Tips for Winning Religion Victory

zulu1981

Chieftain
Hi,
I am playing one of the FFH scenarios where I have to win a religion victory. I have tried everything but my religion is stuck at 65%
1. I have sent Esselciastic to all cities to spread the relion
2. I have sent vicars to carry out Inquistion and build Empyrean temples in all the cities, where is was possible
3. All the cities are very well connected with each other , and my cities have very high culture
4. the two other nations are friendly towards me and one of them even has adopted Empyrean but the other has not.

Is there any thing else I can do ?

Spread your religion to every single AI city you can. Just adopting it is not enough.
If possible, Inquisition their cities too, so only your one religion remain.
Check out barbarian cities as well - spread your religion to them (after you capture it) or destroy them.

Temples don't factor in the equation - you just need quantity. I think you have to get the whole world to follow your one religion, barring holy cities for other religions (which cannot be Inquisition-ed).

I don't actually think adopting another religion matters...

80% of the world's population needs to follow your religion in order for you to win a religious victory. Cities with multiple religions split their population evenly when determining this. So, a city that has 3% of the world population in it that has order, FoL and OO in it would add 1% to each of those religion's totals. Purge Order and FoL, and it would give 3% to OO, 0% to everything else.

So:

Spread your religion to as many cities as you can.
Inquisition as many cities as you can.

That's all you can do, and all you need to do. Nothing else matters.

Thanks for the tips ! I have already populated the religion in all the cities and carried out the inquisitions wherever possible and I am still stuck at 65%. Looks like there is nothing much I can do now . I guess I will try razing the other holy :evil:

Have you explored the entire map? Have you tracked down any barbarian cities that may be out there? Do you have open borders with as many folks as possible so you can inquisition their cities? What % is Esus at? It doesn't show up on the map (unless you control the city) so it might be in a lot of cities you're unaware of.

Another thing you can do is increase your population in your Empyrean cities and encourage the same in your Empyrean allies by building happiness buildings and helping them hook up happiness resources. Kane starts way behind everyone else in the technology department. Help him out with some techs so he can hook up resources to grow his cities.

well I traded world map , So I think I have seen all the cities. But increasing the population of my cities, now that is a cool idea I didn't thought of, thanks :lol:

well I traded world map , So I think I have seen all the cities. But increasing the population of my cities, now that is a cool idea I didn't thought of, thanks :lol:

Run your Inquisitors around to those cities. See if Inquisition is an option when you sit on the city square because Esus doesn't show up as a religion when it is in a city that you don't own. There could be lots of Esus cities that you don't know are in that religion even though you can see the city clearly.

Being annoying is kind of the whole point of Esus.

...Well, being annoying and getting a unit with Mind III before most civs have Sorcery.

hmm .. I do see Esus having around 15% or influence or os. I will check it out too ...thanks

Remember that the easiest religion to spread is Order.
When spread to the AI, it takes care of it self.

Are there many barbarian cities? Their population also counts towards the total population, which is used to calculate the percentage that follows your religion.

I had a similar problem to yours once and I won the game by destroying barbarian cities (and capturing them and spreading AV to them)...

Being annoying is kind of the whole point of Esus.

...Well, being annoying and getting a unit with Mind III before most civs have Sorcery.

Well, yeah. If you can clearly see that in the civilopedia that their hero can take control of your civ for a little while, you can kinda assume that they're supposed to be annoying :(

Does other civs state religion make any difference towards the 80% count? (Apart from enabeling inquisition etc.)

Yes, in the sense that population that counts for following another religion doesn't count for following yours:
Cities with multiple religions split their population evenly when determining this. So, a city that has 3% of the world population in it that has order, FoL and OO in it would add 1% to each of those religion's totals.

You may also need to destroy the Grigori, since their people tend to be worshiping no one, but as still counted as population in the world count.

All in all, making friends with people that are your alignment early, sending lots of missionaries and trading for your allies to convert to your religion helps a lot.

Problem is that as you gain more and more allies, some sticks in the mud will refuse to help you win the game and stubbornly keep to their heathen religions. Vassals are much more agreeable...

Rather than destroying the Grigori (or the Illians, for that matter) you can spread your religion to their cities. They may not have a state religion, but their cities can have religions in them.

Top Bottom