The DYOS Consul (DYOS XI: 2009-2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replying to this.

Can't you do all that in a day?

No, since I have school, parties, girls, friends, relaxed illustrating, music playing, my band and breaks from those duties to attend to. And drawing comics is fun to me, but I really put my thought into my comics, so it's not really breaks. I am actually contributing quite a lot to DYOS comparing it to how much time I have.

Since when does a long lasting elaborate plot matter? I seriously lost track of it months ago. It was only that there was a single plot coupon that I bothered to keep up and I even didn't know what it did and I still don't.

Well, it matters to me. Actually, I'm investing quite a lot of work and time to build up tension in my current plot - like, currently, we have been presented to three characters in total for a duration of four (Or was it five?) comics, where I have slowed down the pace considerably in order to create an environment, and before anything else, describe the individual characters, how they interact, etc. Fx., what is your impression of the hat-wearing girl compared to the girl with the same eyes as Lord Joakim? Whom do you trust more, or less? Aren't you looking forward to see wherever the hat-wearing girl is taking Joakim? I have planned this out, and I am very excited about what you'll all think about the longer plot that I've planned and created - although not drawn yet. Currently, I'm doing a prologue, or at least trying to.

Man, what a lot of rambling, I actually bored myself from dry speech. We need some smileys now.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

How am I making them irrelevant this time? All I did was blow up a building that happened to be in Japan. I know this isn't The Styles Show, but all I can really do is pursue my own storyline, because anything I do to interact with your people will end up with you calling it powergaming.

I don't think you interacting with us is a bad idea - the problem is that from time to time, your interacting ends up in some kind of spoiling of a mood, or something else. Blowing up a random building unnecessarily, fx, might be amusing to some, but to me, I actually consider it irrelevant to the plot if anything, and is mostly a nuisance of anything. Don't feel mocked that way though. It was, fx., a great interaction when there was that huge rebellion of Pre-Stylesrj avatars against the SAC that ended up in a great war. Bravo! :) You just have to use a little better timing, some consideration what you do. Currently, I have no need to interact with anyone, therefore I don't. And do, again, remember that I'm trying to critisize in a friendly manner - I like you as a contributor, as the Stylesrj rebellion was one of the good and important plots I've followed in my short time in here.

A thing you could do, though, was to include yourself somehow in a fight against Kwai - just shooting beams at cities that CivGeneral controls is usually taken as a bother. You could potentially have Kwai try to ally with the Space Nazis in order to secure The Gem? You could try to desperately align with evil in order to save Thunderfall due to a completely random shooting at him, ending up in you being a giant meat blob in space because you awoke an ancient artifact with its accurate powers currently unknown, resulting in an Indiana Jones-y treasure hunt and you being sincerely pleased when people say they like your ideas and plot twists - oh that was me. :p

But more seriously, being creative is good, being constructive is better. Things like blowing up Earth, fx, is too massive.

More smileys coming up.

:viking::jesus:[pimp] :)

Now, I'd like to take a look at some considerations you could do.

I'll create a plot twist at random.

I'll take your character, Dostya, that I've understood is some kind of subtle sneaky kind of character, while still being an advisor to Stylesrj. The purpose of this plot twist would be to be more intervened in the main plot. Let's start out with the simple things. We need a purpose of the plot twist, and a theme.

lj's "Dostya Intervenes" Plot Twist

Purpose of plot twist: I want to increase the amount of interaction in between CivGeneral's and my plot.
Theme of plot twist: Hmm, he's in space, like most people, so I'll do the space thing.

Now, to brainstorm. Dostya can fly a space shuttle, can't she? Well, let's say she sits in a space station, and she is - let's say - at war with CivGeneral's space empire, or let's just say he has one if I misunderstood something. She wants to do some damage to CivGeneral. How can she do that?

Further random thoughts: An idea could be to spot a space station of CivGeneral. The obvious thing is to blow it up. That's pretty simple to boot. The problem is, though, that then the whole thing isn't interaction - it's just too random, it's too unimportant on a larger scale, and still if CivGeneral has to interfere with it, it's... just not constructive. So, we need another idea.

