Stop at a certain age

Aglaian

Chieftain
I'm not sure if there's another thread like this, but i have a suggestion for the civ5 developers.

Every time i play i always get bored when i reach the modern ages. I always start new games because i only find the beginning and the middle of the game fun - between stone age and industrial.

My suggestion for the developers is to be able to set a certain age (stone age, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial or modern) as a stop. For example, if you choose renaissance as the final age, you cannot go any further in technology - only play between stone age and renaissance and that's it.

I'm sure that i'm not the only one who loves to play with the early gunpowder units and airplanes, and then gets bored once there's modern armors and nukes all over the place.

Thanks! :goodjob:

I mostly find that part fun due to the way you can expand your empire. Post-Medieval Age the map is sorta filled out though. The game really needs a colonization element, in my opinion. It'd spice up the later ages.

I mostly find that part fun due to the way you can expand your empire. Post-Medieval Age the map is sorta filled out though. The game really needs a colonization element, in my opinion. It'd spice up the later ages.

Civilization: Colonization, mate.

I would love to see some colonisation in CiV, but I don't think it would happen because of the standalone spin-off. However, they should at least incorporate some sort of colonization that's not too detailed and in-depth, but nonetheless can be identified as colonising.

There is a map script called Terra IIRC iin Civ IV, which generates two major landmasses and players start on only one of them. The second landmass is unreachable with early ships, so it has to be colonized later. The economy system made such colonization of distant land not very practical though.

My suggestion for the developers is to be able to set a certain age (stone age, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial or modern) as a stop. For example, if you choose renaissance as the final age, you cannot go any further in technology - only play between stone age and renaissance and that's it.
I'll support this. In BtS or Warlords the "late start" was introduced. Why not an "early finish" indeed. Not in terms of rounds, but putting a cap on the tech tree at a certain age sounds like a very sensible suggestion. Once the game is out, it shouldn't be too hard to mod the removal of certain techs, so it can be done in a mod, too.

Yes! This worked wonderfully in Empire Earth and it should work well in civ 5.
If they don't add an age cap I'm sure it'll be modded if at all practical/possible

I'm not sure if there's another thread like this, but i have a suggestion for the civ5 developers.

Every time i play i always get bored when i reach the modern ages. I always start new games because i only find the beginning and the middle of the game fun - between stone age and industrial.

I'm sure that i'm not the only one who loves to play with the early gunpowder units and airplanes, and then gets bored once there's modern armors and nukes all over the place.

Thanks! :goodjob:

I alsoo used to stop around flight... and tanks. Found it too boring.

For me it's the Classical era. I like to take my time and conquer the world as the Romans back when they were in their Classical prime. I'm really glad that I found this thread, too. I wasn't sure if other people thought the modern era was boring as well.

I'm with you on this idea. I like tanks and air units but at Modern age things are pretty much stagnant since at this point of time you probably winning. Having the option of playing in ages of your choice is a great and I really hope devs will implement it.

I love this idea. I rarely declare war in the modern age unless I'm very advanced because I don't like the mechanics of airplanes, and anything beyond the first simple tank gets too powerful for me to like it.

I loved this about Call to Power. Being able to start and stop in any age was great. Sometimes you just want your game to climax with a World War 2 endgame. Sometimes you want it to end with Ships of the Line.

To me, it seems like an extremely easy way to add much more variety to the game.

I would love this feature, in vanilla. If someone made a mod, maybe if you choose X era to stop, that era has expanded techs. So we would break them down, to draw out research more, but it wouldn't advance beyond that era. This way the research aspect of the game wouldn't come to a stand still. You follow me?

I would love this feature, in vanilla. If someone made a mod, maybe if you choose X era to stop, that era has expanded techs. So we would break them down, to draw out research more, but it wouldn't advance beyond that era. This way the research aspect of the game wouldn't come to a stand still. You follow me?
So basically you're suggesting that techs should be more expensive in an "early stop" scenario? I can see how that works, if you're doing a classic game, you don't want it to be maxed out in 40 rounds and then stand still. OTOH, if you're doing a classic game, you also don't want to be stuck with warriors and spearmen for 150 rounds because you only then develop swordmen.

Good idea ... for a mod. The feature would clearly lead to some imbalance (i.e. America will be much weaker if the science tree would stop before B-52), so I'd not focus on it for the core game.

Good idea ... for a mod. The feature would clearly lead to some imbalance (i.e. America will be much weaker if the science tree would stop before B-52), so I'd not focus on it for the core game.

There is nothing core about this idea. It boils down to a simple drop down box in the create game screen. Select which age you want tech to end.

You could go even further, as Call to Power did, and allow the player to choose to exclude any building or unit from the create game screen as well(as in CtP), but that would just be bonus.

There is nothing core about this idea.

By core - I meant things developed by Firaxis as opposed to mods.

To be more clear: simple implementation will cause imbalance between civs, and balancing the feature would require too much effort. So I'd prefer development team to focus on other things and leave this feature to modders.

I agree with you, but I thought that that's what marathon game were for. It usually ends in a savage bloodbath (at the other end of your muskets, with any luck) before modern era.

I really hope they will keep the extra slow game pace in ciV vanilla.

Yeah, you are right. I would love to see such stop-at-that-point feature as well. *signs in the list*

Top Bottom