Multiplayer ToT Problem (and playing Maps/Premade Worlds)

RecurCivity

Chieftain
I usually play Civ2 MGE for multiplayer games, but I recently got ToT (as part of the Chronicles package), patched it up with the ToTPP and Catfish's graphics combined with a gigamap of Earth, and I really like the feel of it as a single player game, so I wanted to start using ToT to play multiplayer games rather than MGE.

I got ToT installed on a couple laptops on my lan, and everything looked good on each one, but I ran into two problems: the first was that every time the second computer went to join the game, it bounced out as soon as the game actually started -- everything seemed fine, and the host computer saw the new player, both were able to choose civs, etc., but as soon as the map opened, the joining player bounced out. Is this possibly some kind of Windows firewall problem? We play MGE with no difficulty on this lan, on another lan, and over the internet. We told Windows to let Civ through the firewall, so I don't think that could be it -- in that case, I don't think we'd get as far as we do.

The second problem is less a problem than a puzzle that I can't figure out: is it possible to play ToT multiplayer on a specific map? It appears when I start up a new multiplayer game that there is no way to get anything but a game-generated map, either a standard one or a custom one, but still not a specific "premade world" as you can choose in MGE. Am I missing something? Is this possible? :confused:

Edit: I completely turned off Windows Firewall on both laptops, and the problem persists. As soon as the world is built, the joining player is bounced to the "join game" menu again, and despite Aztecs coming before the Carthaginians, the Carthaginians (me on the host computer) pops up with the first turn.

Also, both machines are running Win7 64-bit.

Can I join your games? I'm only interested to play with more players ;-)

Hi,

I had the same Problem until I switched off the "Decrease CPU use" patch of ToTPP (Version 0.10).

Now Multiplayer works perfectly

Hi,

I had the same Problem until I switched off the "Decrease CPU use" patch of ToTPP (Version 0.10).

Now Multiplayer works perfectly

Thanks, marty651! I will try that out tomorrow!

Edit: That fixed it completely. Unchecking "Decrease CPU use" in the TOTPP patch of both machines allowed the two computers to communicate.

Still don't know how to play on a specific map, or if it's even possible, outside a scenario, when starting a multiplayer game.

Top Bottom