Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thoughts??

1S, 1W from iron - A decent production site. Wheat and 2 flood plains so it could work those mines. Saladin is rather close to this spot. Later a filler city can be built to grab the sheep and the last flood plain. I would even let them overlap a bit so I could micromanage them better.

1S, 2E from iron - Hybrid city. I'm just a little concerned about production. I guess spot would be more useful as a cottage-city. Another city could be placed 1S of the wheat to get a coastal city.

And as you mentioned, 2S, 1E looks really nice.

If this was my game, I would settle 1S, 1W and backfill later. Maintentance costs would be skyhigh though, so I don't know if it's worth it.

2 questions when does the AI become part of my trade network? I have the little arrow symbol by two out of 7 AIs, one of which I have open borders with and one not - I am connect to neither by Road and one of them doesn't appear to have a coastal city.

And when can I trade resources with the AI? Is there a tech I need to enable it?

Thanks'

You need to see a route from your capital to one of their cities or they need to see a route from their capital to one of your cities. A route consists of roads, rivers and coastal tiles (after sailing in BTS, always in earlier versions of the game), sea tiles (after astronomy) and cities with airports.

You need to explore more and build roads at the necessary spots to create the trade network.

Hello

Is there anyway to mobilize for war?, like in civ3, i cant find the option, if there is one.

And is there anyway to get out of the UN, i don't like being in it.

Thanks

Hello

Is there anyway to mobilize for war?, like in civ3, i cant find the option, if there is one.

And is there anyway to get out of the UN, i don't like being in it.

Thanks

No and No. The closest thing you can do to 'mobilise' for war is to use either the Nationalism Civic and Draft and/or the slavery civic and whip out units.

No, there is no way to get out of the UN completely, short of razing the wonder to the ground. If you defy a UN resolution you will get an unhappiness penalty in all of your cities for a limited ammount of time (and you will be demoted to a voting member)

I'm playing Lincoln on a Fractal Map - I'm on the right - Saladin is on the left. My quetion is where to settle??

I just completed Iron Working, so obviously somewhere near the iron. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts about which square....

2nd question...

Without the Iron, where is best? I was puzzling over that when the iron came in. South is a lot of desert, but two nice food tiles and stone.

I can get all of those in my fat cross if I settle 2 S - 1E of the iron, BUT that kind means I Will have to overlap IF I want to settle on the N or S coast as well....

Thoughts??

I'd settle on the southeastern adjacent tile

You can indeed play independently Vanilla Civ4, Warlords, and BTS. However, Warlords include all the contents of Vanilla Civ4, and BTS include all of warlords (scenarios excluded); so no worry about that. If you are new, I would advise you to begin with warlords (which ad some contents to Civ4 but is not dramatically different), and then when you feel more comfortable about the game, go with BTS.

I'm currently playing a borrowed version of the game but thinking about buying a copy for myself. If I do, does this mean I can get -everything- possible by only buying Vanilla Civ IV + BTS?

not everything. As I said, you will not be able to play warlords scenarios, nor Warlords specific stuff (mods and saves); but considering that most of the people play BTS now, the second point is quite minor, as is the first considering the mass of mods existing for BTS now.

You'll be able to get everything important by buying Civ4 + BTS only. The Warlords specific scenarios were ok but not worth however much money they want for it.

You need to see a route from your capital to one of their cities or they need to see a route from their capital to one of your cities. A route consists of roads, rivers and coastal tiles (after sailing in BTS, always in earlier versions of the game), sea tiles (after astronomy) and cities with airports.

You need to explore more and build roads at the necessary spots to create the trade network.

OK Thanks. So I don't need open borders to trade resources - this is only for the trade routes then?

Can my workers build roads outsdie my cultural boundaries?

There is something strange going on then, as I just entered World Builder to have a look, and I don't have open borders with Ghandi, no physical links to him and he has no coastal cities, yet I have a trade network with him.

There are other Civs with coastal cities further away (not seperated by ocean), but these are not part of my trade network.

you can build roads outside your borders :)

hmm ... does he have rivers? ... rivers count the same way as coasts for trade routes (simplification but true)

you can build roads outside your borders :)

hmm ... does he have rivers? ... rivers count the same way as coasts for trade routes (simplification but true)

Ah maybe that's it then. It's the two closest civs that I have trade routes with - why don't I have the little trade route symbol for the coastal civs that I met that are further away? Does it take longer to establish a trade network with those?

Thanks for your answers

I have a question, HOW do you load missles onto the crusiers? I have tried everything and they will not go.

