Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I read Sisiutil's stragerty guide, Sulla Viv4 Walkthrough, and watch a bunch of Chris67132's video deity playthrough yet I still have couple question.
-Time management - I don't know how many city I should have or what I should be research at 1500bc-1000bc-Modern era. In Chris67132's video he always mention something about how he should 8 city by 850 bc or early Writing or something like that. I'm still inexperience and there are so much info that I don't know where I should begin. Thank

^^^this is not exactly a quick question/answer deal IMO. I suggest you post your question over on the Strategy & Tips forum, so that it receives more attention.

Ideally, post a save of a recent game so folks can get an idea of where your level is now. Screenshots help too.

Best way to learn is post a new game over there and play along while getting advice.

One more quick question if I may. Anybody know what advantages the AI has for each of the difficulty levels above Prince? I am currently at Prince and the AI gets a scout plus a small bump up (I believe around 10% but could be wrong) on commerce and hammer production. But I am not clear on any levels above that.

Also, any differences between BTS and Warlords as to the AI starting advantages?? I play both. Thanks in advance if somebody knows the answer.

One more quick question if I may. Anybody know what advantages the AI has for each of the difficulty levels above Prince? I am currently at Prince and the AI gets a scout plus a small bump up (I believe around 10% but could be wrong) on commerce and hammer production. But I am not clear on any levels above that.

Also, any differences between BTS and Warlords as to the AI starting advantages?? I play both. Thanks in advance if somebody knows the answer.

There is a pretty comprahensive list here. I cannot comment on differences in different versions.

On Marathon, how to approach Slavery?
I haven't played anything other than Normal for years, but now had a team MP game with a friend on Noble/Marathon. While the AI is very weak (I usually do well on Monarch if I have a semi-coherent plan but consistent micro is a problem and I do poorly on Emperor unless I get a good capital and don't get Shaka'd), the whipping felt completely off to me. When building units, the :mad: stacks up very quickly and takes forever to go away, but when building buildings, it's still a 5 pop whip after what feels like 1000 turns and I end up forgetting about it, working up my riverless cottages into villages and towns and if I notice I'm still building that thing and didn't chop it yet, not whipping and all.

So I wonder: Because of how unit costs scale, is slavery weaker on Marathon than Normal? Or do I just feel that way because my gut feeling is out of sync here?

Anger should be relatively the same based on the slower growth rate of your cities. One pop whipping cities on normal also racks up the anger really quickly.

I would say slavery is considerably stronger when building units, because you can do much more with an earlier military unit on Marathon because they have a longer window before becoming obsolete.

The issue on marathon is that the units are relatively cheaper--they only cost 2x the :hammers: whereas everything else is scaled 3x. So put 1 :hammers: into an axe, and it becomes a 1-pop whip. Whip anger by whipping units builds up quickly in ancient/classical times. It's easier to 2-pop whip ancient/classical units on normal than marathon.

But some of Choeimok's feelings about the relative weakness of slavery on marathon may be just being used to normal speed--whipping buildings is equally strong on marathon as normal. And whipping medieval and later units that are more easily 2-pop whipped is stronger, as some of them are still 2-pop whippable on marathon that would take 3 pop points on normal.

On Marathon, how to approach Slavery?
I haven't played anything other than Normal for years, but now had a team MP game with a friend on Noble/Marathon. While the AI is very weak (I usually do well on Monarch if I have a semi-coherent plan but consistent micro is a problem and I do poorly on Emperor unless I get a good capital and don't get Shaka'd), the whipping felt completely off to me. When building units, the :mad: stacks up very quickly and takes forever to go away, but when building buildings, it's still a 5 pop whip after what feels like 1000 turns and I end up forgetting about it, working up my riverless cottages into villages and towns and if I notice I'm still building that thing and didn't chop it yet, not whipping and all.

So I wonder: Because of how unit costs scale, is slavery weaker on Marathon than Normal? Or do I just feel that way because my gut feeling is out of sync here?

Playing one or two levels below your normal level with combined research with your teammate "Bro do you even need to whip?"

