What civilizations would you add?

blackdaggr

Chieftain
What civilizations would you like to see added to Civilization: Revolution if they ever released another expansion pack? Who would their leader be? What would the civ have for bonuses during each Age?

I'd like to see what everyone thinks would be balanced for some of the unused civs.

Persia
Led by Darius
Start Bonus: Start with Bronze Working(Closer to Immortals)
Ancient Bonus: Temples available at the beginning (Zoroastrianism)
Middle Bonus: Horsemen and Knights have +1 Attack (Persian Cavalry)
Industrial Bonus: Free libraries in each city (Persian Scholars)
Modern Bonus: Uranium is available. (Iranian Nuclear Plants)

Inca
Led by Pachacuti
Start Bonus: +1 Food in mountains (Terraces)
Ancient Bonus: Half-Price Roads (Incan Roads)
Middle Bonus: Free Pikeman army in Capital (Huaminca Spearmen)
Industrial Bonus: +1 Attack for Riflemen (Bolivar's Revolution)
Modern Bonus: +1 Food in mountains( modern agriculture meets terraces)

Persia
Led by Darius
Start Bonus: Start with Bronze Working(Closer to Immortals)
Ancient Bonus: Temples available at the beginning (Zoroastrianism)
Middle Bonus: Horsemen and Knights have +1 Attack (Persian Cavalry)
Industrial Bonus: Free libraries in each city (Persian Scholars)
Modern Bonus: Uranium is available. (Iranian Nuclear Plants)

Inca
Led by Pachacuti
Start Bonus: +1 Food in mountains (Terraces)
Ancient Bonus: Half-Price Roads (Incan Roads)
Middle Bonus: Free Pikeman army in Capital (Huaminca Spearmen)
Industrial Bonus: +1 Attack for Riflemen (Bolivar's Revolution)
Modern Bonus: +1 Food in mountains( modern agriculture meets terraces)

What does "Temples available at the beginning" mean? Does this mean they are available on the build queue or you start with a temple? In the former case, I think you would just give them knowledge of Ceremonial Burial, but it would be weird to start a civ with two techs.

Free libraries in all cities would be seriously overpowered. Two civs already have half-cost libraries in industrial. Free libraries everywhere? Strategy: step 1, get a lot of cities out (not hard since you can build archers at the start), step 2, get to industrial, step 3, everybody quits because your science output just doubled.

Your modern age bonus doesn't really make sense to me either. Free Nuclear Power tech or just access to the very rare resource? In any case, I don't think Iran is really a leader in nuclear technology. Even among nations the west would like not to have nukes, they are behind North Korea and Pakistan and of course are far behind the USA, Russia, etc. Something cultural or economic might make more sense. Look at Iran's cultural movements from the 1970's before the fundamentalists took over.

I like your Incas better, but a free pikeman army? Eh. Not that exciting. There's a long thread about a hypothetical Incan civ at the 2k Forums.

Vikings

Leader: Leif Ericson, Capital: Trondheim

Start Bonus: Half Price Ships (they are Vikings)
Ancient Bonus: Galleys may enter deep water (Vikings make the best ancient sailors)
Medieval Bonus: Triple Gold from captured cities (Vikings like plunder)
Industrial Bonus: +1 Movement for Alpine Riflemen (See below)
Modern Bonus: +1 Food from sea Squares (A Viking's gotta eat!)

Special Units: Viking Longboat (Galleys with Dragon-head prows), Alpine Riflemen (Riflemen in white parkas wearing skis)

The long boats are obvious. The Alpine Riflemen refer to Finland's defeat of the USSR's invasion during the period of the Hitler-Stalin Pact.

Vikings

Leader: Leif Ericson, Capital: Trondheim

Start Bonus: Half Price Ships (they are Vikings)
Ancient Bonus: Galleys may enter deep water (Vikings make the best ancient sailors)
Medieval Bonus: Triple Gold from captured cities (Vikings like plunder)
Industrial Bonus: +1 Movement for Alpine Riflemen (See below)
Modern Bonus: +1 Food from sea Squares (A Viking's gotta eat!)

Special Units: Viking Longboat (Galleys with Dragon-head prows), Alpine Riflemen (Riflemen in white parkas wearing skis)

The long boats are obvious. The Alpine Riflemen refer to Finland's defeat of the USSR's invasion during the period of the Hitler-Stalin Pact.

I thought you were going to refer to Norwegian resistence ski troopers sabotaging Hitler's heavy water plant, preventing the nazis from developing the nuke first. I guess there are multiple good reasons for a bonus like this. Too bad it sucks horribly as a bonus.

Confederate States of America

Leader: Robert E. Lee, Capital: Richmond

Start Bonus: Free Irrigation Tech (CSA was a heavily agricultural nation)
Ancient Bonus: New defensive units gain Loyalty (Patriotism!)
Medieval Bonus: Fundamentalism (very religious)
Industrial Bonus: Free Cruiser/Steam Power Tech (the CSS Virginia/Merrimack, which was one of the first ironclad ships)
Modern Bonus: 1/2 cost Riflemen

I thought you were going to refer to Norwegian resistence ski troopers sabotaging Hitler's heavy water plant, preventing the nazis from developing the nuke first. I guess there are multiple good reasons for a bonus like this. Too bad it sucks horribly as a bonus.

Hey, I did not know about the heavy water thing. Pretty cool, especially since Norwegians are descended from Vikings and Finns technically are not.

