railroad harbor bug

Wr4ith

Chieftain
Cities on another continents are acting weird with railroad production bonus. I will try explain as best as i can:

first continent: City1(harbor)-----Capital=====City2(harbor) City 3(harbor)

City 4(harbor)

second continent: City 4(harbor)----City5(harbor)--------City6(harbor)

I started like this. Only one of the city from second continent got the railroad bonus (rrb), so i tried to fix this. Sold harbor from 3rd city only made things more weird :) The rrb 'jumped' from one city to another (on second continent). When i sold harbor in 1st and 4th city, the rrb appeared 4,5,6 city(nice) Buying harbor again in 4th city let the rrb appeared in 3rd city(without harbor!) then i bought harbor again in first city, BUT cut the road- rrb from 4,5 cities was gone (only 6 had), still rrb in 3rd city(still without harbor).

No mods, latest patch

So, after some time testing, i found it is even more interensting... The 'jumping' rrb in 3 coastal cities with harbors and ROAD connection between them, stabilized and all of them stayed with it. But the thing with rrb in city with no trade route at all (no harbor/road) wasnt just one accident, i realized that selling all trade connections (harbors/roads/railroads) in cities that already got rrb doesnt make it disappear, even after ~50 turns. So my question is: this is a feature or bug? ( for myself it is bug because it doesnt make sense).
I have screenshots or even save file if im allowed to upload it in some way.

You are correct, I can confirm from reading the game's source code that while the game has code to set rrb if a railroad connection is created, no code exists to remove rrb if the connection is destroyed.

Thank you so much for replying:) Unfortunately i have no knowledge to read this from the code. Was it discovered earlier? I couldn't find report with this problem, which is strange for me because it looks like a major bug, regardless the fact that even rrb is often bugged, appear much turns later or dissapear with no reason.

I don't know if it was discovered earlier, but people probably did not notice it before because railroads come so late into the game, and in the rare cases when an AI is able to pillage a railroad, people probably wouldn't double-check if the railroad bonus actually turned off. Still, it's a relative easy fix within the code itself, and you'll probably see its fix cropping up in unofficial/balance patch mods in the near future.

Top Bottom