Late game razing too slow

Dtekkar

Warlord
I'm about a dozen BNW games in now, and I've noticed that tall is a major thing now. I enjoy this, but there is an issue that comes up late in the game with a lot of tradition supercities.

I conquered Babylon. Babylon had two size 40+ cities. They were both burning and in resistance for at least one era, 20 some odd turns later when the game ended.

Given that a game on deity barely lasts 400 turns, the pacing is totally off and having things burn unhappy for that long completely derails a domination VC. When there is a city on every settle-able tile on the map, only being able to have a few in resistance/razing at a time is too slow. And that's with no ideological pressure. Even light ideological pressure compounds this dramatically.

I am aware that I can exploit the AI into recapturing their city by leaving it undefended to wipe out the pop, but I think a more appropriate way of handling this would be something like:

At dynamite, your civ gains a passive called Controlled Demolition. "Lets you deconstruct cities twice as fast." And at radio, Assimilation "Population is in resistance for half the usual time." to accommodate the more compassionate puppeteers among us. But yeah, I think having to switch victory conditions because that formerly 47 pop city just won't burn is a feel bad. What do you think?

Oh yeah. I hate that. Even as Atilla it's annoying how many years it can take to burn a city and everyone inside it to the ground and it slows the pace down way to much even on marathon. I'd love way to speed this up.

I think this is as designed to slow down late game conquest.

And razing a city late game is like slaughtering the population of a small country... It makes sense for it to take a while.

I think this is as designed to slow down late game conquest.

And razing a city late game is like slaughtering the population of a small country... It makes sense for it to take a while.

I'm pretty sure since I have nukes by then and am in the process of murdering everyone in town it shouldn't take that long for a sociopath to get ends met.

Also since everyone else is speeding up at that point I hate for conquest to slow down.

It felt too slow for me too the last time I went for dom. I think I'll try to use nukes next time, see how that works out.

Adding a way to halve the time that it takes for cities to be in resistance sounds good to me. It could also be somewhere more domination specific, like add it to the finisher in the Honor tree.

If you want realism, I'd guess it takes about as long time to kill the first 80% of the population as it takes to kill the remaining 20% (assuming they don't flee and aren't eager to get killed). Although this is just a guess, I never paid attention to this when razing cities in real life.

Might be a nice extra in the autocracy SP tree - call it Ethnic cleansing and it doubles your razing speed

Top Bottom