Random SG 01 - The Randomness Begins

Let's add a couple more galleasses to our fleet. Suleiman typically has a strong navy due to his unique ability to convert barbarians. Keep some of the fleet off our western coast, but obviously the majority of it on the east coast.

Our social policy should be fine soon due to all these wonders in Persepolis^^
There is +1 happiness from Harbor/Lighthouse/Seaport in Exploration, I'm pretty sure we can take it now. We have built Circus Maximus, haven't we?:) If we did I agree to grab some Happiness instead of science:((

Yeh, navy looks like a key in this war, let's focus on it. If you'll have a chance, trade off some iron from The Sweden:)

P. S. Just remembered, if production in the capital is available an observatory would be great^^

Since we have a colosseum in all our cities we can also build the Circus Maximus for more happiness, I was thinking of maybe building that in Carthage after the Observatory is done (I already started one!). I'll start some Galleases on the east coast when they're done with the elephant in Hippo (just 1 turn left or so), and observatory in Utique.

Here comes the rest of my turnset. Lots of interesting events. I told Attila to give us 10 turns to prepare for a war against Suleiman. If we later don't live up to our promise to declare war it doesn't really matter if he hates us anyway, since we will be attacking him.

T175: Gades shifts production from a Longswordsman to a Galleass. Hippo Regius finishes the Forest Elephant and start another Galleass.

Attila comes to us again, this time asking if we want to sign a Declaration of Friendship. I tell him "Sorry, we prefer to go it alone" so we won't have to backstab him later.
Spoiler super friendly Attila :
T176: Nothing much happened.

Attila is a frequent visitor these days. He comes to us asking for a deal, offering 5GPT and Open Borders in exchange for Wine. I accept since we could use access to his terrain in our possible war against Suleiman.

T177: Sweden has met all civs and researched Printing Press which means the World Congress is founded with them as host. We get to propose a resolution and since I don't see anything very interesting I go with Natural Heritage Sites (+5 culture/natural wonder) to boost Mt Kilimanjaro a little. Also Suleiman has Uluru so if we can snatch the city that has it later on we would get two natural wonders with possible culture bonus.

T178: Our agent reports that Attila is plotting against Ottomans and Ethiopia. I inform Ethiopia about this (we don't have to attack them for a Dom win anyway) but not the Ottomans since we might be joining in on that plot. The Great Wall is not built in Attila's Court. The two possible suspects would be Addis Ababa or Caesarea Maritima - the only other big cities Attila has got. I sent the spy to Addis Ababa to check it out because it would take 27 turns to steal a tech anyway.

Carthage finishes construction on an Observatory and starts building the Circus Maximus for a Happiness boost. Now - next player, remember: Persepolis does not have a Colosseum. Do not annex the city before Circus Maximus is done.

T179: One of our Scouts meet Antananarivo on the coast just outside of Constantinople. Utique and Hippo Regius finishes an Observatory and a Galleass respectively, and are both set to build one more Galleass each. We're almost out of influence with Cape Town so I send some money their way because we're already at -8 happiness without losing their spice.

Attila declares war on Suleiman already! He wasn't patient enough to wait until we had had our 10 turns. That rarely happens in my games, they most often wait 10 turns themselves too. Ethiopia denounces the Huns.

And now we're in 1200 AD with some things to discuss. A new social policy is coming up this turn to be chosen by next player. I suggest we go for Naval Tradition (+1 happiness for each Harbor, Seaport and Lighthouse), it's either that or open a new tree.

Then we have the question of the upcoming war with Suleiman. How soon should we join? Do we even want to join? Attila surprised me by attacking so soon because as I said, in my games they often wait the 10 turns with me. Maybe we have to be ready to declare as soon as possible to be able to grab something from the Ottomans? Or we sit back and take the Ottoman lands from Attila's hands later.

Here's our lands and the situation right now:
Spoiler :
Demographics:
Spoiler :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93001151/2015-03-03_00005.jpg

Attachments

• RSGDido_0180 AD-1200.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 64
Lots of interesting events.

