Viability of Ancient/Classical Wonders on Deity

But I thought that getting to Writing ASAP (and Philosophy after that) was the optimal strategy for any civ? Was I mistaken?

I'm not really sure tbh. I tend to take the techs that let me improve my surrounding tiles the most initially. I don't see Writing as particularly useful if your capital and cities are too small to make use of it.
I get it that the early NC is advantageous but I almost never mine built before turn 100.
I'd rather get my workers improving luxuries so I can sell them off and maybe chop forest to get an early trade route. Early gold can always buy a library later if I need.
I find if I prioritise growth and focus on getting 4-5 cities out and an early military to fend off any aggressive neighbours I can catch up on science by the Renaissance with spies if I need.

But I thought that getting to Writing ASAP (and Philosophy after that) was the optimal strategy for any civ? Was I mistaken?

You are mistaken. Nearby lux tech before writing, animal handling too, since selling horses is good early gold.

Seems we've reached a consensus, more or less. As for which post-classical wonders are viable I'd like to say all of them, but TBH I've never actually gotten Chichen Itza or Alhambra.

You are mistaken. Nearby lux tech before writing, animal handling too, since selling horses is good early gold.

I figured as much, since that is what I usually do in my actual games. What I mentioned earlier is what I thought was the optimal strategy, however I do not actually do it myself since I don't want to be simply optimizing all the time. Good to learn that I wasn't using such a suboptimal tech path after all.

Top Bottom