Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Civrules said:
....Here's all the testers in the credits:.....
Why were SirPleb, DaveMcW, Moonsinger et al not on The List.........3 of the strongest players in the World?! (Well.....the CFC World, anyways) :mischief:

Birdjaguar said:
get what you want on the screen, press the print screen key, open MS paint or other similar program, and then paste.

i noticed that there is a screenshot folder in my games/civ4 . therefore there must be a special screenshot key that one can use that will automatically save it in that folder.

I wanna use that instead of getting a bmp pic

edit* oops didn't read further entries. Ok will try that, why is the option to print screen not default?

further edit*: it allows screenshots, but it doesn't automatically save it to screenshots folder.

Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean by

it allows screenshots, but it doesn't automatically save it to screenshots folder.

When I press the prt-scr button on my keyboard, a file containing the screen shot is automatically created in the "Sid Meier's Civilization 4\ScreenShots" folder.

The naming convention is Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

You can even select what type of file to create by editing the following line in the CivilizationIV.ini

; Screenshot format (TGA,JPG,BMP)
ScreenShot Format = JPG

Hope this helps.

I have few questions what I have been wondering recently.

1. Can ships navigate on rivers?

2. Is there victory point scoring available (like in C3C)?

3. Is there treasure chest scoring available (like in AoD conquest)?

And if those features aren't avaible, I would like to know if it's possible to mod those in (I guess that the answer is YES ;) ).

nomikos said:
Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean by

When I press the prt-scr button on my keyboard, a file containing the screen shot is automatically created in the "Sid Meier's Civilization 4\ScreenShots" folder.

The naming convention is Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

You can even select what type of file to create by editing the following line in the CivilizationIV.ini

; Screenshot format (TGA,JPG,BMP)

ScreenShot Format = JPG

Hope this helps.

i have to copy and paste it into a bmp file and then transfer to screenshots

godotnut said:
First a question:

Can you abandon cities, and how?

I just finished my first game (on Prince). I won a domination victory around 1980AD. It was easy, though I admit that I got lucky with good placement at the begining. I was a Monarch player on Civ 3. So even though the guide says that experienced Civ players should start on Prince, I recommend that you start on the next level up.

Next some advice to newbies. Want to win? Play with Genghis Kahn. At least that is my initial observation. He has great traits (expansive and aggressive like the Zulu) and a solid early special unit.

Another question: I have a sub-par video card. The game works, but it is slow to calculate opponents' moves (esp in the endgame), and it it's slow to drag the view across the map. Also, it takes a long time to zoom the view out. I have it on lowest settings. My question: what improvements will I notice if I buy a card with, say, 128 RAM, shading and T&L?

Cities are now a “long-term” investment. ;)
Depends on how new that card is. I have a decent X700 (you can buy it for $120). The game runs perfectly on it.

Grohan said:
I have few questions what I have been wondering recently.

1. Can ships navigate on rivers?

2. Is there victory point scoring available (like in C3C)?

3. Is there treasure chest scoring available (like in AoD conquest)?

And if those features aren't avaible, I would like to know if it's possible to mod those in (I guess that the answer is YES ;) ).

1. No. Rivers are actually not tiles, they are in between tiles.
And you answered the question yourself for the last two. ;)

Here’s a few more people in the credits (just for Ginger_Ale): :p

Programming Group:
Jon Shafer (Trip)
Alex Mantzaris (alexman)

Scenario and Tutorial Designers:
Jon Shafer (Trip)
Martin "Isak" Isaksen
Wouter "Locutus" Snijders
Dale "Dale" Kent

Earth Maps/Greek World:
Gabrielle "Rhye" Trovato

Writers:
Michael Soracoe (Sulla)

Onsite 2K Games Testers:
Michael Soracoe (Sulla)

Play Session Leads:
Jesse "Friedrich Psitalon" Fletcher
Martin "Isak" Isaksen
Robert "Sirian" Thomas

AI & Gameplay Consultant:
Robert "Sirian" Thomas

Production Assistance:
Peter "PeteT" Triggs (Peter Triggs)
Rob "rob" Cheng
Vesselin "Civrules" Gueorguiev
Kai "ColdFever" Fiebach

Special Thanks:
Kai Fiebach (ColdFever)
Apolyton
Civ Fanatics

Is there any equivalent to the Civ3 military advisor's assessment of relative strength, i.e. you're average to Caesar, strong to Ghandi, etc.?