Wow, really a lot, you have a diplomatic talent^^

The Great Wall is not built in Attila's Court. The two possible suspects would be Addis Ababa or Caesarea Maritima - the only other big cities Attila has got.

That's a surprise, I'm pretty sure that it's in Ceasarea Maritama, it's way too early wonder to build in captured city. With this info it totally makes sense to capture some Ottomans lands first...

I suggest to upgrade all possible frigs, build a privateer and wardec Ottomans then. Though probably just after upgrading frigs is fine, we'll spend some time bombarding everything around anyway:)

we're already at -8 happiness

Heh, even Circus Maximum wouldn't help it... So I think we should use a happiness policy in exploration tree.
Persepolis does not have a Colosseum. Do not annex the city before Circus Maximus is done.
Well, one can buy Colosseum, but I'm agree:)

Some of the unhappiness will go down if we annex Persepolis and get them a courthouse though. It's a too cultured city to keep as a puppet anyway so I would annex it as soon as the Circus Maximus is done (that's just one turn after the resistance ends so not a long wait) and get a Courthouse built.

Edit: And we'll know for sure that the wall is in Caesarea if we don't it see in Addis Abeba, because they couldn't possibly have it anywhere else than in one of those two cities.
Edit2: Also: buying a colosseum is an option, yes, but it doesn't feel worth it to me since resistance ends just 1 turn ahead of the Circus, and because of the fact that we need money to upgrade our navy very soon.

Caesarea Maritima was a Roman city. Since Attila borrows his city names from civilizations in the game, does that mean Augustus is waiting out there for us to meet?

Is Caesarea Maritima on the coast?

I agree with the happiness policy. I also like the idea of circus maximus.

Very good deployment of our navy. I would try to get two frigates on our west coast for national security purposes.

Let's hold off annexing Persepolis for a while until we can get a firm grasp on how it will affect our economy.

Here's the lineup:

Bugs
Polus <= Traveling. Skipped until return. When will we ever hear from him?
Teproc
Gurra <= :hammer: on Darius and was diplomat extraordinaire.
Eric <= UP gets to :hammer: on Suleiman
Menelann <= on deck

We can also make sure we have lighthouses and seaports in our cities for the happies.

Hehe, 31st city:)
Anyway, I believe we have 6 civ's now plus Darius and Boudica are down, that should be it..

Yeh, seaports and harbors are useful anyway, we can build them even in a capital with no fish..

By the way, Persepolis:
Spoiler :
we'll have +4 happiness in from Chichen Itza but I still prefer happiness to Rationalism opening.

Also about Persepolis, we can swap a great work of writing with Sweden so that we'll have +2 theming bonus in a Great Library once it'll be working. Or probably our Renaissance writer is to appear soon, I didn't check, it'll work too.

Edit. Alhambra with our mountain (is it Kilimanjaro?) is a nice combo^^ If we build a Brandenburg Gate there too, mmm....
Edit 2. We have 8 Lighthouses/Harbors around, sounds cool. Does our UA provides a Harbor in captured cities too? :o

Well, it says Harbor (FREE) right there in Persepolis, so I would assume we get a free Harbor in captured cities too.

Alhambra only gives a culture bonus to the actual city though, right? And Mt Kilimanjaro is in Utique.

Alhambra only gives a culture bonus to the actual city though, right? And Mt Kilimanjaro is in Utique.

It also gives a drill 1 promotion, so for example with Bradenburg Gate (or relevant Ideological tenet) and military academy you can build say x-com/paratroopers with double attack means they can capture city the same turn it paradrops^^

And mountain gives some bonuses for hills too:)

Let's hope this game is over by x-com fighters. Remember, now that we have a great general, our units can go over mountains.

Good news about the harbor/lighthouse happiness.

Now we just need Eric to check in.

And Teproc isn't around either:(
Yes. This SG is getting a little light on players. We have six listed members, but only three are consistently active. I'm thinking we might need to drop Polus off the active list if he doesn't show up again. If there are any lurkers out there who would like to play, please delurk and show yourself.

We'll give Eric until Tuesday to give us a "got it". Then Menelann can take it.

Top Bottom