Ah maybe that's it then. It's the two closest civs that I have trade routes with - why don't I have the little trade route symbol for the coastal civs that I met that are further away? Does it take longer to establish a trade network with those?

Thanks for your answers

wierdly, the trade route symbol just appeared for all the remaining civs. Nothing changed (no new techs etc). Maybe some kind of bug?

I have a question, HOW do you load missles onto the crusiers? I have tried everything and they will not go.

1) Move the missile and the missile cruiser into the same city, select the missile and press the load button.

Essentially, it's the same as (one of the ways of) loading land units onto a transport ship.

wierdly, the trade route symbol just appeared for all the remaining civs. Nothing changed (no new techs etc). Maybe some kind of bug?

Note that my first post already mentioned the rivers that were repeated by Sian. The post also mentions that the route must be seen, it must be visible to you or the other civilisation. If the tiles haven't been explored by you or the other civilisation, then you can't trade.

Routes between you and another civilisation can come into existence in complicated ways. If you can trade directly with civilisation A by a capital-road-river-road-coastal tiles-river-capital connection and civilisation B can trade with civilisation A by a capital-road-river-road-capital connection, then there exists a route between you and civilisation B. If civilisation B then explores this lengthy connection between you and civilisation B, then you'll be able to trade resources. Exploring a single tile somewhere far away from you can be the last step in uncovering this route.
Also building a single road tile somewhere far away from you can finish the connection while you don't notice any changes in your territory.

A single connection far away from your territory can connect two formerly disjoint trade networks connecting several civilisations in a single turn.

1)

Note that my first post already mentioned the rivers that were repeated by Sian. The post also mentions that the route must be seen, it must be visible to you or the other civilisation. If the tiles haven't been explored by you or the other civilisation, then you can't trade.

QUOTE]

That must be it - I had a couple of scouts on auto explore - they must have uncovered the invisible squares. Good answer, thanks.

Damn, I'm a newbie, but I love the depth to this game!

Damn, I'm a newbie, but I love the depth to this game!

I always love the period when I'm learning an exciting deep new game, so I'm jealous that you can still experience this for Civ4. :)

Thanks for the answeres to my earlier question.

I've got a couple more thoughts this week....

I've been getting bored lately - especially in the mid-to-late part of the game. I'm thinking that maybe this is a sign I should move up a difficulty level. I used to play vanilla @ noble and usually win. Then I moved to BtS and got killed, so cut back to Warlord. Now, I win easily at Warlord - usually playing the americans or english. Thoughts??

Second question... How does experince play into how the game picks units to fight?? I've been micro-managing this a bit lately... Lets say you havve 4 riflemen attacking two axemen. They have experience of 16/17, 15/17, 9/10 and 5/10. Should I play the 16/17 & 9/10 so they get a promotion??

How does the game pick them??

Thanks!

I've been getting bored lately - especially in the mid-to-late part of the game. I'm thinking that maybe this is a sign I should move up a difficulty level. I used to play vanilla @ noble and usually win. Then I moved to BtS and got killed, so cut back to Warlord. Now, I win easily at Warlord - usually playing the americans or english. Thoughts??

Vary a bit with map types and civilisations. I like the more random unpredictable map types and pick random civilisations. Play the map that you get, even if it is bad. It's an interesting experience to play with a hard map All these things keep the experience more new.

If you know that you're going to win the game when you start the game, it removes some of the fun. It removes the reward of accomplishment. How far you wish to go with challenging yourself depends a bit on your personality.

Second question... How does experince play into how the game picks units to fight?? I've been micro-managing this a bit lately... Lets say you havve 4 riflemen attacking two axemen. They have experience of 16/17, 15/17, 9/10 and 5/10. Should I play the 16/17 & 9/10 so they get a promotion??

How does the game pick them??

Thanks!

If you attack with a stack, the game picks the unit which has the highest chance of victory and that is very dependent on the exact promotions which were chosen. When there are units present with the same promotions, I think it goes for the most experienced unit, but I'm not sure as I never use stack attack.

If you pick the fights yourself (which is advisable), then you want to try to cut your losses while getting more experienced troops so that you'll be able to suffer fewer losses in the future. So attacking with a unit that is about to get a promotion is a good idea when you'd expect to win the battle. Sacrificing a highly experienced unit in a low odds battle is usually a bad idea. A less experienced can often weaken the enemy to such an extent that your next unit has good odds to win.
Use collateral damage to improve the odds against large stacks of strong units.

Top Bottom