Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Civrules

We the People
Civilization IV: Quick Answers

Hi everyone!

In this thread, feel free to ask basic questions about Civilization IV. This should make it easier for you guys to get answers quicker, and it should also separate discussion threads from more basic questions. :) With time, this will make it possible for us to put together an official Civilization IV FAQ article as well. If you aren't in a rush to post any questions, make sure to read through the available information, which is likely to answer a lot of questions itself.

Just post your questions here without worrying about if it's already covered somewhere else, and hopefully some of the experts will answer them.

I encourage everyone to participate here, answering questions they can. Thanks!

Why did it take so long to get this thread up? :mischief:

Birdjaguar said:
Why did it take so long to get this thread up? :mischief:

Sorry, my fault. ;)
Better a little late than never.

I see the pre-release info page. Is there going to be a post release info page that has the actual list of units, buildings, etc. with characteristics?

This would help temper the anticipation those of us living in Asia have since it hasn't been released here yet. :cry:

A'AbarachAmadan said:
I see the pre-release info page. Is there going to be a post release info page that has the actual list of units, buildings, etc. with characteristics?

This would help temper the anticipation those of us living in Asia have since it hasn't been released here yet. :cry:

Of course. I'm not abandoning it. However it will take some time for everything to get added in. It'll be renamed to the Info Center.

If you accept non-gameplay questions from someone that doesn't have the game... can anyone post a list of all the beta testers in the credits? I am curious. :)

Civrules: what you are saying is you're making an HTML version of the Civilopedia. :p

How may I choose the number of opponents before starting a game?

Ginger_Ale said:
If you accept non-gameplay questions from someone that doesn't have the game... can anyone post a list of all the beta testers in the credits? I am curious. :)

That's for you to figure out when you do get the game. :)

CivCube said:
How may I choose the number of opponents before starting a game?

Instead of "Play Now!" go to "Custom Game" and then if you want to reduce the number of AIs, open the drop-down menu at the left and "close" or if you want to increase it do the opposite. :)

Can I ask a system requirement question? If so I am curious: If I have a WinXP Pro system, with a Radeon 9550 video card (256 MB), 768 MB of RAM and a 2.4 Gigaherz Celeron CPU, will it run without any MAJOR difficulties on my computer? Just curious as I will be getting my hands on the game next week!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Can I ask a system requirement question? If so I am curious: If I have a WinXP Pro system, with a Radeon 9550 video card (256 MB), 768 MB of RAM and a 2.4 Gigaherz Celeron CPU, will it run without any MAJOR difficulties on my computer? Just curious as I will be getting my hands on the game next week!yours, Aussie_Lurker.
I am running a 1.2 MHz athalon on XP pro with 512 MB of ram I have a Xtasy 9550 (ATI Raedon 9550 seconday??). The game has run just fine up through the middle ages. I have not gone past that period yet.

Ok, GA. Here's all the testers in the credits:

Sirian
Friedrich
Isak
Rob
Notyoueither
CanuckSoldier
Vondrack
Nolan
Aeson
ColdFever
Chieftess
Gramphos
Thamis
danthrax
Solver
Rhye
Kal-El
Thunderfall
Dominae
Curtsibling
Sullla
Civrules
Onan
Dale
Ainwood
Locutus
Frank
Kring
DeepO
Pfeffersack
Islonian
Wolfsbane
Asterix
Warpstorm
Alva
Alski
Griselda
TheDohr
MarkG
Arrian
Bluminator
Wtiberon
Cyrene
Doc Tsiolkovski
Earl Harewood
WarningU2
bobT
Reptile
Dexters
Bsarsgard
Krill
Homegrown
Srayman
GBM
Asleepathewheel
Kemal
Maxfin
SirPartyMan
Loulong
Heroic
StrictlyRockers
Unimatrix_zero
Funkychicken
Trayk
Yoda Power
ME0003
MagicNo3
LotharBot
PeteT
Randy
Trinity
Clondike
DonaldKipper
Avogadro
Whiplash
Craigbob
Sparta
Swissy
Kaetsae
BYCCougar
DeathToAll

@Aussie, you should be fine. :)

First a question:

Can you abandon cities, and how?

I just finished my first game (on Prince). I won a domination victory around 1980AD. It was easy, though I admit that I got lucky with good placement at the begining. I was a Monarch player on Civ 3. So even though the guide says that experienced Civ players should start on Prince, I recommend that you start on the next level up.

Next some advice to newbies. Want to win? Play with Genghis Kahn. At least that is my initial observation. He has great traits (expansive and aggressive like the Zulu) and a solid early special unit.

Another question: I have a sub-par video card. The game works, but it is slow to calculate opponents' moves (esp in the endgame), and it it's slow to drag the view across the map. Also, it takes a long time to zoom the view out. I have it on lowest settings. My question: what improvements will I notice if I buy a card with, say, 128 RAM, shading and T&L?

I've got a question. Is there any way to add items to the BOTTOM of the build queue, or do they always end up at the top of the list? I've looked into the manual, and it says shift+click, but that still only adds to the top of the list. (the top being the next immediate thing to be built, the bottom being the last, of course).

This is really my only gripe gameplaywise...

fastspawn said:
How does one take a screenshot?
get what you want on the screen, press the print screen key, open MS paint or other similar program, and then paste.

Question 1: adding items to the build queue
Ctrl-click adds to the beginning.
Shift-Click adds things to the end of the queue
Alt-Click repeat builds

Question 2: Can you abandon a city?
There is currently no way (other than world builder) to abandon a city. but see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134455 for other options.

Question 3: How do I draw / label the map or use the layers and filters? (as seen in previews)
From http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134183
From the world map zoom out slowly... you'll see at a point the icons (ping / show tile / bare map / etc) change to layers ( strategy / units / religions / cultures / trade / resource ), you'll also notice that several "filters" appear on the left hand size of the screen.

Question 4: Can you can not build forests?
Certainly not - but tiles next to forests can spawn a forest. Supposedly this is more common if the tile is empty. (sorry, no thread link - maybe when search returns)

Question 5: From within the game, what do the various (ctl-o) Game > Options do?
It's a long list, but they're found in \Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_Misc1.xml or try http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134437

Now for some of my own: :)

Question 6: How do you assign a rally point to a city? ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134183 )

Question 7: Do build lists (ctl-#) which *include* *buildings* work for anyone? ( See http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133674 )

Remember... we're all in this together... at least until you cross my borders. :0

Does this game have a memory leak problem?

Sorry... missed the screenshot question:

Question 8: How do I take a screenshot?

Check \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini file. Look for:

; Allow Screenshots. May affect performance on some video cards
AllowScreenShots = 1

Press the "Prt Scr" button on your keyboard. Check your \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\ScreenShots folder. Upload and brag. ;)

nomikos said:
Sorry... missed the screenshot question:

Question 8: How do I take a screenshot?

Check \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini file. Look for:

; Allow Screenshots. May affect performance on some video cards
AllowScreenShots = 1

Press the "Prt Scr" button on your keyboard. Check your \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\ScreenShots folder. Upload and brag. ;)

Prt Scr copies the screenshot to your clipboard, convenient for quick pastes in the GIMP or Photoshop etc. without having to go find the folder :)

Both methods work in Windowed mode, as well, although PRTSCR will copy the entire desktop (meaning you have to crop a bit).

Top Bottom