Windows 10 Install

archer1919

Chieftain
CIV 4; Windows 10 on Sony Vaio. Program installs but will not run when Civ icon is clicked. Program asks for admin, but when approval is given, nothing happens...

Thanks for any assist!

Is DirectX 9 installed? Newer Versions are not backward compatible.
Is it Civ4 Vanilla or Civ4:BTS? The only CD-version of Civ4 without CD-copy protection is Civ4:BTS with Patch 3.19.

DirectX 9 is installed. It is the "Game of the Year Edition", 2006 copyright. I have all three disks. Recent purchase.
File size installed : 1.46 GB (1,574,885,733 bytes). 4850 files, 252 folders
Free space on HD = 307 GB; 4 GB of RAM. i5 CPU...

Windows 10 does not include the "secdrv" program, which is the copy protection scheme used on all CIV (and loads of other games) discs. Microsoft has decided that secdrv is a security risk and has removed it from Windows 10, as well as blocking it from working on Windows 7 and 8 (the latter with a security update back in September). secdrv is the program that looks at the disc to be sure that it is an original and not a copy, when the game boots up. If the disc fails the test, or if the code to run the test is missing (now the status courtesy of Microsoft), then the game won't start up. CIV BTS 3.19 patch eliminates the disc check and should work fine. So, using the 3.19 patch, BTS will run. However, both Warlords and the original game still require the disc check and will no longer work. For Windows 7 and 8, there is a work around but for Windows 10 no.

All versions still work on Macintosh, since Apple used a different copy protection scheme.

Online DRM versions also work, since they don't use secdrv either.

No luck with the download...
Went to patch and tried all possible means to download the patch...without buying additional software.. what's the secret to thread the maze to just get the 3.19 patch?
Thanks

At the top of this page, click on "Civ4". You will get a drop down menu. Click on "Patches & Updates". You will see a list of patches and updates. CIV BTS 3.19 should be at the top of the list. If it isn't scroll through until you find it. Click on the link in it and you will go to the download screen for BTS 3.19. Don't click on "Download File". That links to a dead download. Below the main entry, you will see "Download Mirrors". There are three of them. The first one links to the same place as the "Download File" link and doesn't work. The third one, "FileFront", works. I just downloaded it to test the link. I did not test the second choice, so I don't know if it works or not.

FileFront does download but both Google Chrome and MS Explorer will not allow me to unzip the file. Chrome claims the host has malware. However, Firefox will let me download, which I have, and moved to C/Program(86)/Fraxis. However, Setup.exe is not working, and troubleshooting does not leave any msg.

I feel like I am getting closer, and do appreciate your help. What's next?

archer1919: I can't test the exe, since I already have 3.19 installed and running the patch will only give me a message that it is already installed. Perhaps there is a problem with the exe at the FileFront site. Try the site that Ramkhamhaeng gives a link to. Serial recently posted that one was working.

Patch suggested by Ramkhamhaeng downloaded and the install screen opened (as it did with the FileFront); however, the install process goes no further than the "timing wheel" endless (apparently revolutions.) "Setup.exe is not responding", and when MS is checking for a solution, it simply shuts down. Tried to run a admin and directly clicking on icon for install wizard as appears in "downloads". Another clue is that when I moved download to "Programs (x86) the install wizard stops before showing Civ install screen....

Be sure that you are letting the update and CIV exes run with Admin privileges. When programs are installed in "Programs (x86)" Windows won't let programs make changes in that folder unless they have Admin privileges. A lot of people (including me) installed CIV elsewhere to avoid this problem. I installed my CIV in a folder that I created at the same level as "Programs (x86)", that I call "Applications", which is where I install all programs to avoid MicroSoft's limits. I know that many people only do that for their games and call the folder "Games". The name does not matter, as long as you know where it is and what is in it.

I have re-installed the patch at the same level as Programs(x86) and execute assys admin; install wiz comes up and after answering 2 questions, click install; I don't get any further..

PS. I assume that some place during the install, the patch will look for the original CIV 4 installed as DVD's? Is this correct.

Thanks again for your assist?
PS. Should I look to security configs?

I'm not sure what you mean by your first "PS". However, when the install wizard comes up, you have to redirect it to where you have installed CIV, otherwise it will look in the standard location.

As to your second "PS", that is something about which I am not knowledgeable.

OK..my apologies for the PS diversions.

Basic Issue now: Install program for patch goes into a loop. It is not working

When I click on the Patch "Setup.exe" icon I do so from Sys admin, and wizard shows screen asking for language, agreement to license agreement, then registration, then allows me to click on "install" button. From there I am in an apparent infinite loop..."the timing circle". Once in this loop, it is difficult to exit. Trouble shooter program does not give me any issues, and will shut the install program down. I have to use "cntrl, alt, delete" to shut the program down.

I very much appreciate your patience and help. Love the game...used to play many years ago ...different hardware and OS. Any more ideas on why the intall will not work?

I suspect that the problem is something that is set wrong in the System. As far as Windows 10 is concerned, I don't use it, so I am not well informed on what has changed from earlier versions.

However, if you want to try a copy of the patch that I know works and you trust me with the info, you can PM me your email address and I can email you a copy of the download that I used to patch my CIV BTS to 3.19, which works fine on Windows 7.

Another possibility has to do with the version of BTS that you have currently. Some users have reported that on their systems the 3.19 patch did not work unless they had already applied earlier patches up through 3.17. Which version number is your BTS?

time to light candles and incense ...I will try 3.17 (R....), then come back for your (S.. 3.19)

the 3 P's are clearly called for ...Patience Persistence Perseverance

Thanks to you both...

Top Bottom