"if I notice I'm still building that thing and didn't chop it yet, not whipping and all."

Perhaps spending a few seconds more on directing your worker chops so they come due when you want them would lead to a happier more fun game than fretting over Whip micro-management. I too find that the long time-frame leads to more missed whips (it would be great if the alarm could be set to turns rather than time)

On the 2 pop whips suggestion. I find that horse archer units usually like a good 2 pop whip.

Bit of an urgent question, around the mechanics of Permanent Alliances:

If two AI's in a PA are working on a spaceship, which capital do I need to capture in order to recall it? Both? Or neither?

Also - how many AIs can be in a PA? I've never seen more than 2, but can 3 or more ally? I'm kind of worried about the 2 of them grabbing a third ally, who is on good terms with both.

Built space ships parts are projects, these are not located in any city. You have to destroy the civ to stop them.

Normally, you have to destroy or capture the AI's capital to destroy an already launched spaceship. Since two AIs are involved, I would think you need to destroy or capture both. Pick one, destroy or capture it. If you don't get an announcement that the spaceship is destroyed, go get the other capital.

In a recent game, I had two not allied AIs launch their spaceships. Since I was also seeking a space victory and not interested in more territory, I invaded one, destroyed the capital, made peace, and then did the same thing to the other one. Pick on the weaker AI first so destroying the first capital will not slow down going after the second one as much. If you don't have enough turns to do one after the other before the spaceship arrives at Alpha Centauri, you will have to try and take them out both at once. In that case you had better have a large enough military to do that!

I would guess you should capture whichever AIs turn it was when the spaceship launched.

Normally, you have to destroy or capture the AI's capital to destroy an already launched spaceship. Since two AIs are involved, I would think you need to destroy or capture both. Pick one, destroy or capture it. If you don't get an announcement that the spaceship is destroyed, go get the other capital.

In a recent game, I had two not allied AIs launch their spaceships. Since I was also seeking a space victory and not interested in more territory, I invaded one, destroyed the capital, made peace, and then did the same thing to the other one. Pick on the weaker AI first so destroying the first capital will not slow down going after the second one as much. If you don't have enough turns to do one after the other before the spaceship arrives at Alpha Centauri, you will have to try and take them out both at once. In that case you had better have a large enough military to do that!

If you don't have the military Muscle to cash your Civilisation's cheque Can you turn your Culture slider to 11 and pimp out your spys to win?

The only way to stop an already launched spaceship is to capture or destroy the Capital city. Nothing else will stop it. There is no espionage mission that will stop it.

If you can reach a culture, military, or diplomatic victory before the spaceship arrives at Alpha Centauri, then of course you win. However, you have to be able to do that in the number of turns left before the spaceship gets there. That's 10 turns on Normal, 30 on Marathon ( and probably 20 on Epic - although I won't swear to that since I don't play Epic ).

Quick Question:
Time Victory - isn't this suppose to be calculated by highest score by year 2050?
I never played with this setting before, enable it recently and suddenly in the year 1000AD game announces that some other AI has won the game with Time Victory.
Could someone elaborate?
thanks!

Time Victory is, as you say, the top score in 2050 AD. Are you sure that the 1000 AD victory was not one of the others? It would not be unusual for an AI to win a Religious/Diplomatic/Apostolic Palace victory at that time and seemingly out of the blue.

AD2050 is for unmodded BtS. But you can change the start year in the Global Defines file, how time passes in the GameSpeed file and the number of turns to be played in a Scenario file. So... it can happen in AD1000!

how to install the Russian license of Civ IV complete edition the only problem that I have Is that I lost the key to it so ill have to find nocd for it

You can install the BtS (Beyond the Sword) from the disk as it runs without a CD check
Many of the folks here prefer it to vanilla and most of the mods are now written for BtS

talking about nocd etc. is against the forum rules that you agreed to so you might want to edit your post. :nono:

There is a thread about installing the complete edition in the support forum that should help
Good luck and welcome to Civ Fanatics [party] :band: :cheers: [party]

Top Bottom