Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Really quick question, two actually.

1. When another Civ has vassal states and you trade techs with one of the vassals, does the other Civ get it too?

2. How do I upload a game save?

1. Only if the vassal trades it again.
2. The go advanced button to manage attachments. Browse then upload and post.

Really quick question, two actually.

1. When another Civ has vassal states and you trade techs with one of the vassals, does the other Civ get it too?

2. How do I upload a game save?

You can use the "no tech brokering" option in custom games options. This means that only a civ that researched the tech themselves can trade it.

E.g. I trade Optics (reasearched myself) to Egypt for Music. If Egypt has vassals, they won't be able to give Optics to their vassals (who then again would likely trade it with other civs). Likewise, I have no option to trade music with any other civs, as I acquired it through a trade.

Personally, I find this option essential, if you play a large/huge map with many civs, and vassal state option turned on.

Here I go again with the same question I never really got a straight answer to,maybe I am in the wrong place or didn't clearly state the answer so...here goes.
After downloading Civ 4 I see I now have a file called 2K games ,so I open it and then see Firaxis games, so I open that then I see Sid Meiers Civ Gold...ok ,so I open that wich opens to MODS ,so I open that,here is where I get weirded out,in this I have files that read-American Revolution-Desert War-Greek World-TuTorial.I have managed to get American Revolution up and running(I forget how) and when it started it begins with one unit,a Musket dude and every other civ that starts too has one muskey guy,there are French,British,Colonial and Indian.It looks like it would be fun but if you do not find & open a hut with a settler you do not build a city,see? So what are these mods? Are these prototypes?Test mods? What?

Thank you for you time and patience.

~ HOG

Here I go again with the same question I never really got a straight answer to,maybe I am in the wrong place or didn't clearly state the answer so...here goes.
After downloading Civ 4 I see I now have a file called 2K games ,so I open it and then see Firaxis games, so I open that then I see Sid Meiers Civ Gold...ok ,so I open that wich opens to MODS ,so I open that,here is where I get weirded out,in this I have files that read-American Revolution-Desert War-Greek World-TuTorial.I have managed to get American Revolution up and running(I forget how) and when it started it begins with one unit,a Musket dude and every other civ that starts too has one muskey guy,there are French,British,Colonial and Indian.It looks like it would be fun but if you do not find & open a hut with a settler you do not build a city,see? So what are these mods? Are these prototypes?Test mods? What?

Thank you for you time and patience.

~ HOG

This is a weird incomprehensible story. You actually don't even exactly know how you started the buggy mod that you describe. So it's hard to help you.

First of all, you must be speaking about folders instead of files when you describe the process of reaching the American Revolution mod and such through 2K games -> Firaxis games -> Sid Meiers Civ Gold -> MODS. However mods shouldn't be started by opening some file in some subfolder of the game. That's not the designated way to start them and I actually don't even know of such a way to start some weird version of the game. Maybe you actually started the mod in another way, but then I have misunderstood your description.

The way mods of civ4 should be started (or at least one of the ways):

The various mods of civ4 are mods of vanilla civ4, civ4 Warlords or civ4 Beyond the Sword. When you start one of these versions of the game, then you can start the mods belonging to these versions of the game. When you're in the main menu of the game, then you can select the option Advanced, followed by Load a Mod which opens a screen with various mods. When one of these is selected, the game will restart with the new rule-set of this mod loaded. When you start a game from this position, it will be a game with the rules of the mod instead of the standard rule-set. If the mod doesn't function correctly, then there's probably something wrong with the installation of the game.

So....Do you know what mods Im talking about.Has anyone ever heard of these mods or seen them or made them work yo.This would seem like a simple thing to ask.

This is a weird incomprehensible story. You actually don't even exactly know how you started the buggy mod that you describe. So it's hard to help you.

First of all, you must be speaking about folders instead of files when you describe the process of reaching the American Revolution mod and such through 2K games -> Firaxis games -> Sid Meiers Civ Gold -> MODS. However mods shouldn't be started by opening some file in some subfolder of the game. That's not the designated way to start them and I actually don't even know of such a way to start some weird version of the game. Maybe you actually started the mod in another way, but then I have misunderstood your description.

The way mods of civ4 should be started (or at least one of the ways):

The various mods of civ4 are mods of vanilla civ4, civ4 Warlords or civ4 Beyond the Sword. When you start one of these versions of the game, then you can start the mods belonging to these versions of the game. When you're in the main menu of the game, then you can select the option Advanced, followed by Load a Mod which opens a screen with various mods. When one of these is selected, the game will restart with the new rule-set of this mod loaded. When you start a game from this position, it will be a game with the rules of the mod instead of the standard rule-set. If the mod doesn't function correctly, then there's probably something wrong with the installation of the game.