The new idea: Dostya is stealthy and smart, isn't she? Well, instead of, say, shooting a huge laser at CivGeneral's space station and blowing it up, let's say that she needs something inside it. Not the Gem of course - too important, like blowing up Earth in plot terms. Let's say... A data disc. A data disc is good for plot purposes, since its insides are concealed, and it's usually important or has useful information. So she won't blow up the space ship. She'll infiltrate it. Infiltration is always good in plots btw, as you're usually surrounded by enemies, so it'll be exciting per default.

So, how to build this? I think the best way is to make three comics - one with Dostya leaving for CivGeneral's space ship, one with the actual theft, and one with her leaving the ship. That's a pretty decent setup, and people will be excited. This way, you'll also get to explain the plot with the first comic, then fulfill with the second and third comic; also, you can leave a cliffhanger in between the second and third (Classic cliffhanger being the alarm going off after Dostya steals the data disc). So, let's write something more concrete.

Comic One: Dostya sits in her space station. She speaks with an officer about something important that she needs to get - and the information about that thing is in the data disc. The officer gives her a special item inside her bag and lets her off. She then leaves in a small stealth shuttle for CivGeneral's space station, in which the data disc is present.

Comic Two: Dostya flies in cloaked form onto the top of the space station - note that the cloak field has to have weaknesses, fx it could fail whenever getting too close to electronic systems. Let's go with that. She opens the roof somehow or at least gets into the hallways, sneaks past some guards with an inserted pun, and finds the main computer, in which the data disc is inserted. She takes the disc, but since she is close to an electronic system, her cloaking field doesn't work and she is discovered by a guard, who yells and raises the alarm. Then out of a sudden several SWAT-like guards drop down from the ceiling in ropes and are surrounding Dostya. Cliffhanger!

Comic Three: Guards yell at Dostya about her requiring to surrender. She doesn't say anything but thinks in thought bubbles "How am I supposed to get out of this?", then realizes that the officer from her own space station gave her a special item - taking it out of the bag, she sees it's a smoke ball. She throws it, a loud bang and lots of smoke, and she escapes the room with gunshots firing everywhere. She runs through the halls with lasers and traps and blahblah before finally getting back to her space ship and flying back into space.

What's good about this plot: Data discs are good for you. It has information, and is hidden, like a treasure chest or whatever. Hidden treasures are good for you. Stealing that data disc could lead to CivGeneral a) missing that data disc made him unable to locate X or find out about X because the information was missing or b) that data disc had the information about the whereabouts of X that Dostya wanted, one same thing CivGeneral didn't want to lose. Of the two, the former is probably the better thing, especially as it allows for more plot play on both sides.

What requires for the plot to succeed: Interestingly, a plot like this doesn't really require that much work from your side in order to get CivGeneral to respond plot-wisely. You just have to draw a decent comic. However, in order to have the required response, it's actually on CivGeneral's or Thorvald's shoulders, they have to accept that comic as canon and play on it. Like when I went to Arrakis on a mysterious trip - eventually, everybody played along because the plot twist was mysterious and allowed for responses. Also, again, hidden treasures are good for you.

I hope this was helpful! Remember, I did this for your help, since I don't like people yelling at you either.

My comics read left to right. As like a book. Stylesjl's are read up to down. I thought my layout was fine.

The Star Blazers stuff is not meant to make sense. It's just me making fun of Star Blazers... and because of the lack of a 4th wall, Kwai and Leang eventually got sick of them, I'm sure you were sick of them as well.

My last two comics actually were just showing off my not-so-l33t photoshop skills. I got my two main characters and put them as Dawn of War characters. That could have gone in Best of DYOS, but I decided they could be expanded upon and such I tried to make it seem to fit into the plot.

Also, because it wouldn't be fun to rush in and grab the Gem, I'm making my end of the plot slow with plenty of irrelevant villains and delays to make sure he can't just get it in one go.

I vote nay then. You sound reasonable. :) But please read my above post btw, I think it'll be quite helpful if you want interaction.

To be perfectly honest I can't see why getting frustrated at our comics in the two threads warrants a motion to have us put on probation. We are aren't deliberately trying to derail the plot or be annoying, in actual fact both of comic series simply ignore everyone else for the most part. However I can see that at least in my particular case it would probably be best if I did a serious overhaul and stuck to the main plot more often

No, since I have school, parties, girls, friends, relaxed illustrating, music playing, my band and breaks from those duties to attend to. And drawing comics is fun to me, but I really put my thought into my comics, so it's not really breaks. I am actually contributing quite a lot to DYOS comparing it to how much time I have.

