For the Clan!: a Clan of Embers experience

Feyd Rautha

Prince
So I was recently intrigued by some of the mechanics of the Clan of Embers and thought I would give them the old college try. I was very pleased with the results.

In the end I discovered one big thing...

Warrens are amazing. Once I unlocked warrens I was able to REX like I've never REX'd before. I set up a western border across the landmass and exterminated everything to my east to give myself a lot of room. I then went to city states and started building. I ended with over 30 cities.

With all the land I had and the amazing production edge I could have gone for any victory I chose. Eventually I settled on a tower victory not only for the irony of a bunch of orcs dominating magical knowledge, but also because I was so untouchable it seemed like a great option.

What about your Orc stories?

Feyd Rautha,

The AI is so bad that you can already basically choose how you want to win.

Warrens are good to combine with Prophecy of Ragnarok to very quickly raise the AC counter.

Touche on the AI issues ;)

I just found this one to be even easier. One of my biggest problems when I'm playing is not keeping up troop numbers, worker numbers, and city settlements. Warrens solve all three of those problems while keeping my cities on task with building improvements.

Towards the end I started with the Prophecy of Ragnarok in my Heroic Epic city. I had the AC up to 50 when I built the last tower.

i just had a quite bad experience with the clan.

In my last high-to-low game, the last civ i ended up was the clan. They had quite a large territory (about 5 cities i think, which is a lot for a high-to-low last civ), but hadn't researched any economy tech yet. Even after getting rid of most of their expensive units by taking over my starting civ (who had some nice cultivated lands), i was still running in the red numbers with my research down at 10%. Even after teching up to education, festivals and RoK it was tough to keep any form of an economy going, which caused my demise as my #2 civ summoned basium, and declared on me about 10 turns later.

REXing is nice, but remember the economical impact >.<

The clan's problem is their worldspell. I about collapsed when I cast it in my last game also. What I eventually did though was declare war against the civ that was closest to the center of all the orcs I had just popped and then suicided every single one on their defenders. Sometimes in the past I've wiped out civilizations that way, but often I just set the guy back some defenders and improvements as I thin my ranks. Which is fine as well since it often knocks that player out of the running as he has to repeat all the improvement building and refresh his defenders.

Also, in my last game as the Clan I never left City States after researching it (which I did right after I got my economy techs).

I'm not that experienced, since I just discovered FfH a few weeks ago.
In my first game, I started random, prince, huge.

I did not try the world spell at once. I first reseached city states.
then, just after the world spell, I declared on the barbars and took barb. cities here and there with my new troops.
I lost some advantages (Rantine loosing it's main bonus), but after adjustement (economic), I did fine with that. I had a multicore civ.

Since I was in contact with every civ on map, I was able to trade tech, and generally speaking of keeping a nice tech lead. I had Sidar and Khazad asking to become vassals

And I agree about Warrens being awesome.

economy is the greatest problem for the orcs. using warrens you can overrun most AIs, you have to finance your units the normal way though. Especially if your supply lines are long this means that you have a lot of gold walking around, try to optimize this aspect.
city states, markets, rok etc are even more important as a clan leader imo.

Warrens are good in combination with RoK and Soldiers of Kilmorph to rush buildings in all those cities. And the gold from RoK with all those cities and temples is just awesome. Can use for even more rushing, unless you run slavery.

Warrens are good in combination with RoK and Soldiers of Kilmorph to rush buildings in all those cities. And the gold from RoK with all those cities and temples is just awesome. Can use for even more rushing, unless you run slavery.

Do you actually receive a net production profit that way?

I think you get half their hammer cost for 1. Don't forget you get some bonuses for training units from civics etc as well. Plus wealth in FfH is only 50% of the hammers, and rushing with gold costs like 3x the hammers.

Do you actually receive a net production profit that way?

With Warrens you can get more hammers out than you put in if you use civics that boost military production. Also you can get the production bonusses of forges and command posts which are in your established cities and the Soldier of Kilomorph transfers them to buildings in a newly built city, getting that off to a quick start. On marathon it is easy to get a hammer profit, the unit costs 180 hammers and gives 135 when sacrificed which is 3/4 of its base cost, instead of what happens on normal, where the unit costs 90 hammers and gives 45 when sacrificed.

Heroic Epic + Warrens + Soldiers of Kilmorph = :)

I'd actively avoid researching the tech that grants Paramanders because you do not want the Soldiers of Kilmorph going away.

Without any unit boosting bonuses, you get exactly the same number of hammers out of Soldiers of Kilmorph that you put into them when you have Warrens built. The biggest benefit outside of Heroic Epic is the ability to set two or more cities to build a building/Wonder the way that you used to do in Civ III and Alpha Centauri.

Top Bottom