Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Do first strikes work on defense as well as offense?
Yes. First strikes always work unless (a) the opposing unit has more first strikes than your unit or (b) the opposing unit has immunity to first strikes. :)

I'm looking at buying a laptop with a memory card "256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650". Does that comply with the minimal graphic requirements ? I'm sure there's a better place to ask this, so don't hesitate to point me to somewhere else. Thanks !

Hello all. Ihave some angry citizens in some of my cities. They tell me there is too many people in the city. How do i manage this? Thanks for the help.

Hello all. Ihave some angry citizens in some of my cities. They tell me there is too many people in the city. How do i manage this? Thanks for the help.
You can't decrease the unhappiness due to population numbers, but you can increase overall happiness in a variety of ways. You might want to check out this thread. :)

I think there is a thread somewhere with city lists in it.

Mali has Mansa Musa as leader, Spiritual (no anarchy) and Financial (+1 commerce from tiles with 2+ commerce already). His UB is a forge which also adds +10% commerce. His UU is a str4 (rather than 3) archer that loks like a javelin thrower.

He is a massive tech whore and will trade techs with anyone ;)

I only found a partial list with like four, five names in it. After digging some more I found this:
TIMBUKTU
DJENNE
KUMBISALEH
GAO
WALATA
NIANI
AWDAGHOST
TADMEKKA
TEKEDDA
AWLIL
WADAN
AGADES
TEODENI
TAGHAZA
KATSINA
KANO
ZARIA
BILMA
NGAZARGUMU
That's all? That's way too few for me. :( What should I do...? Hmm, maybe add cities from modern day Mali?

Do you also happen to know the science and military leader names (or whatever equivalents there are in Civ4)? Oh, and what's the name of the UU?

I only found a partial list with like four, five names in it. After digging some more I found this:

That's all? That's way too few for me. :( What should I do...? Hmm, maybe add cities from modern day Mali?

Do you also happen to know the science and military leader names (or whatever equivalents there are in Civ4)? Oh, and what's the name of the UU?

Here's the full city list from CIV IV for Mali:-

Spoiler :
Code:
<Cities>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TIMBUKTU</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DJENNE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KUMBISALEH</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GAO</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WALATA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NIANI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AWDAGHOST</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TADMEKKA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TEKEDDA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AWLIL</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WADAN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AGADES</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TEODENI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAGHAZA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KATSINA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANO</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ZARIA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BILMA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NGAZARGUMU</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANGABA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DIA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TIRAQQA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AWKAR</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KUKIYA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAKRUR</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ARAWAN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SYA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAOUDENNI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BAMBOUK</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KIRINA</City>
			</Cities>
EDIT:- Here's a list of Great People for Mali , courtesy of Gaius Octavius:-
Spoiler :
Code:
"CIVILIZATION_MALI" :
							{
								"GP" : ("Ali Coulibaly", "Wali Keita", "Muhammad Abd al-Karim al-Maghili", "Nare Maghann Konate", "Seku Amadu", "Sidi Yahya", "Julien Mory Sidibe", "Askia Daoud"),
								"GA" : ("Nare Maghann Konate", "Gao", "Lobi Traore", "Abd Arahman ibn Faqi Mahmud", "Ahmad Baba al-Massufi", "Amadou Hampate Ba", "Ko Kan Ko Sata", "Malick Sidibe", "Moussa Konate", "Yambo Ouologuem", "Ibrahima Aya"),
								"GS" : ("Mahmud", "Ahmed Baba", "Ag Mohammed", "Abu Al Baraaka", "Mohammed ibn Mohammed Kara", "Gaoussou Diawara", "Massa Makan Diabate", "Al Aqib ibn Faqi Muhmud"),
								"GE" : ("Al-Qadi Aqib ibn Mahmud ibn Umar", " Abu Es Haq es Saheli", "Mohammed Bagayogo", "Sakura", "Cheick Modibo Diarra", " Mohamed Naddah", "Manding Bory", "Tieba Traore"),
								"GM" : ("Abubakari", "Abu Bakr ibn Ahmad Biru", "Leo Africanus", "Wali Keita", "Moctar Ouane", "Tunka Manin"),
								"GG" : ("Askia Muhammad", "Askia Daud", "Sundiata", "Sunni Ali", "Ngolo Diarra", "Biton Coulibaly", "Askia Ishaq II"),
								"GSPY" : ("Smain Lamari", "Mohamed Mediene", "Sharon Scranage", "Sandaki", "Mari Djata II")
							},

The Mali UU is known as The Skirmisher, which is a pretty hopeless generic name really, You might want to read up on Mali and invent your own ;)

I'm looking at buying a laptop with a memory card "256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650". Does that comply with the minimal graphic requirements ? I'm sure there's a better place to ask this, so don't hesitate to point me to somewhere else. Thanks !

A really lazy way to make this check is to use the laptop to goto http://www.systemrequirementslab.com then choose the relevant Civ4 expansion from the dropdown box (you will need to allow a small download to occur, however).

Why do some of my Terraces provide +2 :culture: and others, +4 :culture:?

Because some terraces exist for less than 1000 years and some exist for more than 1000 years.

I was about to ask about the mechanics of the culture increase, but you beat me to it. So, to make sure I have it right: every culture-producing building that is over 1000 years old produces double culture, is that correct? Does this include wonders? If a building is 2000/3000/4000 years old, does culture increase again, or is this a one-shot deal?

Funny how I never noticed that before. Oh well.

and by the way... FOUR gems!? 4!? :crazyeye:

Yeah - great city. I never get starts like that, and I found it almost too late to Quecha rush it. My scouts went south, NW, and N, and France was to the SW. :mad:

I was about to ask about the mechanics of the culture increase, but you beat me to it. So, to make sure I have it right: every culture-producing building that is over 1000 years old produces double culture, is that correct? Does this include wonders? If a building is 2000/3000/4000 years old, does culture increase again, or is this a one-shot deal?

Funny how I never noticed that before. Oh well.
It only happens once.

Got a simple question that I'm sure has been answered a hundered times, but the search function won't work on words less than 4 characters long :mad:

Is the AI affected by fog of war? I've had a couple of recent experiences that seem to suggest FOW only exists for the human player.

It is affected. But if I am correct, the AI sees a little bit further than the human. Kind of a replacement of the human memory (who knows that things were here or there because he saw them the turn before)

welcome to CFC :dance: :band: :banana:

What determines the length of anarchy for civic changes? I generally play marathon speed and generally switch into slavery (2 turns,) hereditary rule (2 turns,) organized religion (2 turns,) and bureaucracy (3 turns) as soon as they become available, and then by the time I want to switch into emancipation, universal suffrage, free speech/nationalism, mercantilism/communism/free market the anarchy is up to four or five turns (or more if I want to do all at once.) Lately I find myself saving a great person for a golden age mainly to avoid all the anarchy.

What determines the length of anarchy for civic changes? I generally play marathon speed and generally switch into slavery (2 turns,) hereditary rule (2 turns,) organized religion (2 turns,) and bureaucracy (3 turns) as soon as they become available, and then by the time I want to switch into emancipation, universal suffrage, free speech/nationalism, mercantilism/communism/free market the anarchy is up to four or five turns (or more if I want to do all at once.) Lately I find myself saving a great person for a golden age mainly to avoid all the anarchy.

It's surprisingly complicated and can get really crazy with mods. For the standard game the things which impact Anarchy are:
  • Number of civics you are changing; more civics = more anarchy but there is often an overall savings if you do them all at once.
  • How many cities you have (with world size taken into account); more cities = more anarchy
  • Game speed; Marathon is twice Normal, Epic is 1.5 times Normal, Quck is 2/3 Normal
  • Starting Era; later starts have a slight lessening effect to counteract the shorter game

Here's the full city list from CIV IV for Mali:-

Spoiler :
Code:
<Cities>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TIMBUKTU</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DJENNE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KUMBISALEH</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GAO</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WALATA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NIANI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AWDAGHOST</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TADMEKKA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TEKEDDA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AWLIL</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WADAN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AGADES</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TEODENI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAGHAZA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KATSINA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANO</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ZARIA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BILMA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NGAZARGUMU</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANGABA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DIA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TIRAQQA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AWKAR</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KUKIYA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAKRUR</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ARAWAN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SYA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAOUDENNI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BAMBOUK</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KIRINA</City>
			</Cities>
EDIT:- Here's a list of Great People for Mali , courtesy of Gaius Octavius:-
Spoiler :
Code:
"CIVILIZATION_MALI" :
							{
								"GP" : ("Ali Coulibaly", "Wali Keita", "Muhammad Abd al-Karim al-Maghili", "Nare Maghann Konate", "Seku Amadu", "Sidi Yahya", "Julien Mory Sidibe", "Askia Daoud"),
								"GA" : ("Nare Maghann Konate", "Gao", "Lobi Traore", "Abd Arahman ibn Faqi Mahmud", "Ahmad Baba al-Massufi", "Amadou Hampate Ba", "Ko Kan Ko Sata", "Malick Sidibe", "Moussa Konate", "Yambo Ouologuem", "Ibrahima Aya"),
								"GS" : ("Mahmud", "Ahmed Baba", "Ag Mohammed", "Abu Al Baraaka", "Mohammed ibn Mohammed Kara", "Gaoussou Diawara", "Massa Makan Diabate", "Al Aqib ibn Faqi Muhmud"),
								"GE" : ("Al-Qadi Aqib ibn Mahmud ibn Umar", " Abu Es Haq es Saheli", "Mohammed Bagayogo", "Sakura", "Cheick Modibo Diarra", " Mohamed Naddah", "Manding Bory", "Tieba Traore"),
								"GM" : ("Abubakari", "Abu Bakr ibn Ahmad Biru", "Leo Africanus", "Wali Keita", "Moctar Ouane", "Tunka Manin"),
								"GG" : ("Askia Muhammad", "Askia Daud", "Sundiata", "Sunni Ali", "Ngolo Diarra", "Biton Coulibaly", "Askia Ishaq II"),
								"GSPY" : ("Smain Lamari", "Mohamed Mediene", "Sharon Scranage", "Sandaki", "Mari Djata II")
							},

The Mali UU is known as The Skirmisher, which is a pretty hopeless generic name really, You might want to read up on Mali and invent your own ;)

Thankyous. :) But what does GP, GA, GS, GE, GM, GG and GSPY mean? After reading the FAQ it seems like GP = great priest, GA = great artist, GS = great scientist, GE = great engineer and GM = great merchant. But what's GG and GSPY?

Thankyous. :) But what does GP, GA, GS, GE, GM, GG and GSPY mean? After reading the FAQ it seems like GP = great priest, GA = great artist, GS = great scientist, GE = great engineer and GM = great merchant. But what's GG and GSPY?

Yep, you got them all right. GG is Great General, GSPY is Great Spy..

Top Bottom