The military advisor does have a cool feature that lets you see a dotmap of all the AI units of a given type! That is probably a big improvement over Civ3 where you had to plant a spy to get this info -- just haven't analyzed if it's useful. Also it's incredibly cool that you can see the units inside a city.

The pregame info suggested that you could target your attack against a specific unit in the enemy stack. How exactly do you do that?

9. If the AI beats you to a wonder, is there any way to salvage the production? In my games it seems to just diasappear.

Question #9

Birdjaguar said:
If the AI beats you to a wonder, is there any way to salvage the production? In my games it seems to just diasappear.

You get credited back in gold a portion (anyone have the % of formula) of the production. This appears as a notification (white text on the upper left hand side of the screen). You may want to check the in-game log file to see if it's also listed there.

If we each number our questions (in one long sequence) we could use this to create a FAQ list more easily.

hi, three questions here (the most pressing currently:

10. Can I somehow from the City List screen (F1) jump to a specific city in the list to manage it or change production directly? Clicking anywhere in the table seems to do nothing and hitting "Return" just ends the turn even if this screen is up :(

I'd like to be able to view this list, sort by i.e. production and then set the city with the biggest production capacity to build this new wonder I just get

11. ist there some way to upgrade all units of a given type at once (If I do have the money)? The MilitaryAdvisor will show me where the units are in the world but - as with the city screen - I can't do anyting useful on that screen :(

12. You end a turn, the other civs make theirs, you get messages that enemies are spottet near city xyz and the little icon that you could click on and jump directy to the location. "Could" I say because right after giving those messages the game pops up a "research finished, select new ..." or "building finished, select new ..." popup. Or even a conversation with another civ. Once you have dealt with all that the Info where the enemy was spotted is gone and you have to search the map

Thanks nomikos, I edited in a #9 to my question post.

what is the best graphics card to get to civ 4 give the the least expensive middle and most expensive . so I know the range i will have to spend so I can play the game the way its supposed to be thanks

11. is there some way to upgrade all units of a given type at once (If I do have the money)? The MilitaryAdvisor will show me where the units are in the world but - as with the city screen - I can't do anyting useful on that screen

You can upgrade all units of a type by pressing <alt> when upgrading them. I believe they need to be in a city, but don't know if the city needs a barracks or not (all my cities have barracks :) )

12. You end a turn, the other civs make theirs, you get messages that enemies are spotted near city xyz and the little icon that you could click on and jump directly to the location. "Could" I say because right after giving those messages the game pops up a "research finished, select new ..." or "building finished, select new ..." popup. Or even a conversation with another civ. Once you have dealt with all that the Info where the enemy was spotted is gone and you have to search the map

In addition to the enemy sighted "bubble" you use also use either the military adviser (filtered to enemy units), or zoom out and use the units layer (filtered to enemy units) to find any incursions.

In my games finding an enemy unit it's only an issue when an enemy unit both enters and leaves my vision during the (computer's) same turn.

And if you haven't tried using the military (or the strategy/culture/trade/resource/religion overlays, see my post in thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134903 ) :)

Hope this helps. :)

Questoin about power plants...

Do they replace each other like in civ3? or are they cumulative... is there a benefit to having 3 gorge damn, coal plant, nuke plant all together?

Also, do hills provide any terrain bonuses?

Undertaker798 said:
Is all the hubbub about the bugs really worth worrying about?

Not sure. I'm one of the lucky ones. Have an ati card and it works fine except for being a bit sluggish. I'd be pretty bummed if it didn't work though. From what I've read, I'd cross my fingers when you install it. I know I did.

You end a turn, the other civs make theirs, you get messages that enemies are spotted near city xyz and the little icon that you could click on and jump directly to the location. "Could" I say because right after giving those messages the game pops up a "research finished, select new ..." or "building finished, select new ..." popup. Or even a conversation with another civ. Once you have dealt with all that the Info where the enemy was spotted is gone and you have to search the map

Or even easier than my previous two suggestions (military adviser and unit overlay), simply open the game log (ctl-tab) and click on the notification.

What are the formulas for

13. City Maintenance
14. Civics Upkeep
15. Inflation

16. Is there some effect of empire size/city number in either a) beaker output or b) tech costs [if so what is it?]

17. How are the value of trade routes determined

18. Formula/mechanism for generating war weariness?
19. Formula/mechanism for passive religion spread?

Krikkitone said:
17. How are the value of trade routes determined

1 gold for a route between two cities within your nation, and 2 gold for an international route. The total value of trade routes is also adjusted by the harbor improvement (+50%).

The number of routes you have varies depending on your civic options, wonders, and improvements.

Top Bottom