Quick Questions and Answers

I don't know if there is a right answer to this, but I have a strategy question:

Playing as Spain, Hemispheres map, I had 3 cities along the northeast part of the eastern landmass. I'm kind of blocked off from most of my closest neighbors by mountains and city states. The Aztecs spawned just south of me but never got more than 1 city before being conquered by the Inca. Some time later the Inca attacked me and I ended up taking the Aztec capital. I decided to liberate it, because I didn't really want the city, but I wanted a buffer between me and the Inca. It worked great for a while, and I even ended up taking another Incan city and keeping it (mostly just for warring purposes, it's south of the Aztec capital and so it's kind of far away from my other cities. I then took his tiniest city as part of a peace deal and razed it. I then founded another city near a cluster of aluminum, giving me 5 total. Things were good for a while after that, but while I've spent the time building science and culture buildings, I think he's been building a lot more military units. Now he's attacked the Aztecs, which kind of sucks for me because I'm sort of going for a cultural victory and I'm already influential over the Aztecs.

So, do I:

1. declare war on the Inca again (the peace treaty is over) and help the Aztecs fight them off
2. let them take the Aztec capital again, and then attack them and liberate it again
3. let them take the Aztec capital and not do anything about it.

I don't have as big of an army as him at this point, but I'm able to bust out cannons and Tercios in 2-3 turns so it shouldn't take long to catch up if need be.

Three or four cities, lay low, and then break out with crossbows or artillery is my usual strategy. Is it better to go Tradition or Liberty? I usually open Tradition and then fill out Liberty. It seems to match up better for anything but one city. Thoughts? Also, I am unsure of the value of Legalism. One free culture building, what does that mean? Does that mean one culture point, or am I getting free buildings and not realizing it?

There is NO best strategy "Overall",
That is why Civilization is such a great game, because all your have to do is change your setup, and your strategy changes dramatically,....Then the game starts, and you have to alter depending on what the map, and AI leaders present to the original situation.

Much depends on your skill level, and if you are content with "Just winning", Trying for the highest score, or attempting a certain victory condition in the shortest number of turns.

If you have a certain leader, map, victory condition, etc......

Then I suggest you check out the "Lets Play" section,....

And if your looking at how the "Elite" players would tackle a defined setup then review the HOF page for games that fit your criteria. You are able to load the games presented at 4 different points, with the Start and Victory being your bookends.

You can tell a lot when loading these games,....And if one of the games is a "Gauntlet", then there is a entire thread dedicated to players giving input on a particular setup, and the smartest way to tackle a particular map with the chosen conditions.

Is it possible to rename units?

I remember vaguely being able to do so in Civ4 but can't seem to do it in Civ5...

When you have the opportunity to promote a unit you can also change its name. There is a small Edit button on the promotion screen.

Just wondering, what are the mechanics for proposing to make peace with civ A as a deal to civ B? can this breach the 10 turns of war limit?

likewise, can you be asked to or ask someone for a deal to go into war with a civ you made a peace treaty with less than 10 turns ago?

assuming speed is standard.

From what I know You cannot make a proposition for civ B to declare war on civ A if they are in a 10 turn peace deal. If you hover the mouse over civ A it will say something that a deal is preventing this. I don't know how to test the second one but I never experienced something like that and I don't think it's possible. Maybe it can be tested in a hot-seat game.

Is there anyway to move the game from full screen to window mode while loading?

I play Path of Exile which takes around 3 minutes to load like Civ V, but I found out you can press Alt + Enter and the game will become windowed. You can then browse the internet while the game load, then press Alt + Enter to go back to full screen when the game's loaded.

First time posting here and I'm from Sweden, so if you find any misspelling or strange grammar: that's the cause.

Well then. I've tried searching for an answer to my question but didn't find anything (maybe due to a bad search) but/so here it is:
How do I perform a Great Person gift to a City State when playing as Sweden? I know I can send a Great Merchant and conduct a trade mission, but is there a way to send other great persons? The setup says you can get 90 influence but when I've tried to give a city state a great person (like giving them a unit) I don't recieve any 90 influence?

I play Civ5 BNW by the way.

Edit:
Oh, I seem to have found it (here). So I guess I have to wait a couple of turns before the influence gained shows? (Probably because the GP has to travel there first.)

Hello everyone, as much as I hate to admit it as former hater, after actually having played Civ5 I have to admit that it kinda sorta isn't as bad as I imagined it would be.

Okay I have put almost 100 hours into the game over the past week because it's so addictive, you happy now?

Anyway, there is still a couple of things that bother me:

Sometimes an AI comes and asks me if I want to declare war on someone with them, but when I decline and then ask them a turn later if we should go to war against the same player they just wanted to go to war with they always say "We've been over this before, the answer is still no."
What gives? This is really infuriating when a bunch of AIs ask me in the same turn and I decline only the first time but ask for ten turns preparation all the others because I don't want to go to war with only one ally but sure want to join in on a dogpile.

How does modding relate to Steam achievements? Are they all deactivated when running a mod or is that no problem at all?

What mods would you recommend to me? Don't need new leaders or civs or units or graphics or stuff in general, but balance and gameplay improvements are very welcome. I'd especially like a mod that lifts some of those atrocious limitations on expansion. Tons of lands go unsettled every game and it makes me sick. This is an empire building game dammit, a four city civ should be a glorified city state, not the norm. :cringe:

When you gift a great person(or unit) through the city state screen you wait three turns for the influence to rise because the unit is traveling to the city state. However if you are next to the city state you can gift the unit to the city state and have an immediate boost to influence.

