodes with me.

If I only get the first sphere free (and given that I'm ahead in the tech tree in this line so no one else to trade with) is there any way to make it something I don't have to micro-manage?

Yeah, I wanted to pull the ability to make nodes off of workers (so only adepts and up could do it) to force players to have to pick their node upgrades. But their is an AI issue with that (the ai isnt very good at using non-workers to improve tiles). Until we can get that worked out you are probably better off to not let your workers auto-upgrade your mana nodes.

Every time I get to a crash point, I come to the forum and there is already an updated file to try.

Good job.

I remember some discussion on the water walking so if this is redundant... sorry about that.

I have a djinn, who has water walking, and I sent him out to attack a galley. Cool. Then I was going to send him over to attack another barb unit on the coast, but instead of staying bound to the coast he mapped a path across the ocean. Since I have leader with summoner I can have my 3 turn Djinns acting as early ocean explorers?

If I have someone who isn't summoned with water walking then they can literally walk across the ocean. In reading the civpedia I don't see any constraints, water is water. Just wanted to pass along that it was different (it seems intentional though.)

I was thinking that it would be an amazing touch if you could add seasons to the map. Just simply have 4 seasons one season for each turn. Act as though this world is circling a sun that has a 4 (earth) year cycle so each (earth) year would be one season = one turn. You could have modifiers for the season. You would be able to give a modifier advantage to the tundra folks to attack in winter. I'm sure there are a lot of other creative ways to add flavor with this. It doesn't seem like anything hugely difficult, but I know that I don't fully understand how the coding works.

Of course you could extend seasons by making the turns months for a marathon game or something...

Weather would be even better, but probably pushing the graphics processor too much. Though it would be regional and a major wow factor, i think.

i don't know if this is possible or not, but i wonder if it's possible to transform a religion to something else better... like turning fellowship of the leaves to The Leaves of Genesis.

darkedone02 said:
i don't know if this is possible or not, but i wonder if it's possible to transform a religion to something else better... like turning fellowship of the leaves to The Leaves of Genesis.
1 - Put children up for adoption
2 - Stockpile coffee and snacks
3 - Get divorced

coffee and snacks (didn't know the game had any?) but i want some i am hungry:lol:, divorced, heck been there twice already,:rolleyes:

darkedone02 said:

It is possible, but what would be the advantage of the new religion? What would have to occur to allow the upgrade? Why wouldn't you want to just allow the advantages with the existing religion?

Patch "b" is up and linked in the first post. It fixes the following issues:

1. You can no longer build Rituals in settlements.
2. You can no longer create pirate coves in cities (and get the associated CTD).
3. Tower of Mastery no longer requires 2 of each of the lesser on Huge maps.
4. Added the Spellcode update back in.
5. Players can no longer summon 5 bonus skeletons.

Kael! i have an idea that maybe you would like, though i dont know. i think having a promotion "metalsmith" or something would be interesting. give it to say dwarven heroes, maybe other dwarves, maybe 5% of units produced in a city with a forge, but anyway, the point is that if you say take a warrior to a tile with a copper resource (mined though) and brought said dwarven unit to the tile also, you could upgrade the warrior to an axeman at no charge. the quality of the new weapon is not important i think, but this would add a little bit of a strategy to armies, like "its better to start the march with the little we've got, but with this hero, we can gradually improve our force". i would limit it to 1 upgrade/turn or even per 2 turns if thats possible. maybe extend this for other resources too, but i think it works best for the metal resources.

i hope you like this idea kael, but if not, rest assured that i will be playing this mod for a long time to come.

King Coltrane said:
Kael! i have an idea that maybe you would like, though i dont know. i think having a promotion "metalsmith" or something would be interesting. give it to say dwarven heroes, maybe other dwarves, maybe 5% of units produced in a city with a forge, but anyway, the point is that if you say take a warrior to a tile with a copper resource (mined though) and brought said dwarven unit to the tile also, you could upgrade the warrior to an axeman at no charge. the quality of the new weapon is not important i think, but this would add a little bit of a strategy to armies, like "its better to start the march with the little we've got, but with this hero, we can gradually improve our force". i would limit it to 1 upgrade/turn or even per 2 turns if thats possible. maybe extend this for other resources too, but i think it works best for the metal resources.

i hope you like this idea kael, but if not, rest assured that i will be playing this mod for a long time to come.

