Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I have a question about this screenshot. I built that workboat at the beggining of the game to explore. I noticed later that it was a *long* way from home.:eek: What happened to the "no workboats on ocean tiles" rule?!?:confused:

Attachments

• Ocean Workboat.JPG
    Ocean Workboat.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 93
so it's a really nooby question. Firstly, with both expansion packs installed I now have 3 icons for the games on my desktop. If I want to play with both packs included which do I click on? CIV4, Warlords or BTS. Also, I've installed the patches, how do I know that they've all installed correctly, when I check the build on BTS it has 3 numbers...3.17 then 301 then 3.1.3.1. :)

so it's a really nooby question. Firstly, with both expansion packs installed I now have 3 icons for the games on my desktop. If I want to play with both packs included which do I click on? CIV4, Warlords or BTS. Also, I've installed the patches, how do I know that they've all installed correctly, when I check the build on BTS it has 3 numbers...3.17 then 301 then 3.1.3.1. :)

your BtS is patched correctly - don't ask why those numbers where chosen by the powers that be though - I am not sure any living soul knows :evil:
as for your other question: just use BtS - it includes all the warlords additions as well as its own. You really only need warlords to play the scenarios it comes with :)

Workboats changed either in BTS itself or one of the BTS patches and can now enter oceans once you learn Astronomy. It should be listed as such in the Civilopedia.

Thanks. I never thought to check the Civiopedia.

How many people does a size 15 city have, like, in millions? And all other sizes? I just couldn't find it.

Just hover over the city name in the city screen (either that or the size number). It will tell you the population.

-----------------
N.B. A size 1 is 1,000 pop, and stays at 1,000 pop right until it becomes size 2. Which is incredibly lazy programming, surprised no-one ever modded this bit, as it can be based on how full the granary is, plus a small random factor. Trivial and unimportant to game play, but would add a little more realism.

N.B. A size 1 is 1,000 pop, and stays at 1,000 pop right until it becomes size 2. Which is incredibly lazy programming, surprised no-one ever modded this bit, as it can be based on how full the granary is, plus a small random factor. Trivial and unimportant to game play, but would add a little more realism.
That's actually a pretty decent idea. I wonder if they'll do that in Civ5...

Just hover over the city name in the city screen (either that or the size number). It will tell you the population.

-----------------

Is it in thousands?
I mean, when it says my empire has one/two/five/ten/twenty/fifty/a hundred million souls, i just wonder how does the computer check it.

lets see ... ran the numbers i had at hand (from size 1 to size 11) and as far as i can see it runs something like thats approx towards a Power Regression on y=940,848x^2,82618

might get a smoother number when i get higher sizes :) ... maybe dropping size 1 out of the calculation as well would get a closer number

Is it in thousands?
I mean, when it says my empire has one/two/five/ten/twenty/fifty/a hundred million souls, i just wonder how does the computer check it.

I take it you mean in the statistics screen? If so, it just adds the pops in the city screen. e.g. you have 2 size 12 cities both of which have 1,500,000 (a guess without checking in game) people in them. Therefore your total empire pop is 3,000,000 people.

Maybe you didn't quite understand my earlier reply (not sure). Just go into the city screen, hold the mouse over the city name and you get the pop and date of founding:-

In my fledgling Portuguese empire I had 6 cities of pops 150,21,48,48,6,1 (all in thousands). Adding them together and you get your total pop in statistics/demographics screen:-

-------------
Maybe it should add in your military which doesn't seem to exist for population purposes (lazy again? ;))

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0152.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0152.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Civ4ScreenShot0153.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0153.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 209
Then you will get on well with Rolo - welcome to CFC!

When the "March" promotion says "can heal while moving," does that mean that it will heal itself while it is moving, or that the "medic" promotion will heal other units while the stack is moving?

When the "March" promotion says "can heal while moving," does that mean that it will heal itself while it is moving, or that the "medic" promotion will heal other units while the stack is moving?

The former. Units without march need to not move to heal AND be in the presence of a medic.

lets see ... ran the numbers i had at hand (from size 1 to size 11) and as far as i can see it runs something like thats approx towards a Power Regression on y=940,848x^2,82618

might get a smoother number when i get higher sizes :) ... maybe dropping size 1 out of the calculation as well would get a closer number
The actual function used is:
Code:
long CvCity::getRealPopulation() const
{
	return (((long)(pow((float)getPopulation(), 2.8f))) * 1000);
}
Which, in more human-readable terms, means 1000 * RoundDown(PopNumber ^ 2.8).

Units without march need to not move to heal AND be in the presence of a medic.
Actually, it's not necessary for units without march to be in the presence of a medic to heal. Any unit will heal by itself if left to not move for a turn. I'm sure you're aware of this; I'm just clarifying for the sake of other people, since the above quote seems to imply that you need a medic to do any healing at all. ;)

Actually, it's not necessary for units without march to be in the presence of a medic to heal. Any unit will heal by itself if left to not move for a turn. I'm sure you're aware of this; I'm just clarifying for the sake of other people, since the above quote seems to imply that you need a medic to do any healing at all. ;)

Ha, yep you're completely right, bad phrasing on my part..... :spank:

(As you can see Im addicted to these little yellow guys atm) :pat:

Top Bottom