Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Is there a good writeup somewhere on the Apostolic Palace? I think I've gathered the gist of it, but I don't want to get gang banged or worst of all have someone win a religious victory through my ignorance.

Other than trying to achieve them first, and of course keep you from adding their territory to your Dominion, does the AI consciously try to interrupt your achieving victory conditions? For example does the AI care that I'm almost done with my spaceship (other than that they won't trade spaceship tech), or that I'm approaching a cultural victory?

I think it will usually (on BtS, which I'm assuming you have given that you are referring to the AP) try and destroy your capital if you launch your spaceship, given that you have several turns between launch and achievement of the space-race victory on BtS. If they destroy your capital before the ship reaches Alpha Centauri, then they win. So in that event AIs will tend to dogpile you if you launch and they spot a weak military. I've never had that problem (see below) but others I suspect have.

Other than that it depends; on lower difficulties I have never really had a problem as I am usually so far ahead that the AI never catches up, but on higher difficulties with more equality they at least try and win themselves, though I'm never sure whether or not they actually understand victory conditions 100%. Given that in one game Julius Caesar was slowly but surely spreading Rome across the map and I was effectively walled in between him and his vassals as Hatshepsut, I suspect by the time you get to Warlord and above they at least try to give you a run for your money.

Why do you loose technology? If your able to build Modern Armor, then with the next turn your not. What gives with that?

Why do you loose technology? If your able to build Modern Armor, then with the next turn your not. What gives with that?

I don't think you can lose technology. Maybe your city lost access to a required resource?

Sounds like you lost access to either oil or aluminum, both of which are required to build Modern Armor. You didn't lose a technology, you lost access to a required resource.

The new Civ 4 - Colonization, is a new independent game or a continuation of the Civ 4 games?

I see...
So we can't hope for new's civ...
Only a new game...
Maybe they offer some basics know-how for new civ's? n'est-ce pas ?

I've seen it written that in BtS a fighter can fly multiple interceptions per turn. Can you still have all your bombers attack at once, and if so can a fighter try to intercept more than one of them?

How do you download posted scenarios?

Follow the instructions in the seanario thread. If you want more specific answers say which seanario, though it may be better to ask in the seanario thread.

I've seen it written that in BtS a fighter can fly multiple interceptions per turn. Can you still have all your bombers attack at once, and if so can a fighter try to intercept more than one of them?

It's not very wise to send in a bunch of bombers when there are still fighters defending the ground troops. You will lose a lot of bombers that way. Maybe a whole bunch of bombers will finally defeat a single defending fighter, but bombers are far less capable when dogfighting than fighters. Send your fighters on bombing runs first in order to draw out the defending fighters into dogfights. Only when the fighters have been defeated, should you send in the bombers.

Fighters (and jet fighters) start with a 100% chance to intercept and when they get wounded in dogfights, the chance to intercept will drop relative to the remaining hitpoints of the fighters.

I see...
So we can't hope for new's civ...
Only a new game...
Maybe they offer some basics know-how for new civ's? n'est-ce pas ?
What it looks like is a stand-alone game using the Civ IV engine (in the way that Icewind Dale used the same engine as Baldur's Gate, just changing the storyline and making the game less dependent on story and more hack-and-slash, and Planescape - Torment used the same engine as well but had a radically different style of play based on a single character rather than a party of six - etc.etc.etc. until Black Isle moved on to Neverwinter Nights). Essentially what is posited is that the game is based on a static scenario where you are a European nation (The Netherlands, England, France or Spain) colonising the New World. There are new buildings and "upgrades" that don't resemble anything in Civ IV and seem to go beyond the standard Civ IV scenarios. So I guess it uses Civ IV mechanics to put together a new game with a more limited outlook.

Where might I find a printable (in sections) graphic of the latest Civ 4 tech tree?

I don't understand what you mean by sections but there's a tech tree image in the main page under the 'Tech Tree' link.

Anyway, I've got a question. Does war weariness go up to the same levels if you declare war within a certain timeframe? For example, I declare war on Germany and raze him to kingdom come. I wait for a couple of turns, there's no more war weariness and then decide to declare war on someone else.

If so, how many turns must you wait before war weariness becomes normal again?

Where might I find a printable (in sections) graphic of the latest Civ 4 tech tree?

Rockefella already presented a place where you can find such a tech tree. You can find another nice one here:

Civ4 Reference Charts

I don't understand what you mean by sections but there's a tech tree image in the main page under the 'Tech Tree' link.

Anyway, I've got a question. Does war weariness go up to the same levels if you declare war within a certain timeframe? For example, I declare war on Germany and raze him to kingdom come. I wait for a couple of turns, there's no more war weariness and then decide to declare war on someone else.

If so, how many turns must you wait before war weariness becomes normal again?

The war weariness against Germany won't have any influence on the war weariness in any other wars as long as you're not in war with Germany.

At the moment that you stop the war with Germany, the unhappiness caused by war weariness accumulated against this enemy will disappear immediately. However, once you redeclare war on Germany, a part of this war weariness will reappear and cause unhappiness again. The amount of war weariness that will reappear is dependant on the length of the period of peace. When you declare war on another civilization, then the war weariness points accumulated against Germany won't have any effect on the war weariness in this new war.

Do units with the city garrison promotion get the defence bonus in a fort?

They do since some of the later versions (BTS and such) of the game. They didn't get the defence bonus in the earlier versions (vanilla civ4 1.00). I don't remember when the bonus was added, I think in BTS. Attacking units with city raider promotions also benefit from those promotions when attacking a fort.

Can you build and/or operate a for in enemy territory? For example, if a Greek fort outside Sparta is hosting four bombers and a fleet of ships and I capture Sparta, pulling the fort into my cultural borders, will the Greeks still be able to use it as an airbase/harbor until my ground forces overrun it physically?

Can you make a transcontinental canal using forts?

Can you build and/or operate a for in enemy territory? For example, if a Greek fort outside Sparta is hosting four bombers and a fleet of ships and I capture Sparta, pulling the fort into my cultural borders, will the Greeks still be able to use it as an airbase/harbor until my ground forces overrun it physically?

The fort will only give its defence bonus to the civilization who has the majority of the culture in the forts tile. I guess the airplanes get transported to other friendly cities just like what normally happens when units get moved due to cultural expansion and closed borders. I never encountered this situation.

Can you make a transcontinental canal using forts?

You can normally only create short range canals with them. I guess they wanted to keep canals somewhat realistic. A fort only gives land access to ships when the fort is next to a water tile. So with just forts, you can get a sea-fort-fort-sea canal, but nothing more. That is still very useful though. You encounter these one or two tile wide stretches of land very regularly and when they're desert or ice, then no production is lost when you place a fort there instead of a normal tile improvement.

If you can use lakes and cities, then you can create longer passages, like this:

sea-fort-lake-lake-city-fort-lake-fort-sea

You can normally only create short range A fort only gives land access to ships when the fort is next to a water tile. So with just forts, you can get a sea-fort-fort-sea canal, but nothing more. That is still very useful though. You encounter these one or two tile wide stretches of land very regularly and when they're desert or ice, then no production is lost when you place a fort there instead of a normal tile improvement.

If you can use lakes and cities, then you can create longer passages, like this:
sea-fort-lake-lake-city-fort-lake-fort-sea
Can your chain of forts include diagonals, or do they have to be in rows and columns? I have a vague and possibly inaccurate memory of trying diagonals and having it not work.

Top Bottom