True about the bonus being lame but I did not want to be the guy whose suggested civ was over-powered. That is what the Zulus are for! Also, I thought the first two bonuses, because they work together, are pretty powerful. Consider the other big naval power, Spain. While they get Galleons on their build menu right away, in the ancient to early Medieval eras, that is really a disadvantage: A Galleon is a major commitment in the early game. My Vikings, by contrast, can build Galleys for little more than the cost of a warrior. Get one or two of those puppies out in the deep, blue water and the Vike's chances of getting Artifacts and settling islands is greatly enhanced.

Hey, I did not know about the heavy water thing. Pretty cool, especially since Norwegians are descended from Vikings and Finns technically are not.

True about the bonus being lame but I did not want to be the guy whose suggested civ was over-powered. That is what the Zulus are for! Also, I thought the first two bonuses, because they work together, are pretty powerful. Consider the other big naval power, Spain. While they get Galleons on their build menu right away, in the ancient to early Medieval eras, that is really a disadvantage: A Galleon is a major commitment in the early game. My Vikings, by contrast, can build Galleys for little more than the cost of a warrior. Get one or two of those puppies out in the deep, blue water and the Vike's chances of getting Artifacts and settling islands is greatly enhanced.

A 15 hammer longboat would be pretty good, but I think the Spanish would still be stronger with 3 movement and 2 attack/defense. Doesn't really matter as there's no chance for new content for CivRev (even if devs would be combing forums looking for ideas). Maybe CivRev2 (knock on wood), but presumably the game will be at least somewhat different so a bonus that is weak in CivRev might be stronger in the sequel.

A 15 hammer longboat would be pretty good, but I think the Spanish would still be stronger with 3 movement and 2 attack/defense. Doesn't really matter as there's no chance for new content for CivRev (even if devs would be combing forums looking for ideas). Maybe CivRev2 (knock on wood), but presumably the game will be at least somewhat different so a bonus that is weak in CivRev might be stronger in the sequel.

I disagree that the Spanish would be stronger. Remember, my Vikings would be able to produce almost three galleys for the cost of one galleon. And since they could produce them in different cities, they could get them going in about one third of the time. (I would never actually build three. Two at most if you have an east and west coast.) Also, I feel that attack/defense would be largely irrelevant. Their important function would be exploration and possibly transporting settlers.

Yup I'd like to see the Vikings and Incans included too, but I've certainly not fleshed it out anywhere near the earlier posters.

How about Native Americans, Cartharginans, Scots? Perhaps to balance the continental representation, Khmer, Thais?

haz

PS I'd also really like to see unique graphics for civ units e.g. the Sherman and T-34 looking different to the stock tank. This makes Rev closer to the PC game but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Korea
Led by Wang Kong
Start Bonus: All units get Loyalty (Korea spent most of its time defending)
Ancient Bonus: Cheaper Siege units (Availability of Hwanchas)
Middle Bonus: Hwanchas have +1 Attack (Medieval improvements of them)
Industrial Bonus: Free Printing Press Tech (They will always claim that they invented the Printing Press)
Modern Bonus: Tanks get +1 DEfence (Korean War)
UUs: Hwancha (Catapult)

Iroquois
Led by Hiawatha (Or Logan, if you don't believe the former ever existed)
Start Bonus: Units get no movement penalties in Forests. (Forest Dwellers)
Ancient Bonus: +1 Food in Forests (Hunting!)
Middle Bonus: All units get Guerrilla (Fighting in forests)
Industrial Bonus: +1 Culture in all cities( I came, I saw European Settlers, I got my tribe to survive)
Modern Bonus: +1 Food in Forests (Hunting meets Modern times. I totally didn't just steal that from the Inca's bonuses)

Vietnam
Led by Either of the Trung sisters
Start Bonus: Attack and Defense bonus when your unit is in a Jungle (Did you know they actually usually fought in JUNGLES? Perish the thought! *Shot for obvious*)
Ancient Bonus: No Movement penalties in Jungles (See Above)
Middle Bonus: Free Religion Tech (Lots of Buddhists during this time)
Industrial Bonus: Half Priced Wonders (Angkor Wat)
Modern Bonus: All units get Grulleria (Vietnam War)

Ottomans
Led by Mehmed II
Start Bonus: Knowledge of Mathematics (Ottos were about the SIEGE!)
Ancient Bonus: All Siege Units start as Veterans (Sieging)
Middle Bonus: Knights start with with Inflintration (Fall of Constantinople)
Industrial Bonus: Jannersiaries start with Leadership
Modern Bonus: +1 Production (Oil)
UU: Janissary (Rifleman), Any of the Cannon UUs in Age of Empire 3 for the Ottomans (Cannon)

No movement penalty in forests/jungles would be a pretty bad bonus because there are no movement penalties in CivRev. Also there are no jungles.

I would prefer more balanced civs than adding other crappy civs or overpowered ones

I want to add my country, Canada. We could have a huge bonus for wheat and whatnot. We get a unique battlefield infantry, type of unit.

I want to add my country, Canada. We could have a huge bonus for wheat and whatnot. We get a unique battlefield infantry, type of unit.

You mean the Mountie? :D

On another forum someone proposed a Canadian civ and said that the US should get to ignore all their bonuses.

Carthage
Led by Dido
Start Bonus: +1GP/city (Trade Economy)
Ancient Bonus: Units can move over Mountains but have -50% defence if attacked (FY Hannibal)
Medieval Bonus: +1 Food from Grasslands (the region had a major agricultural boom after Roman conquest)
Industrial Bonus: Gain gold for Naval kills (Barbary Pirates)
Modern Bonus: +1 income from all special resource tiles (the Tunisian economy is very diverse with many exports)
UU: War Elephant (Legion)

Top Bottom