Difficulty rating doesnt matter

Rathelon

Prince
I keep seeing people remarking about difficulty rating which other posters are playing. C'mon, guys (and gals), let's just stop with this. Myself, I play anything from warlord to emperor just depending on how much challenge I feel like having. The point is; it's a game - people play it to have fun. Let them enjoy it however they want.

The problem is that certain strategies do/don't work on certain difficulty levels, so knowing what level they are playing can help better understand the strategy.

However, if its simply boasting then I agree, there's no point to it.

I will usually ask if someone is looking for help/advice, because not only what is viable, but also what is optimal depends on your difficulty level. For example if I wanted to win a culture victory, I would go for both Piety (Sacred Sites) and Aesthetics on say, Prince, but this would likely be suicide on Immortal or Deity. But you're talking about "remarks", so I guess we're on the same side. Just saying.

I will usually ask if someone is looking for help/advice, because not only what is viable, but also what is optimal depends on your difficulty level. For example if I wanted to win a culture victory, I would go for both Piety (Sacred Sites) and Aesthetics on say, Prince, but this would likely be suicide on Immortal or Deity. But you're talking about "remarks", so I guess we're on the same side. Just saying.

This. Strategies vary wildly between difficulty levels.

Although, I disagree in that both Piety and Aesthetics do work on Immortal...my best culture wins have come using both trees at the same time.

Yeah, I understand if you're talking strategies and how they work at different levels. That's fine and good. It is the boasting and other remarks I was referring to.

Yeah, I understand if you're talking strategies and how they work at different levels. That's fine and good. It is the boasting and other remarks I was referring to.

I don't notice much of that, but perhaps I just ignore it. I agree though, it's dumb.

This. Strategies vary wildly between difficulty levels.

Although, I disagree in that both Piety and Aesthetics do work on Immortal...my best culture wins have come using both trees at the same time.

Cool. I probably wouldn't have even tried it, I was just trying to give an example. I'm trying Sacred Sites + Aesthetics in an isolated Deity game right now.

The problem is that certain strategies do/don't work on certain difficulty levels, so knowing what level they are playing can help better understand the strategy.

However, if its simply boasting then I agree, there's no point to it.

You can also learn alot from those who like the harder levels, since they've usually spent alot of time cursing the game figuring out how do win, or just survive.

I keep seeing people remarking about difficulty rating which other posters are playing. C'mon, guys (and gals), let's just stop with this. Myself, I play anything from warlord to emperor just depending on how much challenge I feel like having. The point is; it's a game - people play it to have fun. Let them enjoy it however they want.

From your opinion, you are obviously a Chieftain level player... :D

Just kidding, just kidding... truth is, there are game set ups that play like Settler even if the difficulty is set to Deity (and you see most of this exactly where you would suspect, in postings bragging about their "deity" victory...) and there are set ups that play like Immortal, even if you set difficulty to Warlord.

Everything is relative in this game. That is why it is so much fun.

Perhaps a very small select few posters here would boast about their Deity victories. Not sure what would be the point... plenty here have beaten Deity. Not me though, but one day I shall!

The way I see it, there will always be someone better and someone worse off then you are. This statement doesn't only apply to Civ, but life in general. Any who feels the need to boast or brag are just insecure people.

Seriously, it`s just not like that. It`s not that simple.

That`s like saying, `Don`t worry if you`re playing against a Professional Footballer or the local kid in the park. Their skill differences make no difference to your Fun!`

I think it would make a big difference to your fun as the Professional never lets you get near the ball. Neither is it much fun running around a little kid.

Not even sure why you even posted the thread.

Seriously, it`s just not like that. It`s not that simple.

That`s like saying, `Don`t worry if you`re playing against a Professional Footballer or the local kid in the park. Their skill differences make no difference to your Fun!`

I think it would make a big difference to your fun as the Professional never lets you get near the ball. Neither is it much fun running around a little kid.

Not even sure why you even posted the thread.

I don't see the relevance of your point. For the most part, this is a single-player game and you choose your own difficulty level, ergo your own fun factor.

When I say difficulty rating doesn't matter, I mean it shouldn't matter to other people what level you are playing.

I wonder though, why are you concerned what other people "should" think about your difficulty preferences? Did you start this thread in an attempt to control everyone's thoughts?

I feel its worth mentioning that at certain difficulty settings the game stops being strategy and ends up being a button pressing simulator, Because it stops the game being about doing the optimal strategy and making hard decisions and just gives you easy victories to feel good about yourself.

That being said, it's only a game and is meant to be fun :)

I feel its worth mentioning that at certain difficulty settings the game stops being strategy and ends up being a button pressing simulator, Because it stops the game being about doing the optimal strategy and making hard decisions and just gives you easy victories to feel good about yourself.

That being said, it's only a game and is meant to be fun :)

Yes but the opposite is also true. At the higher difficulties the game becomes less free unless you are playing it in a fairly scripted way. I can play higher difficulties now because I know to beeline National College and so on from having read it on forums. I think I had more fun in Prince levels before I knew that though and I selected each tech based on what I was feeling at the time.

...there will always be someone better and someone worse off then you are. This statement doesn't only apply to Civ, but life in general. Any who feels the need to boast or brag are just insecure people.

EXACTLY. A very healthy weltanschauung, because it gives you the chance to try and emulate/learn from the better ones, while sharing your best with the others.

Top Bottom