Windows 10: cannot Launch BTS

fr94

Chieftain
Since the migration of my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I cannot play anymore Civ IV Beyond the Sword. I did lots of search on the net and it seems to be a problem of DRM that are no more supported on W10.

I try to buy a new version of Civ IV + Civ IV Beyond the sword on steam. But unfortunately I could not install it on my Windows 10 system (Blocking message at the begining of the installation )

Does anybody knows if Firaxis will prepare a new package of Civ IV and BTS that will work on Windows 10 ?

Hello Leif
Maybe DRM is not the good word.
Nevertheless, on windows 10 it is not possible to launch the service secdrv. (It is still possible on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.1 but not on Windows 10)
This is the reason why my version of Civ IV Beyond the Sword is not working anymore

If your CIV BTS is patched to 3.19, it no longer accesses the disc. Since it no longer accesses the disc, it does not use secdrv and should work with Windows 10. Unfortunately, both Warlords and the basic game do require secdrv and won't work with Windows 10.

As to the Steam problem, that is probably being caused by something in your security software, since several people have posted that they are using Steam versions on Windows with no problem. A setting most likely needs to be changed but I can't comment further since I don't use Steam. You might consider starting a new thread with Steam being blocked included in the thread title. That will probably attract the attention of Steam users and get you some useful suggestions.

Hello Leif
Maybe DRM is not the good word.
Nevertheless, on windows 10 it is not possible to launch the service secdrv. (It is still possible on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.1 but not on Windows 10)
This is the reason why my version of Civ IV Beyond the Sword is not working anymore

If your CIV BTS is patched to 3.19, it no longer accesses the disc. Since it no longer accesses the disc, it does not use secdrv and should work with Windows 10. Unfortunately, both Warlords and the basic game do require secdrv and won't work with Windows 10.
Thanks s.bernbaum, you are correct. BtS must be updated to 3.19 to be drm free.

But if he is using a STEAM version, he should not need secdrv at all, for vanilla or Warlords or BtS. STEAM removes the drm.

leif,

Do you use Steam? (I don't.) fr94 says he is getting an error message when he tries to install the Steam version. Perhaps you can suggest something on that, if you do use Steam.

I used to use STEAM. :lol:

When I built a new game system a year or so ago, I installed Windows 8 and could not get the disk version to run. I bought the STEAM version and used it until I upgraded to Win10. Then I could not get the STEAM version to run correctly, along with the Hall of Fame mod, and uninstalled it and then reinstalled the disk version. :dunno:

The disk version of BtS works great, but vanilla and Warlords do not unless I use the information linked above.

Oh my! :rolleyes:

I used Steam to run Civ IV: BTS, and on Win7 it worked just fine. Upgraded to Win10 and now when I try to start the game I get the following errror:

-ERROR-
Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings Parameters

-Width =1024
- height =768
- flags = 0xc
- hwnd =0xc0272
- adaptrid =0
- deviceid =3

Error: Creation failed: Invalid 3D device type

I have the latest drivers and according to dxdiag DirectX is running just fine. Of course that doesn't mean either of those aren't still the problem.

Side(?) note: In another forum somebody notes that this version doesn't include the Copy-Protection for Vanilla/Warlords! It does not contain any Steam-binding, too.
Sounds like the perfect solution for Win 10.

kecker,

This may or may not be the problem:
Check to see if you have DirectX 9 installed. CIV predates later DirectX versions and requires DirectX 9. If you don't have DirectX 9 installed, you can download it and install it in addition to the later version(s). They won't conflict. Programs will use whichever version they need. However, I don't think that Windows 10 includes the older DirectX 9. There is a thread in this Tech forum that tells where to find it. (Sorry, I don't recall the thread name, you will have to hunt for it.)

So out of curiosity has anyone actually come up with a way to allow Secdrv in Windows 10 and thus allow the loading of Vanilla and Warlords?

If I've learnt one thing about computers in my 29 years using the things it is; "Where there's a will there's a way!", so if anyone has any ways to tell Win10 to do what it's told then please, share. :)

Edit: I want to state that this is the best Civ release to date and since this Civ they've watered down the format, taken away the movies, cut out half the ambience, restricted the units and diversity of gameplay, and turned it into a simpletons paradise of eye candy and dumbed down gameplay. :)

If I've learnt one thing about computers in my 29 years using the things it is; "Where there's a will there's a way!", so if anyone has any ways to tell Win10 to do what it's told then please, share. :)

No CD-cracks.

You can also self-sign the protection driver. It's explained here: http://theitbros.com/how-to-play-games-with-safedisc-or-securerom-drm-on-windows-10/

It does involve using secdrv.sys and I'm not sure if this exposes you to the security risks that required its removal in the first place.

Thanks Colon, that's helped me out heaps. :D

Top Bottom