Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Oh, right. I thought you meant there was some research later on that lets you build them anywhere, or on any flatland or something like that.

cheers,
metal

1) Are Hollywood, Rock n' Roll and Broadway the only ways to get a Hit Movie/Song/Musical?

2) Are there any other ways to promote your units besides barracks/dry docks, Vassalage, Theocracy, West Point, Pentagon and fighting animals, barbarians and enemy units?

metalmidgit
You have to build you farms somewhere next to a river, oasis, or another farm(with CS) until you research Biology, but that's not until the late game.
Peter Principle
1) yes, unless you trade for them.(I think thier might be a random event that gives you 1 of those)
2) All of those are true, but their is one other way. If you get a Great General.

metalmidgit
You have to build you farms somewhere next to a river, oasis, or another farm(with CS) until you research Biology, but that's not until the late game.
Peter Principle
1) yes, unless you trade for them.(I think thier might be a random event that gives you 1 of those)
2) All of those are true, but their is one other way. If you get a Great General.

Thanks. Great Generals come in Warlords, right?

GooglyBoogly said:
2) You forgot Airport, and some Quests

Do airports do that with one of the expansions? I'm playing vanilla 1.61. What are quests?

sometimes you can get experience from goody huts too. haven't played anything but bts in a while but i'm pretty sure that airports give a certain amount of experience (to air units only) in vanilla

Dunno if something weird is happening here or I'm making a dumb mistake. I'm having trouble placing farms. Barely any of my tiles seem to eligible for farms, which is making growing my cities difficult. In the screenshot below, why can't I build a farm on that tile?

Is it because I need to be next to a river or oasis? I thought the tutorial said coast tiles were OK as well. I've also got civil service researched which "spreads irrigation." What exactly does that mean?

cheers,
metal

"initially"? What lets you build farms elsewhere?

Oh, right. I thought you meant there was some research later on that lets you build them anywhere, or on any flatland or something like that.

cheers,
metal

You can build farms on grassland, plains, floodplains and tundra tiles. For the tundra tiles there's another restriction that the tile needs to be adjacent to a fresh water source.

Before biology is invented, all farms need to be adjacent to fresh water. Fresh water sources include rivers, oasis, or fresh water lakes. Fresh water lakes are bodies of water of limited size (10 tiles max or something like that) and they can be easily identified by looking at the base food output of these water tiles. If the base food output of the water tiles (before the effects of the lighthouse improvement) is 2, then the water tile is a fresh water source. If the base food output of the water tile is 1, then the water tile is a sea tile and it's not a source of fresh water.
After civil service has been invented, irrigated farms (those with access to fresh water) also count as fresh water (although they're not the source of fresh water and won't allow irrigation of tundra tiles). This allows you to build chains of irrigated farms from a source of fresh water to a distant tile.

After biology has been invented, farms don't need to be connected to a source of fresh water. Non-irrigated tiles (those not connected to fresh water) will however have a food output 1 lower than irrigated tiles, so it's still very interesting to create chains of irrigated tiles. The great benefit of biology is that it increases the food output of irrigated farms by 1 compared to the pre-biology situation.

I'm an old member here and just wanted to see my date of joining here. I couldn't figure out any other way, sorry...*embarassed*

Btw, Is there a way to change my forum name? I was 19 at the time of registering as you can see and now I'm back almost 7 years later, playing CIV IV instead of CIV III or Alpha Centauri. I would like to change the whole name though, not just the number, thanks in advance.

You need to PM Thunderfall to change your name. IIRC he doesn't like to do it very often though.

Re: Irrigation. It seems like I've had situations where a city will or will not spread irrigation; is this civil service dependent as well?

a city center will spread irrigation if you have civil service and it is on flatland (or if the terrain could have a farm by itself, not sure which one)

Here's another quick question: I want to load a save from the forums that isn't using bug, but I want to use bug. Can I and if so, how?

Do you have a "BUG Mod" option when you choose "Load a mod"?

bug (and blue marble) load autmatically when I start the game... When I start a game loaded from a thread, it tells me something like "you need to restart w/o using bug"

Question: I'm playing Blue marble with the Cultural Diversity Mod. I REALLY like this combination, especially playing the 18 civ world map. BUT, I wish I could choose a different leader. I'm cool with the civs in the game, and their locations; I just want to know is there ANY way to choose a different civ leader?

I tried doing 'custom games' and 'custom scenarios', but then the map isn't available, or I can't change the civic leaders. The closest thing I can manage to do is change the leaders to random via 'Unrestricted Leaders'. =/

I'm not sure what you would like to do. Play with a ldeader and a different starting position on the earth map ? Also, I know blue marble is only graphics, but what about the other mod ?

:confused:plz help im bored and i want to download a mod the problem is that i only have the civ 4 game itself no expansions and i cant find a single mod that does not require an expansion. could u plz help somehow tell me where to find a bunch just something?!:confused:

you could try fall from heaven, or rhye's and fall... search a little bit more, there are mods working for vanilla on this website.

Top Bottom