How do you place Landmarks on tiles, without using the World Builder? The little text bubbles above a tile that you can write info in, such as where to put a city, Good choke points, ect.

How do you place Landmarks on tiles, without using the World Builder? The little text bubbles above a tile that you can write info in, such as where to put a city, Good choke points, ect.

Zoom the map all the way out using the mouse scroller (so that you can't select units or cities). There should be series of little buttons on the lower right of the screen; one of them has on it what appears to be a square outlined in bright red-pink lying in one-point perspective. Click that one and you'll have options for adding things like signs and lines to the map.

So....Do you know what mods Im talking about.Has anyone ever heard of these mods or seen them or made them work yo.This would seem like a simple thing to ask.

Yes, they're mods that have been shipped with the vanilla version of the game (the one without expansion packs) and should be started in the way that I described in my previous post. Since they're part of the original, vanilla game, they are available when you start the original game without expansion packs. They're not available in warlords or BTS since they're mods based on the original game, not one of these expansions. The original game (without expansions) should still be available when you have the gold version of the game. Start the original game (without expansions), choose advanced in the main menu, choose Load a mod in the next menu and then pick the mod. The game should restart and the modded game should load. When you re-enter the menu and start a game from this mod, it should behave according to the mod's rules.

Alt + S then click where you want to put the sign. Another Alt+S and click to get rid of it once it's done.

Why is the quote for Sputnik "Beep . . . beep . . . beep . . . beep"? [Civ relevancy]

It's not just a random robot noise. It's because the Soviets wanted to prove that they'd orbited the globe, so they put a transmitter in Sputnik. They thought the US gov't would deny the USSR's achievement, but amateur radio operators would confirm it. [How's that for a "quick answer"?]

I just saw that on Public TV and wanted to share.

That is it,the answer that I need.You are the man,TY!

Yes, they're mods that have been shipped with the vanilla version of the game (the one without expansion packs) and should be started in the way that I described in my previous post. Since they're part of the original, vanilla game, they are available when you start the original game without expansion packs. They're not available in warlords or BTS since they're mods based on the original game, not one of these expansions. The original game (without expansions) should still be available when you have the gold version of the game. Start the original game (without expansions), choose advanced in the main menu, choose Load a mod in the next menu and then pick the mod. The game should restart and the modded game should load. When you re-enter the menu and start a game from this mod, it should behave according to the mod's rules.

What would be the advantages of being the founder of a 2nd or 3rd religion? Any particular reason I would want to do this?

Not really unless you have GP's to burn on extra shrines. Or you could try an AP win like TheMeInTeam did in his AP Gauntlet things by switching into your personal religion the turn before you build the AP.

What about having more than one religion in a city? Any sort of advantage to that? All I can see is that you can build more than one temple/cathedral in a city, and if you have the free religion civic. Anything else I'm missing?

Not much. The religious buildings (you forgot monasteries btw) and extra :). There's a small amount of :culture: too I think. And shrine income if you have one.

Other than that just the ability to switch state religions for diplo purposes.

What would be the advantages of being the founder of a 2nd or 3rd religion? Any particular reason I would want to do this?
Not really unless you have GP's to burn on extra shrines. Or you could try an AP win like TheMeInTeam did in his AP Gauntlet things by switching into your personal religion the turn before you build the AP.
Alternatively, you could found additional religions to deny them to the AI, especially ones having or about to have Great Prophets. Of course, this is an extraordinarily inefficient way of hurting your enemies (compared to just building up an army and blitzing them). But if you're going to need a particular religious tech soon anyway, it doesn't hurt to put a little extra effort into getting it first, to deny the use of that religion to another AI. Note that it's often not a good idea to deliberately aim to get all the religions, however - because if you miss even a single one, then a large part of the world will inevitably become followers of that one religion, which does not yield a very good diplomatic situation for you!

What about having more than one religion in a city? Any sort of advantage to that? All I can see is that you can build more than one temple/cathedral in a city, and if you have the free religion civic. Anything else I'm missing?
Not much. The religious buildings (you forgot monasteries btw) and extra :). There's a small amount of :culture: too I think. And shrine income if you have one.

Other than that just the ability to switch state religions for diplo purposes.
Cities with multiple shrines are particularly useful for the Wall Street wonder. Aside from that, I personally don't find a lot of point to spreading non-state religions around - it's a lot of effort for very little gain. For me, the best option is to decide in the early game which religion looks to be the optimum choice for my situation, and to stick with it throughout the game. I'll only build missionaries of that religion, except in exceptional circumstances where I have a very high science city that could do with extra Monasteries - or where I need extra happiness in a particular city and can't get it any other way except from Temples.

Top Bottom