Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Of course the Science prices increase. That's why playing as the Greeks can offset some of the costs, you get cheaper pikemen from the start to defend your cities with and you get some bonus to science. The AI will still trample all over you anyway.

You guys have been fantastic in your support. I started a new game and most things are starting to work. I can tell a worker to improve the land and he does. I think I had bad terrain on the first try. I managed to get a unit onto a ship. It is still a HUGE leap from Civ II and wish there was an instruction book. I had cities burning and couldn't find any way to do anything about that then by exploring all the tools found a way to communicate with the 'governor' of the city. This is new. There is so much to learn that I will likely be in the introductory mode for a couple of years yet as I don't have much spare time to play.

Yes... the governor can be set to control happiness/food/production in any particular city. Also go to the preferences screen. There you will find several things to help. Like holding (last chance to look over your stuff and try diplomacy) at the end of the turn and such. Don't automate your workers... make them do stuff yourself. Road/irrigate plains/mine grass and hills/chop forest.

There are several sections on this forum that will help... and ask us anything :goodjob: .

Oh yes, never, ever automate your workers (except in laaater times when you can have a small pollution clean-up detail). At best you can use some partial automatisations such as (rail-)road to X place or, build road and colony to that place.

And turn off the 'end turn as soon as you move your last unit' feature or you'll go crazy from it.

Cost Factor is a function of map size and difficulty level. The larger the map the higher the cost. The higher the level the higher the cost.
Hmm, I guess the post I was responding is on another page.

Regent is the base setting, where all the cost are equal for human and AI. Cost Factor is 10.

If you ever created a map that is larger than the normal huge, you need to adjust the cost and a few other things or distorts the science. Here is a chart I made for various sizes:

Map tiles:
std = 100x100 = 10000; 5000 tiles in CAII; 240 CF (1.0); 1x
huge = 160x160 = 16960; 12800 tiles in CAII; 400 CF (1.66); 2.56x
sup200 = 200x200 = 40000; 20000 tiles in CAII; 530 CF (2.21); 4x
sup250 = 250x250 = 62500; 31250 tiles not tested; 650 CF (2.71); 6.25x
sup362 = 362x362 = 131044; 59006 tiles in CAII; 750 CF (3.125); 11.80x tiles of std.

I have found that the 250x250 cf of 650 works very well.

This isn't really a newbie question, but I've started a couple of threads recently and don't want to be considered a board hog, but I started a Sid game, just for the lols, and the main problem I have with Sid is that all the tech costs seem to be extortionate. I thought when you went up in difficulty it just gave bonuses to the other Civs, I had no idea it also conversely punishes the human player.

Tech costs do increase and the step Deity to Sid is immense:

Prince: 100% (10/10)
King: 111.1% (10/9)
Emperor: 125% (10/8)
Demigod: 142.9% (10/7)
Deity: 166.7% (10/6)
Sid: 250% (10/4)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29485

Thanks for the info, I had no idea!

No wonder I get bored so easily on higher levels, I'm totally addicted to watching the tech tree zoom past, but on big maps :lol:

I was playing the game just a while ago when I had workers with no tiles to improve. So, I tried pressing Ctrl N to build a network of railroads but it didn't work. I used the command for the first time so I don't know if it has been changed. I'm playing C3C 1.22 the latest patch.
Thanks

Ctrl N builds a road trade network in the atomatic fashing you mention. For building a road to somewhere use ctrl R. For building a railroad to somewehere use ctrl shift R.

I would advise against any automation of workers.

I stopped automating my workers ... forced me to think about how I use them & change improvements to sit the needs of the moment.

Unrelated question: how is C3C different from regular C3 (v1.29f)?

It is very different. Imo there really is no reason to play any version prior to C3C 1.22. Some people argue that the final version of the first expansion Play the World has advantages. C3C reintroduced the sub bug already solved in PtW, so those people have at least one good point.

It is very different. Imo there really is no reason to play any version prior to C3C 1.22. Some people argue that the final version of the first expansion Play the World has advantages. C3C reintroduced the sub bug already solved in PtW, so those people have at least one good point.
Where can I read about the differences, and where would I upgrade from if I choose to do so? (I'm on tapatalk on my phone right now so my ability to read what I search for is limited.)

Some of the things I thought were useful are in the UI. It did break a few things like armies, but that actually turned out to be more fun. A huge bonus is that there are a ton of mods for C3C to add value to the game.

Some like the CCM mod make the game a lot different. Anyway there was a thread with all the changes here and I would expect it is a sticky. You can often find complete for about 5 dollars US.

Apparently surrounding and attacking a barbarian settlement that has stacks of cav and warriors with elite archers does not yield MGLs. In a game I am playing I have 8-10 elite archers and haven't lost one yet but have won 20+ battles and no MGL.

Sadness increased.

I have never seen a leader from fighting barbarians.

Nope, the rules do not allow it. Armies tend to break the game. Plotinus' The Rood and the Dragon scenario dealt with it by allowing only one army per civ at any one time.

Ctrl N builds a road trade network in the atomatic fashing you mention. For building a road to somewhere use ctrl R. For building a railroad to somewehere use ctrl shift R.

I would advise against any automation of workers.
I know that. What I am asking is why isn't Ctrl + N not working (it works perfectly in Vanilla ) Is anybody else also facing the same problem or is it only me ?

Q1 I just tried to use a GSL in the late industrial era to boost scientific research rather than build a wonder in one turn. The effect was minimal. Well, actually undetectable. What is the effect? Is it ever worth using GSLs this way? If so, when?

Q2 if I have an unused GSL does its existence stop me getting another one? Can you have two or more at a time IOW?

Top Bottom