Some Responses You Would Like to See

I'd like to have a few more responses to interactions with the AI- even though the only use would be to make me feel better.

In the World Congress:

AI "Your vote caused my proposition to fail- do not expect my support in the future."
Human: "Well, I was never going to get it anyway"

AI: "I didn't like your proposal. I hope this doesn't escalate to conflict."
Human: "Bring it on!"

Any other suggestions?

I know exactly how you feel about wanting to change certain text that doesn't affect the game itself. For me, the problem was "the Terrible" that Autocracy added to the end of my name. I eventually found the relevant text in one of the game's xml files and changed the Autocracy title to "Emperor" instead.

Anyway, my point is I saw a lot of text for diplomacy responses and other things while I was digging through the files - perhaps you can just edit the appropriate xml file to use the text that you want?

I realized that some additional clarification may be helpful:

The file you are looking for is called "Civ5_Dialog__GENERIC.xml". In my version it is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\LeaderDialog" but your computer may be different depending on your operating system, country, etc.

I always open XML files with Notepad, but I don't know if that is actually necessary.

In this file you will find the following text:

</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_DIPLO_DISCUSS_STOP_DIGGING">
<Text>We meant no offense when attempting to steal your cultural heritage.</Text>
</Row>

Just change the the wording there to be whatever you want to change it to. Also, it's probably a good idea to make a copy of the file before you modify it, just in case :)

EDIT: In case you wanted to edit different lines of dialogue and you didn't see those lines in the file I listed above, then the dialogue is probably in a different file with the same name. In my version, the second file is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\Gameplay\XML\NewText\EN_US\LeaderDialog"

Thanks Count Accountant- that hadn't occurred to me.

However, there are still some when you don't even get to respond as in:

"That's not even close to a fair deal"

and I'd like to come back with "I don't give a rats about your interpretation of a fair deal".

Best one is the archaeology dispute:

AI: "I couldn't help but notice you took some antiquities from our land. This has to stop."
Human (word for word): "we meant no offence in stealing your culture"
AI: Good. Our culture should belong to us, not you.

The choice was either that or "I dig where I want" The non-diplo hit human response is just so sarcastic though.

Have you noticed the wording in the game is pretty clever though in regard to the AI response? It is along the lines of "Items found in our lands belong to us, not to you." They don't actually mention their culture so it covers items that belonged to another Civ- such as if they have stolen land or conquered a city.

Thanks Count Accountant- that hadn't occurred to me.

However, there are still some when you don't even get to respond as in:

"That's not even close to a fair deal"

and I'd like to come back with "I don't give a rats about your interpretation of a fair deal".

:lol:

In those situations, I find that simply yelling at my computer and perhaps mixing in some minor profanity meets most of my needs.

I'd like to have a few more responses to interactions with the AI- even though the only use would be to make me feel better.

In the World Congress:

AI "Your vote caused my proposition to fail- do not expect my support in the future."
Human: "Well, I was never going to get it anyway"

AI: "I didn't like your proposal. I hope this doesn't escalate to conflict."
Human: "Bring it on!"

Any other suggestions?

I would love a ton of new responses from the Ai and even from the Player. These are just a few examples I would like.

Denouncements.

AI: "I am letting the world know of your sins and am denouncing you."

Player: "Care to tell me why instead of just some blanket comment?"

AI:"Oh, ok, well you planted a new settlement near me, which you expressedly said you wouldn`t. Remember that vote you made banning anyone from dealing with City states - ALL my trade was with CS! And what about that General you used to take some of my territory? And that archaeologist you`re digging up my land with?"

Player: Oh... yea... forgot about those...

Denouncement 2

AI: Hello friend Player. I have a serious issue. Please denounce this other Civ with me.

Player: "Hello, friend AI, may I ask why?"

AI: The dastardly dog has once again taken a City state from me and set another military unit near my borders. He needs scaring off.

Player: Ah, I see. What if I don`t denounce him?

AI: "I am sorry to say that I will be extremely disappointed to the point I will not consider you a valid friend (he`ll denounce player).

or... alternative.

AI: "I will be unhappy if you do not denouncement him, but we shall remain friends."

2. Free Gifts.

AI: "Hello. We`re not doing too well over here, so can you give us Furs for free?"

Player: "I see you have spices free which we need. I`ll do you a swap."

AI: "Unacceptable!"

Player: "Why?"

AI: "Because I need it for someone else, myself, I`m a selfish tightwad -whatever." (Just let the AI give some kind of answer). He could even just ignore the Player at that question and switch out of the diplo screen (an insult).

Player: "Sorry, pal, but I can`t afford to give free stuff when you have stuff you can give. Bye."

3. WAR.

AI: Hello. "I can`t stand X Civ, I trust you will join me in a war with them?"

Player: "Care to explain why you wish me to join in what could be a hard war?"

AI: Well X civ has been encroaching on my lands, stealing my Cs`, denounced me several times, we have starkly opposing religious and political views and he has even been conspiring against YOU?"

Player: Hmm. What`s his military power like?

AI: With our combined might he doesn`t stand a chance.

Player: Ok, you convinced me, give me 10 turns to prepare.

War 2

AI: "Will you join me in a war against Civ X?"

Player, "Yes."

AI: "I will attack his city of Jericho and you attack his city of Jolly which nearest you. We will catch him from north and south!"

Player: "Fair enough."

War 3

Player: "Hey friend AI."

AI: Hello friend. Good to see you.

Player: "You asked me to join in a difficult war, then halfway through you made peace with our adversary, leaving me to deal with his full force? How about giving me some warning and maybe we could`ve BOTH made peace with him?"

AI: "Oh, yea. Sorry, the Civ 5 Devs haven`t programmed such logic and common sense into me yet!"

Player: "Bah!"

Just a little more `why` conversations with AI so we get some reason to why the AI wants something of the player, even if it has to lie to get the Player on his side (that`s if it`s the lying type of Civ).

Also more variety in Player responses, questions too. Obviously some options would lead to 4 or 5 branches of questions and answers, but it wouldn`t be much different from figuring out the dialogue of an rpg. Just have the conversations switch over to the next part of the topic so the screen does not fill up. This would help make Leaders much more immersive and less cardboard.

Just as they one for human players about archeologists stealing from their lands, I would mine a discuss option to:

"I saw ur men putting their filthy sticky-fingered hands on our precious artifacts. I demand that u cease this ill-begotten practice"

"Doctor Jones, we're all vulnerable to vicious rumors. I seem to remember that in Honduras you were accused of being a grave robber rather than an archaeologist."

"Doctor Jones, we're all vulnerable to vicious rumors. I seem to remember that in Honduras you were accused of being a grave robber rather than an archaeologist."

"Wasn't it the Sultan of Madagascar who threatened to cut off your head if you ever returned to his country?"

"No it wasn't my head..."

"Your hands, perhaps?"

"No, it was my...my misunderstanding..." :D

I would like the AI to be more ghetto in reply:

AI: "Who you finna try!? I bet it aint me!"

--google it--- lol

I would like to hear this sound file when you launch a submarine:

"We will leave our fleet behind, we will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills. And when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Havana, where the sun is warm, and so is the...comradeship. A great day, comrades! We sail into history!"

Top Bottom