Sometimes an AI comes and asks me if I want to declare war on someone with them, but when I decline and then ask them a turn later if we should go to war against the same player they just wanted to go to war with they always say "We've been over this before, the answer is still no."

Yes, the AI is fickle like that. About all you can do is reload from the turn before. The same thing happens if you turn down a DoF invitation -- you have to wait several many turns before the AI is open to the idea again.

How does modding relate to Steam achievements? Are they all deactivated when running a mod or is that no problem at all?

Yes, Steam achievements are disabled when a running a mod. Some of the mods are actually DLC and those are compatible with Steam achievements. Personally, I like my badges and enjoy the game well enough as-is-out-of-the-box, so I have not tried mods, but I think you should try the main Civ5 Creation forum for questions & requests.

Tons of lands go unsettled every game and it makes me sick. This is an empire building game dammit, a four city civ should be a glorified city state, not the norm.

At higher difficultly levels, the AIs will settle everywhere, and at lower difficulty levels, the player can. The maps, in terms of tile count, are smaller than what we had with III and IV, so, for me, at higher difficulty levels, the relative amount of real-estate (as compared to the AI) seems about the same.

Tons of lands go unsettled every game and it makes me sick. This is an empire building game dammit, a four city civ should be a glorified city state, not the norm. :cringe:

I've come to the conclusion in this game you can be a land whore or a wonder whore but not both. What I mean by that is you can grab all the land and let the wonders go, because your new cities aren't updated. Or you can have a few cities and grab wonders but then you have to watch the good land be settled by you future enemies.

I want to ask something, in my current game I spawn near the Celts, I wanted to make a religion that can boost my culture, but obviously the celts grab all the good religious buildings first, so i changed mi mind and I realize it was better to make a growth based religion and conquer the celts to have both of the religions and somehow manage them to have all the benefits i needed,.

But the thing is that i conquered the Celtic capital when i had only a pantheon and because they have a such powerful religious pressure my holy city turned to be ''not that holy'' at the point that there was no dominant religion in the capital, but i still had one city that had my pantheon as the main religion, and for some reason i can't spawn great prophets so I can't enhance my own religion.

Is this a normal thing? If your holy city get's converted before you can start a religion you can't spawn Great prophets any more?

You say "enhance" so am I correct that you actually founded a religion (not just a pantheon)? If you have founded a religion, you should be able to spawn Great Prophets (they will always be of your religion, even if the Celtic religion has overtaken your religion in all of your cities). If you have only founded a pantheon, you need to check the World Religions screen -- if it says 0 more religions can be founded, then you cannot found a religion.

You say "enhance" so am I correct that you actually founded a religion (not just a pantheon)? If you have founded a religion, you should be able to spawn Great Prophets (they will always be of your religion, even if the Celtic religion has overtaken your religion in all of your cities). If you have only founded a pantheon, you need to check the World Religions screen -- if it says 0 more religions can be founded, then you cannot found a religion.

Thanks Browd!! :goodjob: It was the religion limit, I knew that was only a number of religions available, but i didn't imagine that was the problem, I was convinced that Boadicea cursed my game from her tomb :lol:, sorry I'm so dumb ::p

That shouldnt discourage you from religion though. You can use your remain great prophet to build a shrine and make more faith per turn so that when a religion comes to your civilization, you have faith to make the necessary purchases.

Is there anyway to move the game from full screen to window mode while loading?

I play Path of Exile which takes around 3 minutes to load like Civ V, but I found out you can press Alt + Enter and the game will become windowed. You can then browse the internet while the game load, then press Alt + Enter to go back to full screen when the game's loaded.
Just go with Alt + Tab (I assume you have a Windows computer) but depending on your computer setup it may choke to the point you will not be able to do anything. It won't go to window mode but you can put the browser in foreground and the game in the background.

Just curious....is there any way to tell which AI city has any Great Works before invading it? Right now, I'm at war with Shaka for quite a long time (he had two CS occupied, I liberated one to get rid of warmonger hate from my previous conquest). He's on another continent and I've been using him as punching bag for quite long time to give my troops some XP. I am not going for conquest VC, I don't really need his cities either-on another continent out of sea route range with my capital-so I thought I'll pull a quickie on him as the ending of war. Within one turn, in sequence: capture a city with GW and set in ablaze, liberate his last CS and ask for peace demanding another city with GW, then burn it. That's provided he has any GW out of capital of course...his tourism output is 8, no wonders, so I figure there might be one or two...he's way down in tech, I think he doesn't even have Archaeology for Museum.

Just curious....is there any way to tell which AI city has any Great Works before invading it? Right now, I'm at war with Shaka for quite a long time (he had two CS occupied, I liberated one to get rid of warmonger hate from my previous conquest). He's on another continent and I've been using him as punching bag for quite long time to give my troops some XP. I am not going for conquest VC, I don't really need his cities either-on another continent out of sea route range with my capital-so I thought I'll pull a quickie on him as the ending of war. Within one turn, in sequence: capture a city with GW and set in ablaze, liberate his last CS and ask for peace demanding another city with GW, then burn it. That's provided he has any GW out of capital of course...his tourism output is 8, no wonders, so I figure there might be one or two...he's way down in tech, I think he doesn't even have Archaeology for Museum.

the most reliable way is to put a spy in whatever city you want to know about.

other than that I don't think there's a way to know where his great works are, especially if he doesn't have wonders. you can sort of know which works he has by looking at the trade works window and seeing if he has any available, but it doesn't show where that great work is.

Top Bottom