There's a period of time when I get good ideas, and then there's a massive period of time where I get lazy and Google up random images to do something. I think it's the lazy period for me at the moment :(

Well, it matters to me. -snip-

Not really sure what to make of it. I have to trust your character the most since they're the "main character" or the good guy... but then again, you were working with the bad guy for the greater good or were you?

I don't think you interacting with us is a bad idea - the problem is that from time to time, your interacting ends up in some kind of spoiling of a mood, or something else.

I sometimes wish I could have expanded on the avatar wars a bit more. There was going to be a lot of potential with my avatars. Things like rounding up the rogue avatars with an epic battle near the end between me and SEAL SEAL with Avatar Capturing Staffs and the Heck Outta Here connected to them.

A thing you could do, though, was to include yourself somehow in a fight against Kwai - just shooting beams at cities that CivGeneral controls is usually taken as a bother

Well my character himself is in the other DYOS thread after his ship was destroyed by a mysterious force. So he can't be on Earth to fight with or against Kwai.

As for Space Nazis, perhaps Kwai has to destroy an outpost or something in a big many part battle, with a one of one fight at the end. I'm thinking of a chainsword :lol:

lj's "Dostya Intervenes" Plot Twist

That sounds like a good idea. Much better than blowing up random buildings...
I did have plans for Dostya to be one of those stealthy people who keep following Kwai and causing obstructions while he's on the path, but a data disc or a hidden superweapon that's different to the Gem sounds better than launching Cruise Missiles in hopes of a cheap laugh.

The Cruise Missile was good at first, but now the joke is dry.

Thanks Joakim for your help.

Never a problem Stylesrj. :) Remember that we do want you here - all of us. :)

A thing you could do, though, was to include yourself somehow in a fight against Kwai - just shooting beams at cities that CivGeneral controls is usually taken as a bother.
No questions about it, it is a bother and an annoyance. I'm not playing a game of Risk or or Civilization here. There's a nother forum and thread (Lazy NES anyone?) for that.

You could potentially have Kwai try to ally with the Space Nazis in order to secure The Gem?
That would be a more reasonable way to handle it, than going Leroy Jenkins into one of my cities in a massive powergaming session.

You could try to desperately align with evil in order to save Thunderfall due to a completely random shooting at him, ending up in you being a giant meat blob in space because you awoke an ancient artifact with its accurate powers currently unknown, resulting in an Indiana Jones-y treasure hunt
Oh such memories on seeing classic avatar L_J singing and bumping into a thread and seeing Thunderfall pop out and Thorvald peeling out of the thread and urging you not to shoot! :thumbsup:.

But more seriously, being creative is good, being constructive is better. Things like blowing up Earth, fx, is too massive.
Blowing up planets gets old after a while. Which is why both inside the DYOS and outside, the Republic of Coruscant (Which is my own Micronation that spans the galaxy) the use of the Death Star, Eclipse Destroyers, and anything using a planet buster super laser is strictly only authorized by the Chancellor himself as they are used as form of deterrent (In this case in the DYOS, the MAD doctrine between the Republic of Coruscant and the Combine Empire). Just like in the United States the American President has the final say on when to launch the nukes.

Really, blowing up Earth just gets old after a bunch of DYOSes.

Let's not forget us old farts who work full time ;). I'm sure I can add in on that. When I make my comic, I actualy put a lot of thought into my comics. Especially since I am working with mechinama materials (Garry's Mod & Fallout 3) and photoshopping (mostly using green techniques). With Garry's Mod, I have to find a good location to rig my poses at, take screenshots, and manipulate ragdolls and objects. I'm not blessed with the artistic talent of drawing on paper (Plus I have a broken scanner).

what is your impression of the hat-wearing girl compared to the girl with the same eyes as Lord Joakim? Whom do you trust more, or less? Aren't you looking forward to see wherever the hat-wearing girl is taking Joakim? I have planned this out, and I am very excited about what you'll all think about the longer plot that I've planned and created - although not drawn yet.
As of now, Since I am with Thorvald and Spoungebob (e350tb) anyway, It's unknown at this point since myself nor Samus have interacted with them (Don't mind me, I tend to place myself as a DYOS character ;)), yet. From a third person POV, I'd say I'd trust the "same eyes as Lord Joakim" girl more.

