Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

ah thank you that is very helpfull :D

A newb question here... If you are using castles how do you figure the cost vs the potential for an extra trade route? I'm playing Rise of Mankind mod, if that makes any difference and I don't know how the game figures a 10% fee for the castle.

Thanks!

Ok, I figured it out. If you look closely at the city screen it actually tells you what your city maintenance is - a total of distance from capitol added to the amount for the number of cities. All the various modifiers are applied to this number as percents. For example, if your civic is -25% and you add a castle at +10% modification, it is applied to that total as -15%. Very simple - my friends thought the castle's 10% was going to modify something like the total of the trade routes and be very expensive. Glad to see that's no so. :)

In the city view, can the potential production/food shown on un-utilised tiles be turned off so they show only the terrain?

I just started playing Beyond the Sword and I got a quest that told me I needed to build an army of 10 Swordmen and I would get some kind of reward. I did this, and my army is built, and nothing is happening. Am I missing something? I didn't see anything in the event log about anyone else getting it done first.

Hmm, I don't recall, I guess I wasn't paying attention to that. What kind of reward do they offer?

Hmm, I don't recall, I guess I wasn't paying attention to that. What kind of reward do they offer?

I believe this particular one offers free CR I for your swords or free drill I for melee units if you're running hereditary rule. Most of the build X number of units quests have pretty decent rewards but the settle X landmasses hurt far more than help.

Thanks.

While I'm at it, sometimes when I want to build a farm the worker has the farm icon available on his action bar but it's blacked out. Usually when this happens with other improvements it will say in red "Requires X". But with farms, sometimes it says nothing at all. When this happens, what is the requirement in order for me to be able to build a farm on that square?

You either need the tech "civil service" or "biology" or to be next to a river or lake.

Before Civil Service, you need to be on a farmable resource (like corn) or next to a fresh water source (the tile will say "fresh water").
After Civil Service, you can also be next to a previously farmed tile.
After Biology, you can farm anywhere if you are on a terrain type that allows it.

After Biology, you can farm anywhere if you are on a terrain type that allows it.
Unirrigated farms don't get the +1 food biology bonus though. So it's usually more worth it to make sure any farm you built is irrigated (chained to water by farms)

Hi. Civ 4 has Mali in it, right? I'm making a scenario for Civ 3 and want to include Mali in it, so I was wondering if someone who has Civ 4 could help me because I don't have that game. What I need is all the stats of the Mali civ, like it's traits, great leaders, city list, everything! I've been searching both this forum and on Google, but haven't been able to find the info.

I think there is a thread somewhere with city lists in it.

Mali has Mansa Musa as leader, Spiritual (no anarchy) and Financial (+1 commerce from tiles with 2+ commerce already). His UB is a forge which also adds +10% commerce. His UU is a str4 (rather than 3) archer that loks like a javelin thrower.

He is a massive tech whore and will trade techs with anyone ;)

What does the "game speed" option do? When I used it, I didn't notice any difference between this game and a standard hotseat game.

and what does gold do anyways? I'v gone through all my games without using gold even once.

gold is a luxury resource. gives happiness if you have it. also a mine on top of a gold tile gives more production than a normal mine.

game speed changes the number of turns per "year". so if the game runs from 4000BC to, say, 2050 AD and it takes say 300 turns. then changing the game speed will either increase or decrease the number of turns. So it allows you more or less find-grained control over your empire. Each turn you might produce less wealth, production, or research less than on a normal game speed, but it balances out with how many actual years pass during those turns.

If you meant gold as in money, :gold: is used to fund deficit research, pay maintenance, and to upgrade troops. It's also used in diplomacy.

Different game speeds, in addition to changing the number of turns, modify the amount of beakers or hammers needed to build something. Epic costs 1.5 times as much, Marathon costs 3X as much with the exception of units which cost 2X. I believe quick is .66X for everything but I'm not sure on that.

Top Bottom