Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

New Granada is here.

Quick questions:
-Regional Independence (65%)
Generally are the upper class in favor of regional independence or are they worried about the destabilizing effect of moving away from centralized governments?
-Anti-Spanish Policies (60%)
-they want more or less? 'cause although independent, we would love to maintain good relations with our mother country.

Milarqui, we have to talk on MSN sometime soon.

Don't think they've been reserved, so I'll grab Burgundy.

Though I have to ask, are there any specific regions or people pushing for regional independence, since it's listed under the Issues of Concern? And is there a reason Burgundy's stability is a bit lower than the norm?

Also, are orders needed for Update 0?

@Polish Ghetto: Republic of the Netherlands has already been claimed.

@Immaculate: Allow me to revise your "Anti-Spanish Policies." I had thought I had deleted them all before posting, but yours must have slipped through. It should be Spanish Influences, which is a sort of Issue of Concern already discussed on the front page. Regional Independence is another which should be moved onto the front page.

@Agent 89: I am expecting orders for Update 0. I've given two weeks to allow claiming of reservations and getting used to orders. For Burgundy's people, almost all are looking to separate into various other countries.

Is update 0 going to be just a setting things up update, or will we actually be spending? I suppose that at least the part of Burgundy east of the Rhine would like to be German.

A Brief History of the Republic of New Granada

Nearly two centuries after the establishment of the New Kingdom of Granada in the 16th century, whose governor was loosely dependent upon the Viceroy of Peru at Lima, and an audiencia at Santa Fé de Bogotá, the slowness of communications between the two capitals led to the creation of an independent Viceroyalty of New Granada in 1717. Other provinces corresponding to modern Ecuador, the eastern and southern parts of today's Venezuela, and Panama came together in a political unit under the jurisdiction of Bogotá, confirming that city as one of the principal administrative centers of the Spanish possessions in the New World, along with Lima and Mexico City. Sporadic attempts at reform were directed at increasing efficiency and centralizing authority, but control from Spain was never very effective.

The Kingdom of New Granada was left without effective rule when the royal line died out in 1810. While many of the nobility scrambled to place their own upon the throne, the people showed greater initiative and formed political parties and elected a president, the first for the newly formed Republic of New Granada, Presidente Andrés Peréz. By the time the news reached the old world, Spain had to choose between a war or acceptance. The new republic, though independent of Spain, maintained good relations and was essential to the maintenance of their colonial holdings in the New World, economically especially, by establishing themselves as a major point of convergence for trade and shipping. The Republic of New Granada tended to side politically and diplomatically against the periodic appearance of dictators and would-be monarchs who would attempt to lead their colonial nations to independence from Spain and even provided military assistance to the colonial powers of Spanish Peru in their fight against the ousting of Spanish powers from Chile by dictatorial powers (with only limited success). There were much more silent, though never worse than neutral in popular uprisings for independence such as those seen in the colony of Gran Florida (which failed). Ultimately this behavior made the new republic an asset to the Spanish emperor it rathered cooperate with then to wage war against.

In 1817, a coup was attempted by allied noble factions within the Captaincy General of Venezuela (then an administrative district of the nascent republic) who wished to establish a new monarchy within the entirety of the New Republic. Some say that United Kingdom of Great Britain may have been involved and certainly English cannon was found amongst the armies of the Venezuelan coup. A long war, now called the ‘Colombian-Venezuelan Wars’ lasting from 1817 to 1818 and 1819 to 1828 saw a see-saw exchange of territory and the loss of hundreds of tobacco, coffee and cocoa plantations on both sides. The battle was won for Colombia in 1817 when a precision strike by Spanish-trained Colombian commandoes ended the lives of the Venezuelan nobility. The next year, a new enemy, a popular dictator, rose to lead the Venezuelans to new wars of independence. The Venezuelan dictator was as aggressive and murderous with his own population as he was with the Colombians he sought to battle for control of the Republic. Eventually however, after nearly 12 years of war, an unofficial peace was agreed to whereby the Venezuelans would be governed by their dictatorial ‘presendente’, though he was never actually elected and the Colombia would be free from their attacks and raids, though lose much of their eastern territory. Amongst Colombians, the issue continues to haunt politicians and the politicians as the 'civil war' has never come to a satisfactory conclusion- many 'East Colombians' continue to be abused or killed by their dictatorial "president" and yet it takes a brave politician to suggest a military solution after 12 years of blood and violence and only 2 of rebuilding and 'peace'.

@immaculate: Ambitious to tell a history that hasn't happened yet. The NES starts in 1830.

@GamezRule: Update 0 is an actual update. Get full orders in over the next two weeks.

@Polish Ghetto: None of those nations have been claimed.

Read the first post. "Orders and Updates" section.

King Francis of Austria signing in

Milan is here.

TO: Carlos V, Emperor of Holy Spain

As my father always told me, it is best to make decisions from the heart and with the spirit. So from within my heart and through my spirit I send to you a message of friendship and equal admiration on the South American continent. Securing our borders and stabilizing the lands we hold, agreeing to respect one another's sovereignty and continuing to educate the deep tribes of the continent in the ways of Christianity, and of the Church. What say you emperor?

Red China, standing by.

Top Bottom