Just adding this:

I approve of CivGeneral's post overall, thank him for his compliments, agrees with practically everything he says and am happy to know his thoughts of my girls.

Thank you for mention this. Styles, he's right, we have other things to do besides DYOS. We like to put effort into our comics, and that requires time and inspiration, something we both can go a while without getting. Right now, I'm a bit lacking in inspiration and can't think of a comic to write, which is why I've so far only posted one comic in each thread. I also have other things to do that eat up my time, which is why I don't post comics much even when I have an idea.

A change of pace from the arguments and debates:
New gear and uniform for myself (Though this uniform will be a rarity in the DYOS X part II).

CivGeneral in a Coruscant Republic Officer's uniform

Found the Chinese Commando Hat (Technically a Ushanka) from Fallout 3 ported into Garry's Mod as well as some Sci-Fi Officer's uniform (Which were seen in my last posted comic in DYOS X part II). Right now it's just a show case since I am planing to reskin the Chinese Commando Ushanka to contain the Republic Emblem (Same thing I am going to do with the Enclave Offer's Hat) as well as reskin (as much as I can) the Sci-fi uniform to contain a set of ribbon bars.

Oh and expect to see myself welding a laser pistol soon ;)

Very nice uniform, though it has some very oversized leg...armour...thingys.

Are you welding it to your anti-tank rifle? Or were you meant to say wielding in which case, I make a joke about your weapon size :p
No Styles, I'm not welding anything to other weapons. Don't be an ass and a Spelling/Gramar Nazi Styles :rolleyes:.

Very nice uniform, though it has some very oversized leg...armour...thingys.
That's actualy a field officer variant that you see. Coruscanti officers in the field typicaly wear them when operating in the field. the non-field version has no armor padding.

CivGeneral said:
I am planing to reskin the Chinese Commando Ushanka
Oh. For a moment there, I thought I was rubbing off on you. ;)

Anyway, while I have the space, let me say I'll be tuning in every week to the adventures of Kevin Rudd. :thumbsup:

No Styles, I'm not welding anything to other weapons. Don't be an ass and a Spelling/Gramar Nazi Styles

I just wanted to know if you were welding or wielding because now I can make jokes about your weapon size :p

Why don't you weld the weapons together? It's probably a better idea to get an extension to your weapon rather than go for something smaller.
But then again, you could easily draw out a smaller weapon when you need it.
Would Samus really appreciate the lower power and penetration?

From the looks of things though, the smaller weapon can discharge multiple times, while the larger weapon gives off one big load and requires a long reload.

choxorn said:
That's one of the many reasons why she doesn't like you.

Seriously though, welding a pistol to a rifle is a stupid idea. The rifle gains no benefit, and the manoeuvrability of the pistol is severely compromised. If you want to nit-pick schematics, take it up through PM and leave this thread clean.

P.S: From what I've seen, many anti-tank rifles have magazines.

Seriously though, welding a pistol to a rifle is a stupid idea. The rifle gains no benefit, and the manoeuvrability of the pistol is severely compromised. If you want to nit-pick schematics, take it up through PM and leave this thread clean.

Ar yew sayin' dat stickin' one bit of dakka to anutter bit of dakka is nut a gud eyedear?

P.S: From what I've seen, many anti-tank rifles have magazines.

Ok then, so the bigger weapon is able to discharge multiple times, but the smaller one can fire more often and is quicker to reload.

Oh. For a moment there, I thought I was rubbing off on you. ;)
I've liked thoes Russian hats. The one ported from Fallout 3 contains the seal of the Chinese Army. If you like I can make a reskin variant for you, If I know the Eastern Union's colors :).

I just wanted to know if you were welding or wielding because now I can make jokes about your weapon size :p
How about we make jokes about your powergaming.

Stylesrj said:
Why don't you weld the weapons together? It's probably a better idea to get an extension to your weapon rather than go for something smaller.
No, it's a rather stupid and foolish idea. The laser pistol is too bulky and powerful to be used as a laser sight anywhay.

Stylesrj said:
"It's not the size mate, it's how you use it." - Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)

Stylesrj said:
From the looks of things though, the smaller weapon can discharge multiple times, while the larger weapon gives off one big load and requires a long reload.
The Boys Antitank rifle contains a magazine. Unlike the Polish Antitank rifle used early in WWII.
Stylesrj said:
That's one of the many reasons why she doesn't like you. :p
ZING!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom