Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I really don't know what the aversion to Huge maps on marathon is. I went from the original Civ to Civ IV and I started playing huge/marathon games right away. Of course, I am very comfortable with micromanagement, so I find large, slow games to be easy. It's the quick games on small maps I have difficulty with. Weird, huh?

I really don't know what the aversion to Huge maps on marathon is. I went from the original Civ to Civ IV and I started playing huge/marathon games right away. Of course, I am very comfortable with micromanagement, so I find large, slow games to be easy. It's the quick games on small maps I have difficulty with. Weird, huh?

Welcome to civfanatics! :dance::band:[party]

So your 'newbie' question is whether that is weird?

Many players play at marathon speed and those who play at marathon speed typically play on larger map sizes. So, no, you're behaviour is not weird, it's pretty standard. Although the largest group of players on this site play on epic game speed and varying map sizes.

Slow connection or sever working too hard maybe? CFC does on occasion freeze up for me too. Not all the time, but it does happen.

For your second question- Do you mean have an avatar like mine that isn't one of the pre-selected ones that comes with the site? If that's the case then you need at least 30 posts and to have been registered for at least 30 days. If you're stuck with only civ revolution avatars then I don't know what's wrong.

Edit: just tried switching my avatar to one of the civ ones. Nothing didn't work so either something's wrong on your end or you want a custom avatar like me.

I mean the pre-selected one. I can't switch it beyond what shows up on the first page. Also my connection is slow but not so slow that I shouldn't be able to edit stuff.

I don't know why but I also can't see my own avatar even though I can see everyone else. In the place of my avatar is a link to my avatar. I don't get this.

How can I find mods for "vanilla" CIV IV?
Are they always mixed in the the BTS, Warlords, and whatever other extensions I can't afford?

Also, I tried to download the "Europa Mod", but it came from Rapidshare, which stopped downloading halfway through because it said I had used up all my "free" downloads. Anywhere else to get it?

I live in a small town in China, so just getting on the internet at all is a big deal for me. I know 5 euros isn't really much money, but here and now it is.

Not sure if this is a newbie question or not, but in your custom music folder, can you separate what music plays in which age?

I've just got Civ4 and both expansions as an early Christmas gift, and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a good introductory scenario? (Something like Conquests, though I haven't played a lot of Civ3)

The scenarios that come with the games seem to be either plain maps, or full-blown mods, so I haven't quite found what I was looking for... Thanks :)

Crécerelle;7429938 said:
I've just got Civ4 and both expansions as an early Christmas gift, and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a good introductory scenario? (Something like Conquests, though I haven't played a lot of Civ3)

The scenarios that come with the games seem to be either plain maps, or full-blown mods, so I haven't quite found what I was looking for... Thanks :)
The scenarios are really intended for players who have become familiar with the basic game and are looking for something a little different.

"Vanilla" Civ IV (the original, without expansion packs) has a very basic tutorial which is not a bad place to start, though it by no means covers everything. After that, try Sulla's walk-through and my own beginners' guide (link in my sig), along with other articles in the War Academy.

So how do the drill promotions work with respect to collateral damage? Do they have less of a chance of being affected, or does it mean they aren't as damaged when they're selected for collateral damage?

My stacks full of drills are being hit with seige weapons and I'm noticing that only 1 or 2 units are suffering collateral damage (according to the game announcements). This leads me to believe that my first idea above is what's actually going on.

So how do the drill promotions work with respect to collateral damage? Do they have less of a chance of being affected, or does it mean they aren't as damaged when they're selected for collateral damage?

My stacks full of drills are being hit with seige weapons and I'm noticing that only 1 or 2 units are suffering collateral damage (according to the game announcements). This leads me to believe that my first idea above is what's actually going on.
Hmm, I was fairly sure that drill promotions meant that troops weren't as damaged when they were selected for collateral damage, not that they had less of a chance of being hit. But perhaps somebody else more knowledgeable can clarify that.

Are all the units in your stack capable of receiving collateral damage? Remember that siege units are immune to it. Assuming that's not the case, one possibility of why only a few units are getting hit is simply luck - some units get hit multiple times instead of multiple units being hit once. But I'm not 100% sure on this.

Hmm, I was fairly sure that drill promotions meant that troops weren't as damaged when they were selected for collateral damage, not that they had less of a chance of being hit. But perhaps somebody else more knowledgeable can clarify that.

Are all the units in your stack capable of receiving collateral damage? Remember that siege units are immune to it. Assuming that's not the case, one possibility of why only a few units are getting hit is simply luck - some units get hit multiple times instead of multiple units being hit once. But I'm not 100% sure on this.

I usually use the same attack force from game to game (well similar enough). Given this, it was obvious when I promoted my usual units with drill since there was a whole lot less collateral damage against my units. Perhaps the "suffers XX% less collateral damage" means that if the unit is selected for collateral damage, it has a XX% of avoiding it.

On an unrelated note, is there anyway to use combat zoom on the defense? It would be nice if the game zoomed in (if you have the option set) while being attacked.

I'm still playing Civ 3 :old: but I've been thinking about buying a copy of Civ4. Which version of Civ 4 should I get? I want the one that is the most complete/most recent.

@Plutonian: I didn't have any compatibility issues with Vista, but you might want to browse the Tech Support forum for Vista topics.

@Globex: The most recent is Beyond the Sword, but since it is an expansion, you would need the original "vanilla" version too. You can completely ignore Warlords because BTS includes everything that was in it except for some extra scenarios.

Patches an mods and, and
So, I got fed up playing the same thing,

I have only the normal civ IV

and then I found the Thomas_War extension, great I thought,
I even found a forum for it , but , it did not work for me
it turned out it needed something called BTS, and

so, I know now that BTS means Beyond the Sword, but, nothing said about that at the download side, so,

after a lot of investigating, I used the FAQ here, and that I must say is quite useful,
even if I was able to download TotalRealism for Warlords

(of course it did not work) and that I must say was my mistake, it really said it was for warlords,

anyway ..

I then downloaded Totalrealism for vanilla (thank you the one telling that vanilla is the normal thing,
how shall anybody know that without people saying,)
(and why call it vanilla?? why not say normal civ IV, why make it dfficult for folks ??)

so, I downloaded both things, there is a patch- file (2.3.1 or something) and the normal setupfile,
and it says it needs the 1.61 patch yes, but I have the newest steam civ, and version is 1.74, so ..

but it did not work, so I dowloaded patch 1.74, because that must be better that 1.61, and I am trying to
place it at different locations, but all it says is that I do not have civ IV wherever I place it

so ..

it is difficult, nobody is telling where to place the things, .. and

I really liked the FAQsection,but why can it not be a good description of everything with the download ,
before there used to be a txt-file to go with the files for troubleshooting

and why all these abbreviations, I still have no idea what this concept HOF is which is written so much about and,
as I was telling before, BTS was a mystery a long time ..

Yours sincerely

Innocent Panter

BTS is an extension pack. You have to pay for it.

As for the patch, because you have a steam version you should get the patch from there; otherwise it always causes some problems.

Top Bottom