So I forward settled my first expansion on Shaka today...

Serves you right since you settled 15 tiles from your capital. On flat land. In front of Shaka. Without any real army. :p

Serves you right since you settled 15 tiles from your capital. On flat land. In front of Shaka. Without any real army. :p

The temptation of a double luxury city on a river, with stone grassland, wheat, and horse was too great to resist.

NEVER AGAIN.

I tried something simillar once vs Shoshone, about 13 tiles away from capital. Then they planted a city at minimum distance from me which immediately grabbed 2 Lux and several river tiles with their crazy instant territory and DoWed me 2 turns later. Couldn't support the city in time since it was so far from the capital with rough terrain in between.

If we had human player and AI reverse their roles in the current situation, we would witness new "Yet another example of AI weird settling strategy" thread :D

Well, that's entirely true. :D However we'd get instant warmonger penalty if we took their city.

I tried something simillar once vs Shoshone, about 13 tiles away from capital. Then they planted a city at minimum distance from me which immediately grabbed 2 Lux and several river tiles with their crazy instant territory and DoWed me 2 turns later. Couldn't support the city in time since it was so far from the capital with rough terrain in between.

I once spawned so close to Poland that any city I might have settled was right next to them, and there weren't any good spots for an expansion for either of us, as we were boxed in by City-States, so the war was inevitable. "Our proximity has fated us to be enemies!"

He conquered my capital and all but one of my cities, a lone expansion deep in the hills, next to a mountain, with the only food being 2 sheep. I suffered many turns of no science because of negative GPT. I managed to actually ram out enough CBows to beat back his massive army with the city surviving at 1hp, then I reconquered everything, and conquered all his land. I won the war, but I was still in classical by the time everyone was entering the Renaissance, and unhappiness was terrible, so it had crippled me beyond repair. The warmonger penalty I got was tremendous, so everyone hated me right as the world congress was being founded.

All of our land was terrible, too. Almost his entire capital was tundra. The city we went to war over was a glorious floodplain city on a river delta, forests and hills just close enough to get production from, but far enough that they didn't interfere with food. Had salt and incense. He got to it before I did, and I had to settle for a coastal tundra city next to an ivory. If he hadn't declared, I would have.

:lol:

Also, I like how Bismarck settled next to Shaka on the opposite side of that Nobamba city. :popcorn:

Had a similar thing just happen to me as the Incas. I didn't like my start location, so I moved my settler 5 spaces north to a beautiful river/coastal/flood plain and settled there. Soon as I clicked the city button, I found out that Atilla was 6 tiles away. :spank:

Shaka's infinite Impis are definitely a nuisance.

He had some ungodly amounts of gold at times because of his intense tribute behaviour.

He also seems to eventually conquer city states which is interesting.

I had the benefit of using Greece as my buffer state, but after helping Alexander fend off 4 or 5 attacks, I got sick of it and ended it - rolling 8 landships and 4 artillery across the desert to take care of it.

I liberated two city states and kind of felt like Norman Schwarzkopf.

He was probably going to do that to you anyway.

I know he was, but I might not have been the first one to get obliterated if I hadn't ran around naked in his back yard shouting "it'd be a shame if someone interrupted this lovely picnic!"

You should have waited till you had 3 archers and a warrior/spearman before doing that. Then you could have a constant stream of units to level your archers on.

hehe, I did this in a game recently and it actually worked, i ended up friends with Shaka all game. You see, if you bribe him to attack everyone else, that city near him will be an attractive target...for his trade routes, because he's not at war with you :)

I always like to delude myself when Shaka is in the game. I somehow convinced myself that Shaka was just an evil folktale told to scare children and is for all purpose, a paper tiger. I once played Morocco and there was the nice old gentleman Enrico Dandolo in the far West and the not as nice but still cool, Askia in the West too but closer to me. I forward settled to snag a nice position between two CS and near one of Askia Frontier cities. There was jungles,rivers and hills. Perfectly defensible right? I started a small skirmish with Askia that raged for a thousand years.

One day, Enrico sent me a message that a dark horde has assembled in the far west, made up of screaming men whose six-pacs shone like gleaming spears in the sun and whose real spears were equally awe-inspiring. I ignored the messenger as there was a war to fight with the city-burning heathen that is Askia. Venice soon ceased to be, enveloped by a fog of darkness and of chants, terrible war chants that echo deep and powerful from the West. One by one, they came, raining down spears on the cities of the Songhai and I thought i was ready to repel them when they come. My gatling guns stood proud and ready and my muskets top of the line. Surely, you do not bring a spear to a gun fight.

I was wrong...so wrong! I rage-quitted. Bloody Impis. At least i died to the most glorious war-theme in the game.

Top Bottom