Challenge-XVI-06

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but your best submission meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.003 <<
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Any (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Speed: Marathon
  • Map Type: Big and Small
  • Civ: Mali (Mansa Musa)
  • Opponents: Must include Celt (Brennus), Egypt (Hatshepsut), India (Asoka), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.003s
  • Date: 30th May to 25th November 2015
Must not play as Inca.
The highest score wins.

Time would actually be a designated VC

Sushi Domination game for sure

Its games like this that remind me why I don't like Marathon. Warfare is very easy but the game itself is so slow.

Conquered Izzy & Asoka very early with HA's and settled in to get sushi asap while continually settling cities.

It would have been much better to leave Asoka alive and kill Brennus, but that wasn't how they were located. As it was, that basically meant no tech trading the whole game because I couldn't get Hatty to friendly and Brennus was so backward.

After getting sushi the focus was on getting cavalry, for obvious reasons. Vassalled Brennus leaving him a tiny island and only had to give him a single city back to stay under the domination limit. From there I had 2 huge stacks of cavalry poised on Hatty's borders waiting for my score to stop ticking up.

When it finally did they marched in and took a couple of Hatty's cities but I forgot to vassalize her. This threw away an extra 11k in score.

Nice score neilmeister!

Not sure I can match it but I've got a good game going with double Gold and double Gems in my capital!! Brennus, Isabella and Asaoka are all dead and I've taken Thebes (which has Stonehenge, nice for border pops in all these island cities!) from Hatty, she has a couple of cities in the middle of the continent which will help prevent domination tripping but she has no access to the sea :)

Interesting you went with HAs, it's Prince and we're Mansa so I killed 3 AIs and hobbled the other one with Skirmishers :)

I didn't think about Skirmishers, I came straight from the AW challenge game where HA's were so effective. To be honest I forgot about them and only realised once I got Archery (which I got after HBR).

3 dead AI's and the last inland & isolated is the perfect setup, them taking up a lot more land than they would normally but leaving you to settle every single island and get every sushi resource on the map. I think you will cream my score if you play it right.

Especially as it is Hatty, I would make sure you spread every religion (and techs like drama) you get to her, as she will maximize her culture and help with the domination limit.

I wonder if BC religious boosted by Oracled Monarchy can be competitive here. Had snyone try? How much food one can get from Sushi on tiny map?

I wonder if BC religious boosted by Oracled Monarchy can be competitive here. Had snyone try? How much food one can get from Sushi on tiny map?

Tried, not competitive :] 200k+ points at first try, while first Sushi 450k.

-----------

2500+ city maintanace cost. Domination+Sushi at Tiny maps! I had to run 0% research and still was at negative!

-----------

One obvious tip just to remind. Collosus ASAP and avoid Astro (not needed at all on tiny big&small). 5 commerce seatiles during golden age = :worship:

Why wouldn't you go Pyramids + Oracle Currency or CS when every turn that you reach Sushi earlier is the greatest increase in highscore that you can get?

Because I am weak at counting points ;] Anyway, I had cities ca. 30 population, the problem is that most are continental = too few of them. Getting population early is not a problem, the problem is that it is impossible to pack enough cities to be competitive.

Well gift those cities away to settle more islands! Getting population early is a problem, it's the cardinal point of all games with really high scores. WastinTime scored 1.5M higher than me not because he had more cities (though he probably had too) , but because he had the same population I had, only hundreds of years earlier! There were other factors too, but it was mainly that he reached Sushi hundreds of years earlier than me, because of the various strategies and tactics he used. Read the writeups before trying, will save you a lot of time and probably get you a better result than you otherwise could even dream of. If you had 30 population cities, go for 40 ones next time.

no post here :]

What a disappointment :( So much time spent with that slow and painful Marathon speed and watched the domination limit almost every turn, gifted cities to stay below Dom and then tired from all the boring Exec spreading I forgot just once to check the limit. The inevitable happened: 3 cities popped borders at the same turn -> Domination win! :sad: Can't remember having had almost a heart attack and hitting my head on the desk from a WIN in civ4 :lol:

So, only 312250 score at 1100 AD and there was certainly room for a better result as I just had spread Sushi to less than half of my cities.

Only good thing is that it's the last day of the Challenge today and I have submitted this game on time at all. Not sure if I would have finished in time if I had finished the game the way I wanted. :)

Argh really frustrating but at least you got the game in in time, don't think mine will be!

For me it would be OK if the competition is extended so you can finish the game. After half a year a few days more or less don't matter in my opinion. Maybe it would be a different story if there would be a tight race and fight for the final ranking, but it has become quiet since months and it doesn't look that somebody is still playing for this challenge.

Hm, my game was accepted and published but didn't count towards the Challenge result (my Game 6 slot in the Challenge is empty). If someone from the HOF staff reads this maybe you can update the Challenge table? I was late, but still in time I believe (Nov 25th submission date). Doesn't change the ranking, but I was trying hard to hold the date, so it'd be nice to find the game in the table. :)

Top Bottom