Thats a special ability of the Doviello Battlemaster (can upgrade units in the field). We didnt tie it to standing on a resource because thats pretty hard to teach the AI how to do.

The reason its a Doviello ability instead of a Dwarven one is because the functional design of the Doviello is that they dont need their cities (at least as much as other civs). So they have the ability to upgrade away from cities.

I agree with you that from a flavor perspective it fits the dwarves better, but you have to consider the functional impact (being able to keep attacking forces going without withdrawling for upgrades) which doesnt match the dwarves will.

BTW, dwarven adepts (Khazad and Luchuirp) have access to the repair ability which allows them to heal golems, ships and siege weapons. Luchuirp adepts start with the enchantment sphere giving them permanent units boosting abilities. And the Runes of Kilmorph hero Bambur can enchant the weapons of melee units in his tile.

So we do have a couple special dwarven things to represent thier increased ability to craft weapons.

hi keal and the team, first off let me pour yet more praise onto that big old heap of kudos you already have! this mod goes from strength to strength...

right and now the feedback

just playing a single player (a rare event) using 2.13 and the sheam(sp) tebryn and have noticed something that may not be right... you only need 4 mana nodes to win a tower victory... build all the relevent node types (ie elemental) build the relevent tower, destroy all the nodes and rebuild em as another type (ie the alteration nodes) build that tower... and continue until you have all the small towers, they dont disapear if you no longer have the mana source (well at least mine didnt!) could you put a check in for the big towerto make sure you have all the towers PLUS mana types before you can build it, i realise this may make this type of victory to hard... but the other way is much to easy!

next, as i said i was playing the sheam(sp) and just thought with them having an unique undead unit (pyre zombies) couldnt there be a case for these being effected by the necromantic tower to gain +1 str, might keep them in the game a little longer being as they cant upgrade

oh well back to playing!

Did I miss something, did you give Mana Nodes actualy abilities? I've just build a fire node on the ice, and it turned all surrounding lands into desert. The nature node suddenly had a load of forest around it, but nothing happened with the water.
So, what is the low-down on mana nodes now?

chocmushroom said:
Did I miss something, did you give Mana Nodes actualy abilities? I've just build a fire node on the ice, and it turned all surrounding lands into desert. The nature node suddenly had a load of forest around it, but nothing happened with the water.
So, what is the low-down on mana nodes now?

Yes we have abilities for the nodes included. At the moment only for three types of them to test the mechanic.

Chalid said:
Yes we have abilities for the nodes included. At the moment only for three types of them to test the mechanic.

Well, it seems good so far, but must make it so people don't abuse it. Maybe if the first node you make gives the effects, but if you destroy it and build another then the other efect does not happen.

DREWid said:
hi keal and the team, first off let me pour yet more praise onto that big old heap of kudos you already have! this mod goes from strength to strength...

right and now the feedback

just playing a single player (a rare event) using 2.13 and the sheam(sp) tebryn and have noticed something that may not be right... you only need 4 mana nodes to win a tower victory... build all the relevent node types (ie elemental) build the relevent tower, destroy all the nodes and rebuild em as another type (ie the alteration nodes) build that tower... and continue until you have all the small towers, they dont disapear if you no longer have the mana source (well at least mine didnt!) could you put a check in for the big towerto make sure you have all the towers PLUS mana types before you can build it, i realise this may make this type of victory to hard... but the other way is much to easy!

The tower of mastery should require all 4 lesser towers and all 14 mana sources. Thats how it worked in my testing, are you not seeing that?

next, as i said i was playing the sheam(sp) and just thought with them having an unique undead unit (pyre zombies) couldnt there be a case for these being effected by the necromantic tower to gain +1 str, might keep them in the game a little longer being as they cant upgrade

oh well back to playing!

Let us playtest it at the current strength first. If it comes back weak we will see about having it boost built undead like diseased corpses, pyre zombies and the drown.

Can you provide a download in zip or tar.gz? I'd like to test FFH2 on my Mac but I can't open a .exe installer. Can you provide an alternative for download?

Top Bottom